I had to do it.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was so excited to hear about 5.0 for our tablet I flashed it as soon as I could. As with many of you my excitement was very short lived. I've tried everything mentioned in all the threads to no avail. I finally had to go back to 4.4.4 and I couldn't be happier. It works as I expect it to and I'm going to try and not bog of down with apps I'm not going to use. If 5.1 comes out I'll try again.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When 5.0.1 rolls out for the 2012 N7, it may be worth trying again. There are supposed to be a number of bugfixes. I just got 5.0.1 on my 2013 N7 (bypassing 5.0), and it's snappy. Seems even faster than when it was on KitKat.

Graham Thomas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Good that you got 5.0.1 without needing to install 5.0 first. I hope that when we Nexus 7 3G users (nakasig) eventually get Lollipop - preferably sometime this year, though I'm beginning to doubt it - we'll go straight to 5.0.1.

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
When 5.0.1 rolls out for the 2012 N7, it may be worth trying again. There are supposed to be a number of bugfixes. I just got 5.0.1 on my 2013 N7 (bypassing 5.0), and it's snappy. Seems even faster than when it was on KitKat.

Do you think an update is in the works and to be released anytime soon?

I am in much the same position as the OP and have gotten extremely frustrated. I've been holding off reflashing back to 4.4.4 but I don't know how much longer I can wait (even though I'd rather not do it....). Repeated emails to Google asking for help or suggestions have gone unanswered.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you think an update is in the works and to be released anytime soon?

I am in much the same position as the OP and have gotten extremely frustrated. I've been holding off reflashing back to 4.4.4 but I don't know how much longer I can wait (even though I'd rather not do it....). Repeated emails to Google asking for help or suggestions have gone unanswered.

Who know when or if there'll be an update. Meanwhile flash back and use your tablet. Just sayin.

CBMem

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I finally flashed mine back to 4.4.4 today. Couldn't take it anymore. It's like a breath of fresh air. Like I had an elephant on my chest and now I don't. Like I put air in my flat tires...

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
If the 5.0.1 update doesn't improve things on my N7, then I think I'll dump it. So, could someone post a link to the best instructions for rolling the N7 back to 4.4.x? Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If the 5.0.1 update doesn't improve things on my N7, then I think I'll dump it. So, could someone post a link to the best instructions for rolling the N7 back to 4.4.x? Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

Go back one level in this forum and you'll see stickies for flashing. This is the method I've been using and I can now flash back to whichever version I desire in 15 minutes. Easy peasy!

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I could no longer stand 5.0 so I too rolled back to KitKat on my N7 2012 over the weekend. It's running great - no stutter, no lags, no black screens, no freezing - so far.

BTW, this almost guarantees that 5.0.1 will be out soon....I'm the kind of guy who buys a snow blower just before an unusually snow-less winter!

wyzird

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I too went back to Kit Kat and could not be happier. Personally I didnt like 5.0. When 5.0.1 comes out and it proves itself worth it, I may try again. But for now my tablet is running like new again and I will enjoy it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I guess I should be happy that I never got the update on my 2012 N7 GSM model. Compared to two years ago when I first bought it, the battery life on this is greatly improved especially when using data on T-Mobile. It used to barely last a day on one charge with maybe an hour of usage. Now on the latest KitKat I can standby for 3 days and use it for 3-4 hrs. Not as good as my Retina iPad Mini but it works.

As for snow, still waiting to see some here in Denver Colorado. They say we will have a white Christmas this year.

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I could no longer stand 5.0 so I too rolled back to KitKat on my N7 2012 over the weekend. It's running great - no stutter, no lags, no black screens, no freezing - so far.

BTW, this almost guarantees that 5.0.1 will be out soon....I'm the kind of guy who buys a snow blower just before an unusually snow-less winter!

I told you all...It only took a few days for them to launch the update; I was wrong about 5.0.1 tho....5.0.2!! But this time I plan on waiting for some feedback before I download. :D

Wonder if it'll snow this winter..... ;)

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
As you all know, I went back to 4.4.4. I will admit that I did download 5.0.2 and it is SNAPPY! YAY!!!

A couple of notes;
After downloading it and flashing, it took over 5 minutes to go through boot.
It was ever so slightly lagging, but after a few minutes we agree ROCKING!

Thank you Google!!!!

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
As you all know, I went back to 4.4.4. I will admit that I did download 5.0.2 and it is SNAPPY! YAY!!!

A couple of notes;
After downloading it and flashing, it took over 5 minutes to go through boot.
It was ever so slightly lagging, but after a few minutes we agree ROCKING!

Thank you Google!!!!

Are you having any problems with 5.0.2 at all?

sibeans

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Just got an n7 recently and didn't bother with KitKat. Flashed the factory image of 5.0.2, and was quite pleased with the performance. But as soon as I started running certain background apps, started experiencing crippling hangups. But as soon as I force closed those apps, it was back to being snappy again.

Also, disabled location services, running Greenify, and not running any widgets on the home screen (and keeping it bare) seems to help too.

SonDan

Jan 27, 2011
oldschoolmusiclover.com

Uncle Les, how did you roll back? Can I do it via factory reset (the thing I have been avoiding)?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Uncle Les, how did you roll back? Can I do it via factory reset (the thing I have been avoiding)?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

A factory reset might give you some performance improvement,but to get back to KK4.4.4 you need to flash the factory image. Be aware that this will completely wipe your tablet and you will have to reload everything, so back up first!!
Here is a link to a How-to, but there are plenty others out there: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-upgrade-your-nexus?nopaging=1

@slbeans - did you have 5.0 or did you just flash directly to 5.0.2 over Kitkat or Jelly Bean or whatever was on the N7?

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Are you having any problems with 5.0.2 at all?

I had no issues and it was a fantastic tablet. I decided to give it to my nephew for the holidays and he was beyond excited. Was actually tempted to buy another one.