I hate this phone. Maybe someone can offer help?

falkon114

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I was excited for this phone to come out way back when. I got it, and I have yet to see it function correctly.

When I first got it, i couldn't get a data signal. I factory reset it, and I could get 3g here and there. When 4g was introduced to my area.. guess what? Yeah, I couldn't connect, and 3g was still spotty. So i did another factory reset, and went through this process 2 more times before it become slightly bearable. I figured they were just working out kinks in the network.

I decided to root my phone a while back. it worked alright, minus all the inherent issues of the networks I already had...

I recently tried updating the radio on my phone. I wasn't entirely sure if it was the mr1 or mr2, but i downloaded the "mr2" a few times since OTA updates have, obviously, kept failing. Now, over the last hour, I have YET AGAIN factory reset my phone, and now all I get is 1x signal. Google backup hasn't worked, so I don't have all my contacts anymore, and I can't get a good connection to the 4g network, which might as well not even exist.

This phone sucks. Seriously, it really does. anyone want to buy it? Cuz I'm done with it.

Beyond that, does anyone have a way to make this phone work properly? Does anyone have a download link for the original radio so I don't have to keep messing around? I'm really tired and done with this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Why suffer with a defective phone. It sounds like you should have had that thing replaced when it was a couple of days old.
Call VZW and try to get a replacement.

Last edited:

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Sure sounds like you got a lemon to me, like worwig said, you should've called for a replacement a LONG time ago. I've never had network issues with my phone.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You should probably post in the rooting section of the forum, they will help you get whatever you need. Your phone has an obvious defect though so I don't think it'll matter what you do to it. You need a new phone.

braxtoq

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting the right radio installed? this 1x crap is getting old...

Uh, 2 people have suggested you get Verizon to replace your defective phone. You should take that advice. Or, try to go back using the unroot method and maybe try the leaked 2.11 gingerbread version.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Well you could try the latest radio. Look in the rooting sub-forum and its in one the stickies. Really simple actually

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget to unroot before you return your phone or vzw will void your warranty. There are directions in a sticky in the rooting section of this forum.

Reactions: Alma

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
ROM/Radio list--with instructions
http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...-mr2-compatible-rom-radio-mr1-after-root.html
and make sure you remove the radio after installing in hboot--otherwise you get into a bootloop and you think you borked your phone. simple fix (remove microsd card, place in card reader, open in computer, delete PG05IMG.zip file, put in phone & boot), but just remove it to negate needing that simple fix :)

MR2 radio works/worked well with some ROMs, but more reliable radios have been released. Chingy recently released a radio that worked quite well with the LTE to CDMA hand off. just make sure to check the MD5Sum before flashing it! flashing a bad radio (or ROM or patch for that matter) can do serious damage to your phone that is hard to fix if you don't know what you're doing (involving restoring backups and/or ADB commands)

if you're going to send it back to VZW/Asurion for a replacement, unroot it! otherwise, you get charged the full MSRP for the phone ($649/$749). unroot, then install TerminalEmulator & key "su", enter, to ensure you don't see a # sign which means you're still rooted. some tech's might check this.
auto-unroot tool (windows)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...unroot-windows-updated-5-20-w-mr1-update.html

also, as mentioned, it is plausible it is simply the battery cover which houses the antenna for the phone. make sure it fits snug. if it does, then use something like 'PHONE INFO' (found here on the market) to change your Radio reception option from the default "CDMA/LTE (auto)" to something like "CDMA (auto PRL)"---
this will help conserve battery life and also make the phone search for 3G signal with better results than the "CDMA/LTE(auto)".
"cdma/lte(auto)"---what gave people problems originally when the phone came out (with MR1 radio). problem? the phone would only search for LTE signal, skip over 3g signal, and drop to 1x if no LTE signal was found. people assumed there was no 4g signal in their area or their phone was broken bc they could never get even a 3g signal even though the radio was supposed to find one.
"cdma (auto prl)"--phone only searches for 3g but will drop to 1x if none is found. much more reliable to get on a 3g network & useful if you aren't using any data heavy apps.
"lte only"--phone only searches for 4g/lte but will drop to 1x if none is found. more likely to find an LTE signal on this setting than "cdma/lte (auto).

Last edited:

falkon114

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Sweet, I got the radio working. Kinda like this one, how I can select CDMA or CDMA/Lte..
So I found the tutorial that I used originally to root my phone, and followed it precisely again, but apparently I'm not rooted again.. Might anyone know why this could be?
Here's the link..
linky
could it be because there is a newer version running on my phone? Under software info, I see this..
Build Number: 1.70.605.0 CL343953 release-keys
PRI Version: 1.41_002, 1.64_002
PRL Version: 15027
ERI Version: 5

And yeah, I'm running on a Mac, so Auto-root software won't work.. unless someone knows if it works on crossover or something like that. =/

Last edited:

fadepoint89

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
To switch between cdma and cdma/lte you have to open the phone app (where you would dial someone's number) and dial *#*#4636#*#*. It will open a menu. Select phone information and another screen will pop up. Towards the bottom there will be a drop down menu. That is where you select. Choose CDMA Auto (PRL). Enjoy!!!

fadepoint89

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I believe there is a way to unroot and go back to stock without using a computer but it involves downloading a couple files and flashing them through bootloader. I'll try and find the instructions for you.

fadepoint89

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/309817-easy-way-unroot.html

1)make sure your SD card is formatted FAT32
2)download file from link above 3)rename to "PG05IMG.zip" exactly (that is a zero,not an 'O')
4)transfer to the root of your SD card(top level-not inside a folder). 5)power off phone.
6)power on while holding volume down
7)you will see a blue status bar on the right top corner as the file is read. a yellow as it is checked 8)phone should tell you to push the power button to allow the update. 9)push power
10)DO NOT pester the phone while its updating. make sure its fully charged before doing this so it doesnt die in the middle.

when its done reboot to stock firmware and S-ON bootloader

*be patient... it takes a LONG time to read and check the file,and a LONG time to apply the update. if your phone doesnt ask you to update,youve either named it incorrectly,put it inside a folder,or possibly do not have a FAT32 formatted card(tho you should,as you needed to flash files like this to root in the first place)

fadepoint89

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow. I'm dumb. I was under the impression you wanted to unroot the phone. If that's the case disregard my last post.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow. I'm dumb. I was under the impression you wanted to unroot the phone. If that's the case disregard my last post.

When you want to expound upon an original post, could you please just edit the post? Just long press on the post and choose "Modify" if you are using Tapatalk.

Seeing like 5 back-to-back posts from one person is a little hard to follow, and I think admins consider it trolling.

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

Alma

May 8, 2011
Visit site
When you want to expound upon an original post, could you please just edit the post? Just long press on the post and choose "Modify" if you are using Tapatalk.

Seeing like 5 back-to-back posts from one person is a little hard to follow, and I think admins consider it trolling.

I found those back-to-back posts helpful and I am grateful for them.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/309817-easy-way-unroot.html

1)make sure your SD card is formatted FAT32
2)download file from link above 3)rename to "PG05IMG.zip" exactly (that is a zero,not an 'O')
4)transfer to the root of your SD card(top level-not inside a folder). 5)power off phone.
6)power on while holding volume down
7)you will see a blue status bar on the right top corner as the file is read. a yellow as it is checked 8)phone should tell you to push the power button to allow the update. 9)push power
10)DO NOT pester the phone while its updating. make sure its fully charged before doing this so it doesnt die in the middle.

when its done reboot to stock firmware and S-ON bootloader

*be patient... it takes a LONG time to read and check the file,and a LONG time to apply the update. if your phone doesnt ask you to update,youve either named it incorrectly,put it inside a folder,or possibly do not have a FAT32 formatted card(tho you should,as you needed to flash files like this to root in the first place)

Is the sdcard fat32 by default when u buy the stock phone or does this always require reformatting the card?