HTC One (M8): Premium is an understatement

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Premium is an understatement

Does it feel premium? Well, I think that it does because it's metal and not plastic. Do I feel like its a premium device? No. Not in my opinion. A premium phone has a premium screen and a premium camera to go with the premium feel. This phone doesn't for me. While I love metal phones and love the feel of them, this one isn't doing it for me. It'll be my short term phone until something better comes along. However, I rarely keep a phone longer than 9 months, it'll just be 2 or 3 for this one.

You can't please everyone. No device will ever be perfect. I understand the upgrading your phone a lot thing, i am the same. But the M8 may be the first phone that i may keep for a while. What phone do you think is "PREMIUM"? You can argue this every which way on all devices.

So is a regular Lamborghini Murcielago not premium, because the upgraded model/trim the Lamborghini Murci?lago LP 670–4 SuperVeloce has more horsepower and fancy trim?

OR even better, is a Ferrari Enzo which cost over a million dollars. Not premium because it doesn't cup holders, radio and roll up windows? ;)

Last edited:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

This is the best phone I've every had and me and my husband have both had every EVO then the HTC One M7 and now this. It gets better and better. I have never had an iphone or been an apple fan but I do tell people to look at both HTC and Galaxy when recommending phones but tell then I prefer HTC. I love Sense and this new M8 is the best phone I've ever had. I know the M7 won top smartphone for last year. Now to just get the Burgundy dot case to try and I need a kickstand case. I wouldn't mind having a clear case too cause it's a little big with my Otterbox Commuter. But the Zagg glass screen protector is the best too.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

It is one terrific device! Blazingly fast, great camera and it runs so smooth. It is easily smartphone of 2014 IMO.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I have loved my m7 this past year! But you guys are killing me! I'm so jealous! 5-1 when the store opens I will have one!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

You can't please everyone. No device will ever be perfect. I understand the upgrading your phone a lot thing, i am the same. But the M8 may be the first phone that i may keep for a while. What phone do you think is "PREMIUM"? You can argue this every which way on all devices.

So is a regular Lamborghini Murcielago not premium, because the upgraded model/trim the Lamborghini Murci?lago LP 670–4 SuperVeloce has more horsepower and fancy trim?

OR even better, is a Ferrari Enzo which cost over a million dollars. Not premium because it doesn't cup holders, radio and roll up windows? ;)

Same thing for you. I was commenting on the OPs use of the word Premium. It's not in my onion.

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

I've owned the iphone 1, 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s and finally 5. You could say I quite like apple phones... the HTC one M8 is the first phone which was able to break that streak for me. I work in IT so we order phones all the time for testing so have tried them all and very quickly noticed little annoyances with all of the none apple alternatives, enter the HTC one m8, don't get me wrong - it does have a few things that annoy me, but I sideloaded the Google Now Launcher and that solved most of them.

What a phone, I know the camera is dissapointing for some but I suggest you do something strange - actually try it and ignore the specs for once. I find that its absolutely fantastic at what most people use their phone camera for... I swear sometimes people want their tech to be able to do stuff in theory when in reality its never used for that, such as prints etc.

I am a avid photographer and have tonnes of photography kit, I really don't see the point in phones having 20MP cameras etc, for one they are not usable at full size as the sensor is not good enough to create a high MP photo which can be used at 100%, secondly, almost everyone either uploads photos to social media or leaves them on their phones. In which case anything more than 4MP makes no sense. I know everyones not the same but personally I don't need my camera phone to be 20MP as I have a proper camera that does that for me (Sony A6000).

I think that HTC have created a phone and camera which works extremely well in actual life, which is why people seem to get one and absolutely love it, its similar to what attracted me to the iphones, on paper all the android alternatives were "better" when in reality and real use they were not. Until now. The build quality is second to none, I have a work iPhone 5s still and it just doesnt compare, plus that screen - damn I just couldn't use another phone now. I dare say its probably the best screen I've ever used, of any device not just a phone.

Again an actual photographer speaking the truth about smartphone cameras in general. The cameras on most smartphones are good enough for what they are used for. How many actual photographers have to keep saying that before this back and forth will go away. So like many have said that they don't want to have a smartphone and a proper camera, if that is the case and the camera means that much to you go to the forum with the smartphone of your choice that has the camera that you like and stop coming to this forum trolling and whining how the camera on this smartphone is not good enough.

Ice

quanitc

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I don't want to digress too much on the camera tangent, but peoples opinions on the matter surprise me for another reason (other than quality). Some of the best cameras in the world take poor photographs if you don't know what you are doing.

Give someone a DSLR who is used to a point and shoot and they will tell you that its a bad camera. I would argue that the M8's camera is a similar beast, yes it has its limitations but are people forgetting that of course HTC could have put a 16mp camera in exactly the same as Samsung did with the S5 - if they had wanted to... this move was on purpose. It was a conscious decision and once you LEARN to use it or even just try to use it for more than 5 minutes you can see what they had in mind.

I think the same can be said for Android VS iOS too, sure Android is more difficult for someone to pick up and instantly use, but is that the ultimate goal here? Best experience/results with the least practice. I can assure you, a ferrari is much harder to drive than a ford fiesta. Spend a week using an M8 and I defy you to have the same doubts you have now.

I sound like a HTC fanboy, believe me I was more than happy with my iPhones, until the screen size became inadequate. The HTC One M8 does what it is intended to do absolutely brilliantly, and for once the things that are "missing" are intended. This is a very Apple way of thinking, (I mean that as a compliment) I feel like Samsung are taking the same approach as they do with their TVs, which is to add all the buzz features but not actually care about the little things.

The devil is in the detail, HTC finally gets it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter