I got Lollipop and here's how to do it

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Sighhh..... Another issue, I feel like an *****. I've downloaded the .zip file from the link (twice now), renamed it to lollipop.zip, and moved it to my adb program folder per instructions. Every time I try to execute "adb sideload lollipop.zip" I get a "cannot read lollipop.zip" error message. The zip folder is in the adb program folder where I'm trying to execute the sideload command. Don't know what is wrong. I didn't read anything about extracting the zip file - should I be doing that before sideloading? Any thoughts appreciated.

I didn't rename it and it worked fine... maybe don't try renaming the file and see what happens. Used OTA link from Android Central posted yesterday.

Irpack

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I didn't rename it and it worked fine... maybe don't try renaming the file and see what happens. Used OTA link from Android Central posted yesterday.

Will give that a shot in a bit. Thanks for the suggestion! Lot of characters to type! LOL!

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like with all of the trouble people are having, they should have backed up all their files and just did a regular factory image flash.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
How to update Android to Ver. 5 without wiping your phone of all apps and data

1. Download and install the ADB tool (Android Debug Bridge) and the fastboot.exe file from this link:

[TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [11-6-14] | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Normally you have to install the entire Android SDK (Software Development Kit) library to get these files, but the above link will install only the files needed to sideloaad the new version of Android WITHOUT WIPING ALL DATA AND PROGRAMS FROM YOUR PHONE.

Remember the complete name of the folder in which you install ADB and fastboot; you will need this folder in Step 6.

After you complete this step verify your system has the correct Android USB driver installed. Do this by opening Device Manager and expand Other Devices. You should NOT see your phone with a yellow exclamation mark; if you do you need to install the latest Google USB driver for your version of Windows.

2. Turn on USB Debugging in phone by going to Settings > Developer Options > USB debugging.

3. Connect the phone to your PC through USB and make sure it’s connected.

4. Use the desktop shortcut installed in Step 1 to open a Command Prompt window and run the command ‘adb devices’. If your phone is connected you’ll see the serial # of the device followed by Device – Something like : ‘022c732d8a4cca82 device’

5. Download the zip file from Google from the link below to your PC for your particular Nexus device. The zip file you download will have a very long, complicated name. Rename the downloaded file to something easy to type – I changed it to Lollipop.zip.

6. Move the zip file into the folder you created in Step 1.

7. In the Command window you opened in Step 4 enter the command ‘adb reboot bootloader’ and your phone will reboot into the bootloader.

8.Press the Volume buttons on your device until you see ‘Recovery Mode’ and use the Power button to select it.

9. Next your device will boot to a screen with a small Android logo with an exclamation mark and an open belly. "No Command" will display below the logo.

10. Press Volume Up and Power at the same time to get into stock recovery.

11. Using the volume buttons, scroll to ‘apply update from ADB’ (usually 2nd option from the top of the list) and then press the Power button to choose it.

12. On your PC in the command prompt window, type ‘adb sideload Lollipop.zip’. This will start the process of sending Lollipop to your phone (you'll see a message giving you the current % completed); after it reaches 100% the phone will start updating itself.

13. There will be several messages on the phone during the update - be patient. The message 'Installing update...' is NOT the last message. Wait for the message 'Install from ADB complete."

14. Press the Down volume button to reach the 'wipe cache partition" command (usually the last one in the list) and push the power button to select it. You'll see messages about wiping/formatting the cache - be patient, do not interrupt this process. (I did that once when installing KitKat and it prevented my phone from seeing any wireless network.) When the process is complete you will see the message 'Cache wipe complete" and the command 'reboot system now' will be highlighted.

15. Push the power button to reboot into Lollipop. The first boot takes a long time - after the spinning balls you'll see a message 'Android is updating..." and a count-up for every app you have on your phone. Be patient (again) - you don't want to interrupt this process. Subsequent reboots will happen at normal speed.

=======================

I adapted the above steps from several sources I found online as well as from my own experience with sideloading KitKat. There are a lot of steps but they do work (I just did them) and they are pretty straightforward. I included some extra info about what to expect for folks who have not done this before.

Thank you. You made this process quite easy to follow and execute. Don't think it would be this easy. Quick root with towel root and a quick ADB sideload, it's been a good day.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am at the "No command" step, but pressing Volume Up and Power do nothing. I have tried pressing and holding or just pressing and nothing works. It reboots if I press and hold.
EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. Sorry. Stupid noob.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Sighhh..... Another issue, I feel like an *****. I've downloaded the .zip file from the link (twice now), renamed it to lollipop.zip, and moved it to my adb program folder per instructions. Every time I try to execute "adb sideload lollipop.zip" I get a "cannot read lollipop.zip" error message. The zip folder is in the adb program folder where I'm trying to execute the sideload command. Don't know what is wrong. I didn't read anything about extracting the zip file - should I be doing that before sideloading? Any thoughts appreciated.

Had the same problem. The file you are trying is not the zip file you need. It is inside that zip file. Unzip that file and you will find the correct zip file you need to sideload.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine i installed the factory image twice, and i keep getting after it hits 100% from adb "E: footer is wrong", "E:signature verification failed"...i thought the file got corrupted but downloaded twice. Can i use the hammerhead...e08.tar file the way it is, such as "adb sideload hammerhead...08.tar"(using full name of downloaded file)?

as i figured, md5 doesnt match...ok very odd. Im using Factory Images "hammerhead" for Nexus 5 (GSM/LTE) 5.0 (LRX21O) Link 761667f1ddaf4e38d4792136df4ab927

.....update...
I dont get this...i have downloaded the factory image from googles site on my work PC and MAC same md5 on both but dont match whats listed. wtf.

I had the same problem. The file you want is inside that file. Unzip the file and you will find the zip file you need.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind. The zip file in the .tgz file didn't work for me either. Got the same error message. I'm going to use the .zip file linked here to see if that works.

Birk Binnard

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I have updated my original post to include the link to download the proper Lollipop ZIP file. I have no idea why the link didn't appear in my original post. But oh well.

I also added the steps provided by Nexuslover27 on how to install the basic Nexus USB driver. Thanks for that - it sure beats Googling, downloading, and installing.

vss_2003

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
To: Irpack

Here is how I fix this same issue I had. The reason it shows error message because adb looses connection with your phone at that step. If you open device manager when you get message, you should see under 'other devices' Nexus 5 with exclamation mark. Leave the phone at this stage and download 'Universal_Naked_Driver_0.73' from XDA or google it. Unzip and save in folder of your choice where you can find it. Then on device manager right click on Nexus 5 and Update Driver Software, browse my computer and find that driver folder and install. Once successfully loaded you can adb sideload lollipop.zip

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The OTA thinks I am on 4.4.3 even though I am on the correct build. Anyone know why this happens?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Attachments

• 106968.jpg
    106968.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 20

Irpack

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Had the same problem. The file you are trying is not the zip file you need. It is inside that zip file. Unzip that file and you will find the correct zip file you need to sideload.

Thank you ! Have been gone all weekend, will try today!

Posted via Android Central App

Alex Karim

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm having some unexpected issues post side load. My phone randomly goes into these never ending restart cycles or completely shuts off. Sometimes when I try to lock my screen the shut down icon pops up but I never did a long hold on the power button for that to appear.
I tried to restore my phone and within a few days the bugs reappeared. Any ideas ?

Posted via the Android Central App

Irpack

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
To: Irpack

Here is how I fix this same issue I had. The reason it shows error message because adb looses connection with your phone at that step. If you open device manager when you get message, you should see under 'other devices' Nexus 5 with exclamation mark. Leave the phone at this stage and download 'Universal_Naked_Driver_0.73' from XDA or google it. Unzip and save in folder of your choice where you can find it. Then on device manager right click on Nexus 5 and Update Driver Software, browse my computer and find that driver folder and install. Once successfully loaded you can adb sideload lollipop.zip

VSS - thanks for the help. I tried this after the newest link from OP still gave me a "cannot read lollipop.zip" when I was trying to sideload. I downloaded the suggested file and when I try to update it sayd my adp drivers are current, so it does not appear to be updating with your suggested driver. I've rooted and flashed previous phones and never had as many problems as trying to do this simple sideload. ARggggg.!

Irpack

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm at a loss as to what is going wrong.

I successfully get to the the "adb sideload lollipop.zip" step in the process and I've probably gotten a "cannot read lollipop.zip" error 10x now. I've downloaded, re-downloaded, and downloaded the newest OTA update file from the OP, ensured it's in the adb program folder, ensured my device is not getting error messages on device manager (wouldn't have gotten as far as I do if i was...), and tried updating my driver as another suggestion. I've gone over the instructions with a fine tooth comb to see if I was leaving out some critical step; I don't believe I am. Seems simple but I'm baffled as to what is going wrong. Any thoughts appreciated, but I'm at the point of waitng for the OTA to come actually OTA as I don't want to wipe my device with a factory image.

Thanks for those who've offered assistance!