I guess this is why we can no longer comment on articles

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
It's the comments that lead to the full story. Reading an article, you are getting a single, filtered, and usually biased account of a story. In the comments is where you'll get additional points, counter points, and additional sources to let you form a more thorough opinion. I think a lot of news outlets removed comments because they were tired of being called out on misleading and false stories, and I wish comments were brought back.

If you don't want to read the comments, it's easy to avoid them. They are always put below the article or on a separate page.

Articles aren't opinions. I get the you may feel that way for whatever reason, probably because of politics, but it's true. Some random person on the internet who has absolutely no ties to the contents of the article isn't going to "disprove" the news article. They only thing comments offers are opinions and I couldn't care less about the opinions of others on the contents of articles.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In olden times, the Letters to the Editor page were where periodical readers could submit responses, questions, or comments. I kinda wish that was how it still was these days, to discourage the kind of toxic bickering that invariably takes place in any comments thread.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Articles aren't opinions. I get the you may feel that way for whatever reason, probably because of politics, but it's true. Some random person on the internet who has absolutely no ties to the contents of the article isn't going to "disprove" the news article. They only thing comments offers are opinions and I couldn't care less about the opinions of others on the contents of articles.

First, You understand that reading the comments isn't mandatory, right?

Second, that is incredibly naive. There isn't a single news outlet, even the ones I like, that never gets things wrong and doesn't have any bias. We're not even talking about legitimate news here, we're talking about a tech blog where most of the contributors aren't even journalists.

And I have personally corrected incorrect articles in the comments section on AC, in between being a sassy little b****.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
First, You understand that reading the comments isn't mandatory, right?

Second, that is incredibly naive. There isn't a single news outlet, even the ones I like, that never gets things wrong and doesn't have any bias. We're not even talking about legitimate news here, we're talking about a tech blog where most of the contributors aren't even journalists.

And I have personally corrected incorrect articles in the comments section on AC, in between being a sassy little b****.
So your the reason no more comment section (joking)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Articles aren't opinions.

Yet they are written with opinionated bias. If not for that, every news source would cover every story in the exact same way. We also just went through some of the worst examples of that with the Depp v. Heard trial in the U.S, with many news outlets still falsely reporting on it due to their opinionated bias. If not for comments, social media, and the trial itself being live steamed, the majority of people would still believe he was a horrific wife beater and Heard an innocent victim.

In tech circles, there are biases as well. You'd think it would be easy to avoid, but it happens. If a hated company the writer doesn't like releases a new CPU, then it's too slow. If they make a top performer, it's considered too power hungry. If they develop new tech to maintain clock speeds at lower power levels, it's now too expensive. Reduce the price? Now quality control comes into play. Go with a slower processor that's still reliable, and now we're back to square one that it isn't fast enough.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
For whatever reason, it is a conscious decision to not allow comments, as other sites using the same software (Tom's Guide for one) have comments on articles. I also agree with everything noted above.

It's not a matter of 'not allowing comments' FYI. It's the fact that the systems have changed from what they were and the move to the new comment system is taking place across several different sites. Android Central, I don't believe, had a post like this when they made the switch but this was covered over at Windows Central - https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-central-redesign-2022

As the post there notes:

Where are the comments?

Good question! We're not getting rid of comments. In fact, we're finally switching over to the popular Disqus system after many years of people asking for it. However, it will take a few more weeks for it to be migrated over, but it is a top priority for the web team, so sit tight!

The plan, as far as I am aware currently, is to bring the comment system back. Additionally, the comment system works hand in hand with the Forums on sites such as Tom's Hardware, PC Gamer, etc and there's components here of the forums which have not been upgraded yet to reach that compatibility. Those are coming as well and we'll all eventually see refreshed forums similar to Tom's Hardware, PC Gamer, etc.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I do like to think so , gives me a nice ego boost lol.

I always found it strange how many people commented a lot in the comment section and never in the forums...
Perhaps those people read the blogs but didn't participate in the forums.

I used to read the blogs but have no interest any longer, due to the lack of quality on the part of the: content, the skills of the writers, and the skills of the editors.