I got my Stormtrooper Pixel 2 XL today!

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
So in the last several years, I've been looking for a phone that has great hardware and gets timely software updates. I've been defaulting to Samsung or iPhone in the last several years because they have great hardware, but Samsung always lacked in the software update department. So I thought I'd give Google a try.

Let me tell you, this is what I've been looking for--Android's version of iPhone--the Pixel 2 XL. I was one of the people that was slamming Google for not having that great of displays in the Pixel 2 XL, but I never actually saw one in person. I went to Best Buy last night and played around with the display unit and the display looked just like every other OLED screen out there. The off-axis blue shift that's seen on the Pixel 2 XL is also on my Samsung Galaxy S8 Active (which will be returned to T-Mo this weekend). Once I turned the boosted mode on, the screen looks almost as good as Samsung's display.

I love this device. It has everything I'm looking for--fast software updates, zippy software, and great hardware. My only complaint is that the Verizon associate scuffed the glass back on the top corner when he put on the screen protector. It's kind of irritating and I didn't notice it until I was switching cases (I purchased the phone at Best Buy). Other than that, I absolutely love the white and black combo with the orange power key.

So there you have it. I'm a converted Pixel fan and I don't think I could ever go back to anything else!

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That's something considering how vocal you were about how terrible it was lol. Glad you found something that you like though. Sounds like you're really enjoying it.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
That's something considering how vocal you were about how terrible it was lol. Glad you found something that you like though. Sounds like you're really enjoying it.

I'm definitely eating crow. :)

And thank you, yes, I am really enjoying this device. I've used the iPhone X, S8 Active, and now the Pixel 2 XL in the last month and the 2 XL is, by far, the best device I've used.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
@Retinella Man, big statement coming from you. I know you've bounced a LOT of phones this past year, so reading a post from you actually acknowledging the device... Well, let's just say I think you're definitely one discerning consumer and you aren't one to make such statements lightly.

Glad you're happy with the device and welcome home.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
@Retinella Man, big statement coming from you. I know you've bounced a LOT of phones this past year, so reading a post from you actually acknowledging the device... Well, let's just say I think you're definitely one discerning consumer and you aren't one to make such statements lightly.

Glad you're happy with the device and welcome home.

Thanks, @DMP89145. I can now finally say I'm home. I will only purchase Pixel products from this point on. I thought I got bored easy, but I just wasn't satisfied. I'm satisfied now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you gave it an actual try versus using the opinion of others as a definite reason for not liking (or even liking) the phone.

I do listen to reviews and such just as much as the next guy but I truly like to try devices for myself before fully dismissing them. I'm still loving my 2 XL :).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So in the last several years, I've been looking for a phone that has great hardware and gets timely software updates. I've been defaulting to Samsung or iPhone in the last several years because they have great hardware, but Samsung always lacked in the software update department. So I thought I'd give Google a try.

Let me tell you, this is what I've been looking for--Android's version of iPhone--the Pixel 2 XL. I was one of the people that was slamming Google for not having that great of displays in the Pixel 2 XL, but I never actually saw one in person. I went to Best Buy last night and played around with the display unit and the display looked just like every other OLED screen out there. The off-axis blue shift that's seen on the Pixel 2 XL is also on my Samsung Galaxy S8 Active (which will be returned to T-Mo this weekend). Once I turned the boosted mode on, the screen looks almost as good as Samsung's display.

I love this device. It has everything I'm looking for--fast software updates, zippy software, and great hardware. My only complaint is that the Verizon associate scuffed the glass back on the top corner when he put on the screen protector. It's kind of irritating and I didn't notice it until I was switching cases (I purchased the phone at Best Buy). Other than that, I absolutely love the white and black combo with the orange power key.

So there you have it. I'm a converted Pixel fan and I don't think I could ever go back to anything else!

You could make them swap it if it bugs you.

Glad to see you've changed your opinion on the phone.
It's OK to change.... A year ago, I did not care about phone cameras.... I'm a changed man... As I've said before I have to work hard to get the pixel to take a bad picture and I have been unsuccessful so far. A year ago the pixels big bezels turned me off so I completely ignored the camera. Because the 2XL has the largest screen and small bezels I'm good.... No offense to those who are okay with a smaller pixel or don't mind the bezels.
A year ago I would not have given up a removable battery, headphone jack or LG's quad DAC. The pixels battery is pretty damn good. I'm okay without the headphone jack since they provided the dongle and I bought an extra to put on another pair of headphones so I don't have to constantly swap out or leave it behind by accident.
Though the Pixel DAC can't go toe-to-toe with the quad DAC, the Jack built into the dongle is actually pretty damn good..... Good enough for me not to care.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad you gave it an actual try versus using the opinion of others as a definite reason for not liking (or even liking) the phone.

I do listen to reviews and such just as much as the next guy but I truly like to try devices for myself before fully dismissing them. I'm still loving my 2 XL :).

I'm not sure how the reviewers think the display is terrible. It's not. It's on par with every other display released this year.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
You could make them swap it if it bugs you.

Glad to see you've changed your opinion on the phone.
It's OK to change.... A year ago, I did not care about phone cameras.... I'm a changed man... As I've said before I have to work hard to get the pixel to take a bad picture and I have been unsuccessful so far. A year ago the pixels big bezels turned me off so I completely ignored the camera. Because the 2XL has the largest screen and small bezels I'm good.... No offense to those who are okay with a smaller pixel or don't mind the bezels.
A year ago I would not have given up a removable battery, headphone jack or LG's quad DAC. The pixels battery is pretty damn good. I'm okay without the headphone jack since they provided the dongle and I bought an extra to put on another pair of headphones so I don't have to constantly swap out or leave it behind by accident.
Though the Pixel DAC can't go toe-to-toe with the quad DAC, the Jack built into the dongle is actually pretty damn good..... Good enough for me not to care.

I'd exchange it, but there isn't a 128GB panda (ahem, Stormtrooper) Pixel 2 XL at any Best Buy within 250 miles. Yikes. It really doesn't bother me, TBH. It's so minor it's not much of an issue.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I ditched the V30, long-time Samsung user. I'm loving the 2XL as well and am not looking back. The camera is crazy good, and the phone performance is so snappy

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I ditched the V30, long-time Samsung user. I'm loving the 2XL as well and am not looking back. The camera is crazy good, and the phone performance is so snappy

I had the V20 and while I was waiting for the pixel pre-order to come in I bought a v30 knowing that I would probably not keep it but I wanted to give it a chance anyway.
Big fan of the Quad DAC but all of the pixel pluses took me away from the LG and the deck in the pixel dongle it's pretty thin good. This is first cell phone camera that actually gains my respect.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Dude that's huge. You were like the biggest opposition. Glad that you're liking the phone

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Great post. Glad you tried it out for yourself. Pixel 2 XL is "pound for pound" the best Android phone out there. I could never use anything else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay