I have a Galaxy S8 in my hands — AMA!

Daniel Bader

Managing Editor, Android Central
Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Hey all, just a quick update.

I am really sorry for going MIA on this thread. Here's what happened. I got a Galaxy S8 to use in New York when the phone was announced, and got to take it home for a couple of days to test, which was pretty great — I was lucky, because most journos didn't have that opportunity.

Then Samsung asked for it back, and made me (and everyone else) sign a non-disclosure form agreeing not to talk about the phone until the embargo, which was today.

As a result I haven't really been able to participate in this thread the way I wanted, but I've been keeping tabs and plan to go back through the threads and answer your questions.

I also need to make a better habit of checking these threads on a regular basis. I'm really sorry about not being around, and promise to do better going forward!

-Daniel

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Possibly just busy too, there was no podcast this past week. Wasn't it a preproduction unit also? Or not final software? The embargo still seems to be up, no reviews yet. I'm sure there's only so much he can say.

No excuses, he did create the thread.

My bad! Read the above response, if possible.

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
How's the audio volume using wired earphones compared to the HTC 10?

Really good, though the HTC 10 has a better amplifier and DAC inside. Unless you're using really expensive headphones, you probably won't notice a difference, but the Galaxy S8, for its improvements over the S7, is no audiophile smartphone.

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Is there a noticeable longer range with Bluetooth 5.0?

Have you tried downloading BX Actions from Playstore and remapping Bixby Button? Does is allow 3 different actions to open ANY application of your choosing as demonstrated in this vid? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1BtU3ToNJY&t=85s

Thanks! BTC

There are no BT5.0 products to test at this point, so I can't say.

And as for remapping Bixby, well I received an update to the phone a day before the embargo and that closed the loophole to allow the button to be remapped. :(

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Well I don't know how you get it but @Daniel Bader does the S8 has some clues on if it will work with Daydream?

Does it has the Daydream app installed? if not, have you tried the device in a Daydream Headset and installing the app?

Unfortunately not! There's no reason it won't technically work with Daydream, but Samsung doesn't want you using Google's VR platform. It wants you to use the Gear VR!

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Hey all, just a quick update.

I am really sorry for going MIA on this thread. Here's what happened. I got a Galaxy S8 to use in New York when the phone was announced, and got to take it home for a couple of days to test, which was pretty great — I was lucky, because most journos didn't have that opportunity.

Then Samsung asked for it back, and made me (and everyone else) sign a non-disclosure form agreeing not to talk about the phone until the embargo, which was today.

As a result I haven't really been able to participate in this thread the way I wanted, but I've been keeping tabs and plan to go back through the threads and answer your questions.

I also need to make a better habit of checking these threads on a regular basis. I'm really sorry about not being around, and promise to do better going forward!

-Daniel

It's all good brother. I knew there was a reason and that you wouldn't just leave everyone hanging.