HTC One Slow Battery Charge fixes and answers?

CyborgSon

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I had read a few posts on the issues which plague the HTC one's battery but none gave a clear answer. I decided to post a thread with some clear answers as I've recently overcome this issue.

Firstly, delete any apps with additional advertising on the status bar etc. Many of these can drain the battery as they run in the background.

Secondly, double tap the home screen button on the bottom right and turn off any apps which could be draining the battery.

Next you should pull down the notification bar and turn on power saver mode. This is vital if you want to speed up charge times.

Lastly, and most importantly you need to make sure you use the original HTC cable supplied with your phone. Make sure it is plugged into a mains socket with strong output. After I completed the last two steps in particular, my charge speed tripled from 6 hours to roughly 2 hrs 30 mins.

I recommend anyone to try this method, and also wait until your battery is down below 10% before every charge. This will increase the longevity of your battery.

I hope this works for you and feel free to add suggestions, good luck!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your tips. If people are having problems with the long charging time and just cannot get over the fact and live with it, they can enable Qualcomm's Quick Charge feature by installing a kernel if they're running a 4.1.2 based ROM, like ElementalX or Bulletproof.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think letting it drop below 10% before every charge is a good idea.. Everything I've read about today's batteries they say it's better to keep em charged.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I recommend anyone to try this method, and also wait until your battery is down below 10% before every charge. This will increase the longevity of your battery.
This is the opposite of what you should do. The deeper the discharge the more harm is done to longevity. If you can charge, charge.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This thread is basically saying to use basic battery saving tips to make it charge faster. Well, yeah. If you have stuff using the battery while it's charging then it'll take longer. It's like someone watching a video while charging VS someone who's phone is off. Which will take longer? Not hard to guess.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This is the opposite of what you should do. The deeper the discharge the more harm is done to longevity. If you can charge, charge.

This is exactly correct. Deeper discharges decrease the cycles on a battery. The less the discharge the more cycles the battery can handle. Always top it off when possible and never go below 10 percent if possible.

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
The only time you should ever intentionally fully discharge a Li-ion battery is if your phone is not properly reading the battery. In other words, if you go from 100% -> 90% in ten minutes but go from 90% -> 80% in one hour with the same amount of usage, that means your phone is not reading the battery output evenly. If this is the case, then fully discharging your battery once and then recharging it can fix the issue of your phone not reading the battery properly. Take note, however, this full discharge/recharge won?t increase your battery life ? it will only ensure your phone reads the battery properly.

CyborgSon

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Sorry you are correct, I meant to say don't let your battery go below 10%. I'm typing this on a smartphone so excuse any mistakes :-[

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of charging and discharging, I tried using my ONE as my GPS on a trip to Florida a week ago. I had a mount for the windshield and plugged it into the car accessory plug. I installed a widget called WakeLock so the screen would not go to sleep. I set the screen brightness so I could actually see the thing and Off I went.

So, with Navigation running and it on power, the phone still was using more power than the charge from the car could keep up with. The plug was rated at 1A but that was not enough. I abandoned that idea about 10 miles into the trip and went back to the old school Magellan unit I have.

I never had this problem with any iPhone I had. I would always dock the iPhone in a dash holder and have it turned on during any trip in the car. It always charged regardless of what I was using it for. But I'm over the iPhone for now...

JimmyChichi

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of charging and discharging, I tried using my ONE as my GPS on a trip to Florida a week ago. I had a mount for the windshield and plugged it into the car accessory plug. I installed a widget called WakeLock so the screen would not go to sleep. I set the screen brightness so I could actually see the thing and Off I went.

So, with Navigation running and it on power, the phone still was using more power than the charge from the car could keep up with. The plug was rated at 1A but that was not enough. I abandoned that idea about 10 miles into the trip and went back to the old school Magellan unit I have.

I never had this problem with any iPhone I had. I would always dock the iPhone in a dash holder and have it turned on during any trip in the car. It always charged regardless of what I was using it for. But I'm over the iPhone for now...

Had the same issue, but why do you need the screen on all the time on a long trip?

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Had the same issue, but why do you need the screen on all the time on a long trip?

Using it for a navigation device it's nice to see where you are at any given moment. Not that I'm prone to getting lost or anything. :)

No other real good reason just habit I guess from my iPhone days. Easy to see when emails/notifications come in and not having to unlock when that happens.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

What navigation software are you using?

I believe with Google Nav that you can download the trip in advance. That way, the phone isn't constantly using data to update the map, only GPS. If that works, that should save quite a bit of battery.

But as alluded to above, it's the screen that is main culprit of sucking the battery in that situation. You didn't have that problem with your IPhone because the One's screen is quite a bit larger, has a higher pixel density, and is also a lot brighter.

59er9er

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Using it for a navigation device it's nice to see where you are at any given moment. Not that I'm prone to getting lost or anything. :)

No other real good reason just habit I guess from my iPhone days. Easy to see when emails/notifications come in and not having to unlock when that happens.

I must add that this surprised me as well, coming from an iPhone. Even with the screen off the charge rate is so slow that I have to close all open apps so that the battery actually charges while plugged in. Yesterday when my battery got down below 25% I got a warning that the charge rate was lower than consumption :eek: As much as I like having a much larger screen for navigation the big downside is more fiddling with the device to turn the screen on, punch in PIN then relaunch Waze to resume from where it left off.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I have been using a 2amp battery car charger with
A charge only cable(not data/charge) from amazon. Com
It not only keeps up with gps in use but fully charges the phone. If I keep it plugged in. If you use the oem data/sync cable? You will only get between .3-.5 amps of charge.
With the charge only cable? It will think that the phone is
Plugged into your A/C outlet and let your phone charge at the rate it is asking for 1-2 amps. I have been using this ever since I got my HTC One about 3 months ago with no ill effects on my phone or battery. I getting really good recharge time especially, in power save mode.

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
It not only keeps up with gps in use but fully charges the phone. If I keep it plugged in. If you use the oem data/sync cable? You will only get between .3-.5 amps of charge.
Plugged into your A/C outlet and let your phone charge at the rate it is asking for 1-2 amps. I have been using this ever since I got my HTC One about 3 months ago with no ill effects on my phone or battery. I getting really good recharge time especially, in power save mode.

Do you have a link to the charger you got on Amazon?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Do you have a link to the charger you got on Amazon?

I would like to know as well please :D .

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

remix1982

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I found this great post trying to find the answer to this question and its actually pretty dead on and makes total sense. The culprit is apparently some usb car adapters that only charge in USB mode. The official HTC car adapter apparently charges in AC

Alex Halpin

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I recently had my htc charger that cae with my one break so i dug through all of my technology bins and found an LG charge only charger (not usb, direct connect to wall adapter) and it increased my charge rate incredibly. With my old htc charger (data/charge) it took about 5 minutes to get around 1 percent *slight exageration* it was horrible. now i get around 1 percent per minute. Its only a .7 amps charger though. :-\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey