Huawei Mate 10 pro to OnePlus 6

shoaib shah

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I have had the Huawei mate 10 pro for a couple of months now. Great all round device with stellar battery life and strong camera but I am bit underwhelmed with the user interface EMUI and the lack of system updates.

Thinking of switching to a different phone similar price bracket and have considered OnePlus for a long time but stayed away because of some lack of features in the past which have been mostly addressed.

Looks like a great device apart from the notch but there's ways around that.

Anyone help me to warm up to buying this especially the experienced OnePlus owners out there. Is the Oxygen OS a breath of fresh air and what other things can you like about this device.

Thanks in advance 👍

P.S I have never owned a OnePlus device or seen one in the wild so this would be totally new ground for me.

Last edited:

Derek W1

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I just went from a regular Mate 10 to the OnePlus 6, I am not going back, the OnePlus 6 is a fantastic phone that does everything you would ever need a phone to do. Plus stock Android and updates.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I have had the Huawei mate 10 pro for a couple of months now. Great all round device with stellar battery life and strong camera but I am bit underwhelmed with the user interface EMUI and the lack of system updates.

Thinking of switching to a different phone similar price bracket and have considered OnePlus for a long time but stayed away because of some lack of features in the past which have been mostly addressed.

Looks like a great device apart from the notch but there's ways around that.

Anyone help me to warm up to buying this especially the experienced OnePlus owners out there. Is the Oxygen OS a breath of fresh air and what other things can you like about this device.

Thanks in advance 👍

P.S I have never owned a OnePlus device or seen one in the wild so this would be totally new ground for me.

Here's to hoping you make the switch! It's a great device and one plus has really come a long way. Not a fanboy here, but I am a fan of the two phones I've had of theirs (OP3 and OP6). Here's why:

My first want in a smartphone is fluidity and consistent performance. That's really what I feel one plus has pretty much perfected. There's never any lag or slowdowns and the software just works.

The nice little additions over stock Android while still keeping the stock Android feel. Things like double tap to wake and screen off gestures, better face unlock, super fast fingerprint sensor (seriously just tap it and it'll turn on), extended screenshots, the gestures are actually really nice to have, and of course, the performance.

Nothing ground breaking here, but it all works superbly.

Battery life is really good, dash charging is still the fastest around (that I know of), the screen is really good, the buttons have a really good feel, the phone is the best feeling piece of mobile hardware I've held, and then there's the simple little alert slider.

It's not all dandy, though. The camera is good. Nowhere near great. And I don't think it's as good as the sites that really rave about this phone and how good the camera has become. But it's good enough (my pixel 2 XL spoiled me, really). The speaker is meh. The vibration motor is meh. The notch I don't mind, my first phone with it and I like it. But I think these are things you should already know about this device. Or at least they're all pretty well known.

Oh yeah, and software updates are definitely some of the best. OnePlus tends to take care of bug fixes and such before updating to the latest security patch, but at least they're doing something. This is one thing I don't get. People complain about bugs on every phone, then once they get a company that fixes said bugs quickly, they complain about not having this months security patch. Classic. And really not a big deal.

Yeah...so there's my take. Any questions?

Edit: I do think security updates are important and oneplus should get them updated as quickly as possible. But they can only address so much at once. They'll get there.

Last edited:

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the Mate 9 and it's a fantastic phone but I'm on the fence to upgrading to the Mate 10 Pro. I love the battery life and the camera is awesome on the Mate 9 though I want to go back to a more stock android experience (I came from the Motorola X Pure, Moto X II and the original Moto X). Definitely interested in the opinion of the One Plus 6 and specifically the battery and camera (2 areas where the Mate 9 excels).

David Fung

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
with the notch I tried to have it but some apps doesnt work it and some stuff usually hide behind the notch, U can still hide the notch which I did.

Derek W1

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I currently have the Mate 9 and it's a fantastic phone but I'm on the fence to upgrading to the Mate 10 Pro. I love the battery life and the camera is awesome on the Mate 9 though I want to go back to a more stock android experience (I came from the Motorola X Pure, Moto X II and the original Moto X). Definitely interested in the opinion of the One Plus 6 and specifically the battery and camera (2 areas where the Mate 9 excels).

I own the mate 9 as well, my dad is using it now, the screen and camera are better on the OP6. The 6 does better in low light than the mate 9 does, battery life is longer on the mate 9 but then it does have a much bigger battery. I get 6 hours of SOT on my 6 so that gets me though the day with battery to spare. Updates are a lot better on the 6 as well.

Derek W1

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site

There's my battery life for today, as you can see, it's doing fantastic.

Attachments

• 2665.jpg
    2665.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 128

Jure Papez

Jun 21, 2018
Visit site
I've been deciding between p20 which I can get for 420€ or OP6 and the fact that EMUI is from the information that I could gather online way worse than what you get on OP 6 just because of the bloatware and updates.. I've also heard that P20's performance isnt the greatest and notch is ruining some of the apps like instagram etc.. I'm also really frustrated at the fact that I cant find any update notes / patch notes for EMUI . I really don't know why It's that hard to post that stuff somewhere so people can see what you're changing and adding.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been deciding between p20 which I can get for 420€ or OP6 and the fact that EMUI is from the information that I could gather online way worse than what you get on OP 6 just because of the bloatware and updates.. I've also heard that P20's performance isnt the greatest and notch is ruining some of the apps like instagram etc.. I'm also really frustrated at the fact that I cant find any update notes / patch notes for EMUI . I really don't know why It's that hard to post that stuff somewhere so people can see what you're changing and adding.

I considerd the OP6 but ended up with a p20 pro. while the OP6 is a nice phone Its in no way on par with the p20 pro. IMHO.

Derek W1

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I considerd the OP6 but ended up with a p20 pro. while the OP6 is a nice phone Its in no way on par with the p20 pro. IMHO.

I don't own a P20, but I do own a Mate 10 and a OnePlus 6. The Kirin 970 that is on both the Mate 10 and P20, is a fantastic chip but it don't beat the Snapdragon 845.
Now camera wise, from I've seen, the P20 plus is fantastic, the OnePlus 6 has a lot better camera than any other OnePlus phone has ever had but it can't beat the P20 pro. As for performance, I never had a prob on my Mate 10, it is fast and smooth but the OnePlus 6 is that much faster and smoother.
Updates, it's not even a challenge, OnePlus wins that battle every time, Pixel is the only phone I know if that gets updates faster than OnePlus.
Each phone does different things better, but they are definitely on par with each other. And the one area that OnePlus wins hands down is price.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

Just wait for the Mate 20 unless you're looking to get a good deal on the 10 Pro now, I have the 10 Pro it's definitely worth the upgrade but at this point I'd wait for the Mate 20 that's coming out in a few months.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

I got two updates within a week of getting the P20 Pro, and EMUI is great, also there are no performance issues or apps ruined by the notch so far, definitely give the regular P20 a try and see how you like it, ofc if I were to choose between the OP6 and the P20 Pro it's the P20 Pro for sure.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I don't own a P20, but I do own a Mate 10 and a OnePlus 6. The Kirin 970 that is on both the Mate 10 and P20, is a fantastic chip but it don't beat the Snapdragon 845.
Now camera wise, from I've seen, the P20 plus is fantastic, the OnePlus 6 has a lot better camera than any other OnePlus phone has ever had but it can't beat the P20 pro. As for performance, I never had a prob on my Mate 10, it is fast and smooth but the OnePlus 6 is that much faster and smoother.
Updates, it's not even a challenge, OnePlus wins that battle every time, Pixel is the only phone I know if that gets updates faster than OnePlus.
Each phone does different things better, but they are definitely on par with each other. And the one area that OnePlus wins hands down is price.

Honor Play with the Kirin 970 and the new GPU Turbo tech (also coming to the Mate and P series+a bunch of Honor phones soon through updates) is already beating the SD845 in app launch times and gaming frame rates, so performance actually goes to the P20/Mate 10. Huawei isn't too bad with updates either. The only thing going for the OP6 is price imo, there's no doubt the P20 Pro's a much better phone overall.

shoaib shah

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Here's to hoping you make the switch! It's a great device and one plus has really come a long way. Not a fanboy here, but I am a fan of the two phones I've had of theirs (OP3 and OP6). Here's why:

My first want in a smartphone is fluidity and consistent performance. That's really what I feel one plus has pretty much perfected. There's never any lag or slowdowns and the software just works.

The nice little additions over stock Android while still keeping the stock Android feel. Things like double tap to wake and screen off gestures, better face unlock, super fast fingerprint sensor (seriously just tap it and it'll turn on), extended screenshots, the gestures are actually really nice to have, and of course, the performance.

Nothing ground breaking here, but it all works superbly.

Battery life is really good, dash charging is still the fastest around (that I know of), the screen is really good, the buttons have a really good feel, the phone is the best feeling piece of mobile hardware I've held, and then there's the simple little alert slider.

It's not all dandy, though. The camera is good. Nowhere near great. And I don't think it's as good as the sites that really rave about this phone and how good the camera has become. But it's good enough (my pixel 2 XL spoiled me, really). The speaker is meh. The vibration motor is meh. The notch I don't mind, my first phone with it and I like it. But I think these are things you should already know about this device. Or at least they're all pretty well known.

Oh yeah, and software updates are definitely some of the best. OnePlus tends to take care of bug fixes and such before updating to the latest security patch, but at least they're doing something. This is one thing I don't get. People complain about bugs on every phone, then once they get a company that fixes said bugs quickly, they complain about not having this months security patch. Classic. And really not a big deal.

Yeah...so there's my take. Any questions?

Edit: I do think security updates are important and oneplus should get them updated as quickly as possible. But they can only address so much at once. They'll get there.

Yes I have my OnePlus 6 and it's great.

This is my first OnePlus device and my experience with the Oxygen OS. I have got to say that it's hats off to the OnePlus team.

I would say out of all the stock launchers out there from the OEMs like Samsung, Sony, Huawei etc... Oxygen OS is the best out of box skin experience greatly enhancing the look and feel of Pure Android. It is so minimalist, efficient and clutter free that it becomes second nature to use your phone effortlessly but at the same time balances all the right things with the tweaks of gestures and refinements that they bring to stock Android.

this is my 2 cents and I hope they can make it even better. This is what made me sell my Huawei mate 10 pro and it's ugly EMUI skin to become an admirer of OnePlus and it's take on software.

I am a happy bunny and this just might be the 1st device I keep for some time in a while maybe for a couple of years.

I absolutely love the accent colours that you can change in the settings (my favourite being green). Takes me back to my Windows phone back in the days when you can have the ability to change accent colours system wide even on the tiles and homescreen. I hope OnePlus can increase the number or give an option of a colour palette so everyone can make their OnePlus device unique.

I also love the gestures. Whether it is the off screen method of putting in the torch, switching camera on my favourite being the gestures for music control. I was showing it off to some of my pupils at school lol. The ability to disable the navigation and use on screen gestures was awkward at first but then it seems light years faster to get around doing things and can't go back to the navigation keys now. I would love OnePlus to add in an gesture to go forward to a webpage like the one we use to go back one step.

All in all satisfied with my experience so far and can't wait for future updates to make things even better.

😁😃😊

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Good point. The Mate 20 does sound pretty amazing, but it will probably be pushing close to $1000.

EMUI is ok, but there I do prefer a more stock version of Android. I might jump on the One Plus 6 125gb model which is a nice price point.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Good point. The Mate 20 does sound pretty amazing, but it will probably be pushing close to $1000.

EMUI is ok, but there I do prefer a more stock version of Android. I might jump on the One Plus 6 125gb model which is a nice price point.

The 10 Pro's still worth the upgrade, better cameras and battery life than the Oneplus 6 and the two should be priced similarly now.

DJW351981

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site
The 10 Pro's still worth the upgrade, better cameras and battery life than the Oneplus 6 and the two should be priced similarly now.

Do you own both? I own the OnePlus 6 and mate 10, the OnePlus 6 has a smaller battery and still gets about the same, 7 hours of SOT, the 845 Snapdragon is a battery champ. I've also took pics with both, low light is better on mate 10 but colors pop more on the OnePlus 6, the screen also looks better on the 6, and apps open faster on the 6. Now don't get me wrong, the mate 10 is a hell of a phone but OnePlus does some things better like software experience, they both have pluses and cons.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Do you own both? I own the OnePlus 6 and mate 10, the OnePlus 6 has a smaller battery and still gets about the same, 7 hours of SOT, the 845 Snapdragon is a battery champ. I've also took pics with both, low light is better on mate 10 but colors pop more on the OnePlus 6, the screen also looks better on the 6, and apps open faster on the 6. Now don't get me wrong, the mate 10 is a hell of a phone but OnePlus does some things better like software experience, they both have pluses and cons.

I own the Mate 10 Pro but I've read Oneplus pushed an update to disable the always on display due to battery life problems, apparently some units are getting really mediocre battery life so it's kind of a lottery. Regarding speed see my post above about Huawei's new GPU Turbo tech. If they were priced similarly I definitely think the 10 Pro is a better buy with better speakers, cameras, battery life, IR blaster, PC mode without a cable and etc.

aj00

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm coming from a pixel 2 (regular} and I'm still completely torn between the OP6 and the mate 10 pro.

I've had a play with the OP6 and the thing that put off noticeably was the vibration feedback, it was horrible as hell! But to be fair it was a demo unit in the o2 store, so had probably been abused to death ha!

The screen looked pretty gorgeous I must say much better than my current pixel 2 screen. And going through the OS seemed very snappy indeed.

I haven't had a chance to play with the mate 10 pro as yet, but I have had a go with my friends p20 Pro which I'm guessing is similar to the mate 10 pro. Going through the OS it seemed a little bit laggy compared to my pixel 2, not sure whether it was because the p20 Pro hadn't adapted to way my friend has been using it as yet.

So yeah, the main things which are most important to me are display, battery life, performance and customization. I don't care much for the camera as I've only used it a handful of times.

What do you guys think?

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
At $499 on Amazon Prime Day, the Mate 10 Pro might be the best phone at that price. looks like the One Plus 6 will have to wait for another year.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjeans