I got the new Samsung Galaxy S-23 in the mail on Monday and I am having problems setting it up

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I had to go into the settings and manually set the local time. The time was set for 3 hours ahead of the local time for Pacific standerd time. Right now my biggest problem is I can't setup my primary Google account in the phone or on line. I keep running into invalid password on the phone and on line. Right now I am using Brookdales house WI-FI, that's the only way I can get on line and send and receive emails via a offline mail reader called Dream Mail. if I accidentally del the 16 bitpassword in Dream Mail then I am Blanky Blankey out of luck. And Brookdale's wi-fi doesn't let me connect to certain web pages. Every time I go into Gmail to reset the password it asks for the code to be sent via my cell phone BUT I can't do that because the phone isn't finished been setupped . How do I fix this problems?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Ambassador Guides forum on the S23 forum.

Is there a reason why you're not using the automatic date and time option based on the cellular network? Or do you not have a SIM card inserted?

What is Brookdales?

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I moved this from the Ambassador Guides forum on the S23 forum.

Is there a reason why you're not using the automatic date and time option based on the cellular network? Or do you not have a SIM card inserted?

What is Brookdales?
1st off Brookdale is the senior assisted living home where I am living now. Not that I need much assistance anyway. And the house wi-fi is the only way I can connect to the internet right now with the phone's network not working. right now. I dropped my old phone on the sidewalk and cracked the screen that's why I just got a new phone in the mail on Monday. 2nd about manually setting the time and date. 1st the time was set to some where in China and the network isn't working. I can't receive or make ANY calls, the hot spot isn't working ether. Also I can't get into my primary or 2ndandry email address to finish setting up the phone. As long as I don't change the "Use this app password to sign in" setup for an off line mail reader called Dream Mail I can send and receive emails from my primary email address. But I can't get into ether the primary email address at Gmail or the 2ndary email address at Gmail via Firefox or Google Chrome. And Google keeps telling me I have to wait 30 days before they will send me a temp password. So I am stuck.
BTW the SM card is in the phone. Question is all of my stored phone numbers and other info stored on the SM chip? I have 2 SM chips. Maybe I have the blank chip in the phone?

YEAAAA I finely got the phone 100% working. I had put in the blank SM chip. I just put in the working SM chip and I just received the G codes for the Google verification codes to reset my Google password and I just tested the out going call by placing a call to main number to the Walla Walla VA hosp and I got the hosp's recording saying I reached the Walla Walla VA hosp. The mobile hot spot is now working 100%. BUT I lost all of my saved phone numbers and files. But I do have a partially saved set of numbers on the back up HDD in a USB case. It isn't all lost and I did save all my files to the same HDD.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
OK, glad you got it working! Regarding the lost files, were they only saved to the broken phone's storage, or were they backed up anywhere in the cloud or some other storage media?

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
OK, glad you got it working! Regarding the lost files, were they only saved to the broken phone's storage, or were they backed up anywhere in the cloud or some other storage media?
The picture files are backed up to a 2ndary HDD in a USB case and some of my saved phone numbers also are saved on the HDD. The saved phone number list isn't up to date. But the list is about 70% up to date. I am thinking of starting to use Cloud as well as the HDD to store files on the phone as well as the contact list.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes they are saved in a VCF file. I have done that before.
Ok -- so are you saying that even though you imported that VCF file back to your new phone, you're still missing some numbers? Or were those missing numbers not saved to that VCF backup file in the first place?

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Ok -- so are you saying that even though you imported that VCF file back to your new phone, you're still missing some numbers? Or were those missing numbers not saved to that VCF backup file in the first place?
I haven't imported that VCF file yet The new phone yet. I had to straighten out a problem with Consumer Cellular 1st. the network connection wasn't working today. The phone stopped working today. The teck at Consumer Cellular got the phone working again. I am using my Wi-fi hotspot in my phone now.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You can move the VCF file from back up HHD to your internal storage /Google drive etc.. then move to Samsung contacts

As for you Google account authentication you can send that code to your email in the future it doesn't have to be you number (text)
Going forward I strongly suggest making PC Samsung Smart Switch back up along with your HDD backup and cloud service like Google/Microsoft whichever works best but make multiple back ups.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Now I am having a new problem with the S-23 phone. Yesterday I was able to plug in the phone via the charge cord to my laptop and copy *.apk files directly from the backup HDD in the USB case via the phone charge cord plugged into the laptop's USB plug. Now the laptop doesn't even see the phone and the phone won't charge from the USB port on the laptop. But the phone will still make and receive calls, and I can still download from the Android Play Store files and apk's. And the phone will charge when plugged into the charge box when the charge box is plugged into the power strip. What gives now?

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
As soon as I hear someone is installing apk's I know trouble is brewing. It's like the late 90's early 00's and people downloading and installing .exe files all over again.
If someone in my family comes to me for support and they tell me they have issues after installing them I've gotten to the point of telling them to factory reset the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: notforhire

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Now I am having a new problem with the S-23 phone. Yesterday I was able to plug in the phone via the charge cord to my laptop and copy *.apk files directly from the backup HDD in the USB case via the phone charge cord plugged into the laptop's USB plug. Now the laptop doesn't even see the phone and the phone won't charge from the USB port on the laptop. But the phone will still make and receive calls, and I can still download from the Android Play Store files and apk's. And the phone will charge when plugged into the charge box when the charge box is plugged into the power strip. What gives now?
When you connect the phone to the PC via USB, swipe down the notification panel. Do you see a USB notification? If not, then the cable might be faulty. Try a different cable.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy. I swiped down the notification panel and yes I see the USB notification and the laptop is again seeing the phone when I plug in the phones charge cord into the laptop's USB port and the window is again coming up with "Galaxy S-23 > Internal storage"