Htc Thunderbolt And Android

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
My questions are Since we know the Thunderbolt ships with froyo, How long would we have to wait for Gingerbread? And If the Tbolt will be able to hand Honey comb and or Ice cream, because of all the dual core required rumors.

I mean The Tbolt looks like a fantastic phone, and would be a definite upgrade from my Huawei Ascend. But do you guys think it is wiser to just wait for the Bionic or just get the 1 year contract with Tbolt and see what happens next year.

Quick overlook of The Tbolt:

Networks: LTE 700, CDMA EvDO revA
Operating system: Android™ 2.2 + HTC Sense
Display: 4.3” WVGA TFT capacitive touch screen
Camera: 8MP with autofocus, LED Flash (2x LED), 1.3MP front facing camera
Memory: 8GB emmc + 768 RAM Memory card, preinstalled 32 GB microSD™
WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth: 2.1 with EDR (3.0 when available)
GPS: GPS/AGPS
Battery: 1400 mAh
Special features: Dual mics with noise cancellation, Surround sound, Compass sensor, G-Sensor, Proximity sensor, Light sensor, 3.5mm audio jack, MicroUSB, FM radio, LTE SIM slot , TI audio DSP
Chipset: Qualcomm? MSM8655, 1GHz, Qualcomm MDM9600

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well I plan on rooting mine, and getting a custom ROM, likely AOSP based that is Gingerbread based. Other than that I would say May/June time frame.

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I plan on rooting mine, and getting a custom ROM, likely AOSP based that is Gingerbread based. Other than that I would say May/June time frame.

I plan on rooting it only after someone else has posted a successful video of it. I have never tried to modify boot animations, or splash screens, or even roms.

I rooted My Ascend just for the root apps. But I think I want to give roms and kernels a go. And May/June will saden me, because i'll have to stick with cricket for a long time then. Good thing they don't use contracts.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I plan on getting it with a 1 year contract and seeing what kind of dual core love is available around Christmas. Bottom line, we are ready for dual core, the software is not. Side by side, you won't see a noticeable difference, so I am going with a phone I can customize. (Root and reflash w/ the rom of my choice)

But, that's just me...

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I plan on getting it with a 1 year contract and seeing what kind of dual core love is available around Christmas. Bottom line, we are ready for dual core, the software is not. Side by side, you won't see a noticeable difference, so I am going with a phone I can customize. (Root and reflash w/ the rom of my choice)

But, that's just me...
I was thinking of throwing it on a one year contract as well, Who knows maybe we'll be tasting Ice cream early next year.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
i don't know anyone that is planning on getting the TB and a 2 year contract. what is that saying about our faith in the device?! lol

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
When The Tbolt comes out i'll be a new Verizon customer. So I expect to be really impressed Cricket /Metro PCS is a lame network.

@Paul: We are just keeping our options open. We are only "friends" with the Tbolt ~.-

Last edited:

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
@Paul: We are just keeping our options open. We are only "friends" with the Tbolt ~.-

haha, yeah.... it's sad that we wait so long for this cutting edge technology, but as soon as it's finally here, we don't wanna hang onto it for very long cause the next latest and greatest will come along and scoop us away.

bmcclure937

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Go for a 1 year contract. Then you can keep your options open down the road. The current development cycle of Android and the hardware for these amazing devices is so fast paced that it would be stupid to lock yourself into a 2 year contract.

Get a 1 year contract and then sell your device while you can still make some money off of it!

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Go for a 1 year contract. Then you can keep your options open down the road. The current development cycle of Android and the hardware for these amazing devices is so fast paced that it would be stupid to lock yourself into a 2 year contract.

Get a 1 year contract and then sell your device while you can still make some money off of it!
I agree theese phones are super powered and fantastic.. for now at least, you know how the tech scene goes new technology comes out then a few months later its old news and there is some now tech that makes the old tech look elderly.

I'm glad the Verizon killing 1 year contracts rumor was just that a rumor that was dispelled.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
My questions are Since we know the Thunderbolt ships with froyo, How long would we have to wait for Gingerbread? And If the Tbolt will be able to hand Honey comb and or Ice cream, because of all the dual core required rumors

According to Google, there is no dual core requirement for any of the future Android OS revisions.

Reactions: INK

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: INK

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boxxtronix