Huawei Phone Only Connects to EDGE signal

Roberto Lambert

Jan 31, 2020
Visit site
Hello All,

I have a Huawei Honor 7x BND-L21 phone which was bought in Ukraine. Currently I am located in the Atlanta area and the phone only connects to the much slower Edge signal. I have traveled to Indianapolis, Charlotte, and Miami, and noticed that this phone picks up the the 4g signal as the icon changes from E to 4g. Only in Atlanta is the phone constantly connected to edge. My phone carrier is T-mobile.

In my phone settings, I have preferred network mode set to 4g/3g/2g auto. The other options available are 3g/2g auto, 3g only, 2g only.

I have installed the app LTE Discovery which shows LTE and EDGE. The only obvious thing I can gather from this app is that the EDGE signal has a higher decibel reading (-92 db for LTE vs -71 db for Edge). My guess is that the phone connects to the stronger, higher decibel signal, which happens to be edge in this case.

Any suggestions on getting the phone to connect to LTE/4g signal would be highly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Roberto Lambert

Jan 31, 2020
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy,

Thanks for your response. It looks like in the Atlanta area there is an LTE 4 band (as per the LTE Discovery app running on my phone). However as you point out, my phone does not support band 4. Using 3G/2G only connects to Edge. If set to 3G, phone does not connect at all. I guess at this point I need to think about a new phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej