Hulu working on the (Rooted) DX!

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Your best bet is to download ROOT EXPLORER in the marketplace. pool_shark had mentioned ES FILE EXPLORER which I was not familiar with when you asked if you could unzip a file on your phone, so I thought there may be a chance it also allowed root access into the phone's system files. However, no dice.

I have no affiliation with root explorer and if you want to use ADB and/or the Terminal App, there should be a way to manually replace the files.

However, I think it is a fair statement that many on the board would probably rank ROOT EXPLORER right up there with TITANIUM BACKUP and/or MYBACKUP PRO as apps that can seem like must-haves after rooting, flashing, modding etc.

I hate telling people where to spend their money but if you aren't comfortable using a terminal emulator and typing command prompts, I would just buy it.

Everytime Adobe decides to update their app, I've had to go back in and replace the native file with the hacked one and it has been a 1-2 minute process because of ROOT EXPLORER.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just took another look at ES FILE EXPLORER and other SETTINGS it has a separate menu called ROOT OPTIONS. If you want to try to make the necessary changes, you would check the root explorer box and the mount file system box.

18bmurphy

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Root explorer, followed the directions. I couldn't get it before without root explorer because the other file manager apps I had wouldn't go far enough in to the correct folders. Get root explorer, follow the step by step instructions and the "path" which is just the sequence in which folders you open. With everyone on this forums help the average person like me can really bring out some great features on their device. Thanks again.

bafish

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Hulu Working on the X!

A couple disclaimers:

I am running Froyo and Liberty 2.01 so if anyone confirms this works with other roms and/or leaked Gingerbread, please share.

Steps 1 & 2 may not be truly necessary but I would rather start with a clean install of each program

Root Explorer just makes it a lot easier to complete Steps 6-11 but is not required.

Pressing the Settings button within Hulu is a little tricky but I selected 288p and made it my default preference since it seems to work a little better than 360p on the DX

You may be able to use other browsers since Dolphin HD to make this work, but I recommend choosing a browser that you will use exclusively for Hulu since it cannot be optimized for Mobile and that may interfere with browsing to other sites

If you already use Dolphin HD as your default browser, you can keep using it but may have to tweek the SETTINGS everytime you launch

You can always choose Stock, Dolphin MINI HD, Firefox etc to use as your default browser.

Lastly, and most importantly, I borrowed much of this from XDA and Android Central and the purpose of my thread is to assist others who may have had trouble running Hulu on the DX after following the instructions in the following thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/bar...am-hulu-nook-color-other-android-devices.html

and getting the following error: "Hulu requires Flash Player 10.0.32 or higher. Please download...?

1 Uninstall Adobe Flash
Go to Settings
Go to Applications
Go to Manage Applications
Find Adobe Flash and select it and Uninstall

2 Uninstall Dolphin Browser HD
Go to Settings
Go to Applications
Go to Manage Applications
Find Dolphin HD and select it and Uninstall

3. Download Adobe Flash 10.3 from the Market

4. Download the following file, unzip, and save the libflashplayer.so to your SD Card

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=601295&d=1305831277

5. Launch ROOT EXPLORER

6.. Locate libflashplayer.so and longpress until you can select COPY

7. Keep pressing Parent Folder directory until you get to the root folder
You won?t be able to press it anymore

8. Take the following path: /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib

9. Paste libflashplayer.so and override the existing file

10. Longpress libflashplayer.so until you can choose PERMISSIONS

11. Set Permissions to the following:

Read Write Execute
Owner x x x
Group x blank x
Others x blank x

12. Download Dolphin HD from the Market

13. Run Dolphin HD
Select ALWAYS ON for Flash Support
Keep hitting Next until you get to User Agent
Select CUSTOM
Skip adding an email address
Finish install and exit the browser

14. Relaunch Dolphin HD
Press the Settings/Options Button on the DX
Select MORE
Select SETTINGS
Select CUSTOM USERAGENT
Type WIN and Select OK
Close Dolphin HD

15. Relaunch Dolphin HD and go to hulu.com

16. Start watching---works best in landscape mode

Do you mind if I post your method on DroidXForums, with full credit of course?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Do you mind if I post your method on DroidXForums, with full credit of course?

Please feel free to post as I also openly borrowed from others and it was by no means completely original.
Who knows how long it will last. Someone said that Hulu Plus won't even allow you to stream all the content through the Android app and that some of the content is meant for computers only.

I may try the trial of Hulu Plus just to see if the restricted content for computers only will also play with this workaround.

Reactions: bafish

patronanej0

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Hulu Working on the X!

14. Relaunch Dolphin HD
Press the Settings/Options Button on the DX
Select MORE
Select SETTINGS
Select CUSTOM USERAGENT
Type WIN and Select OK
Close Dolphin HD

This is terrible advice. If you select Desktop, DolphinHD will spoof the following user agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OSX 10_6_3;en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16

If you select Custom and enter WIN, your user agent will be:

WIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder