I know I have a virus on my phone but no antivirus software is removing it. What should I do?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

The virus makes my phone run slow and shows ads where I know there shouldn't be ads, such as on my home screen and in Whatsapp and Chrome. They take up the whole screen and can be deleted quickly but are annoying. I have run two (trusted) antivirus apps but they haven't solved the problem. What should I do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You have adware, which isn't the same as a virus. Follow the steps in the link belodion shared above. Or you could just uninstall apps one by one until the adware goes away. In the future, be more careful about apps you install. Always install from the Play Store (rather than downloading apks from random sites), and read reviews beforehand to see if people complain about a lot of ads.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
One last thing, uninstall the antivirus apps. They are a very likely source of the ads and your device running slow, especially if they were free apps.
Very bad idea. If they're reputable AV apps (Avast, AVG) they'll protect the phone and not slow it down. (The paid versions of some AV apps even watch your browser connections and warn you of bad sites.)

Running with no malware protection? Get one ransomware virus, and you'd better have everything backed up, because you'll have to reflash the ROM to get your phone back.

Do the above, but put your phone in Safe Mode to quickly rule out a virus, or you simply have dld one or more bad apps. Good luck
Many viruses install as system apps, so safe mode won't stop them.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Very bad idea. If they're reputable AV apps (Avast, AVG) they'll protect the phone and not slow it down.

Many viruses install as system apps, so safe mode won't stop them.

I have yet to hear of anyone actually getting a virus on Android. I have heard of thousands installing apps from unknown sources and regretting it. And they do slow down devices, running in the background all the time using RAM and battery, even some of the "reputable" ones. They're a pure scare tactic, either hoping to get your money or hoping to get your money, your id, control of your accounts (insert devious laugh).

In all my time here on AC have yet to have one person post about a virus and it actually be a virus and not a rogue app.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Very bad idea. If they're reputable AV apps (Avast, AVG)...

I wouldn't put AVG in that list anymore. They now have a task killer/memory booster function in their app. I don't like any app that multi-tasks such a broad spectrum like their app, especially if it includes a task killer.

I'd also disagree that going without anti-virus on Android is a very bad idea. I haven't used one in years with no issues. If you plan to surf the dark web and do a lot of sketchy stuff, then sure, get some extra protection. For a normal user that only gets apps from the Play store, doesn't click every random link, isn't gambling, isn't looking at a ton of adult sites, etc, the chances of being infected are slim to none.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't put AVG in that list anymore. They now have a task killer/memory booster function in their app. I don't like any app that multi-tasks such a broad spectrum like their app, especially if it includes a task killer.

I'd also disagree that going without anti-virus on Android is a very bad idea. I haven't used one in years with no issues. If you plan to surf the dark web and do a lot of sketchy stuff, then sure, get some extra protection. For a normal user that only gets apps from the Play store, doesn't click every random link, isn't gambling, isn't looking at a ton of adult sites, etc, the chances of being infected are slim to none.
I agree..

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have yet to hear of anyone actually getting a virus on Android. I have heard of thousands installing apps from unknown sources and regretting it. And they do slow down devices, running in the background all the time using RAM and battery, even some of the "reputable" ones. They're a pure scare tactic, either hoping to get your money or hoping to get your money, your id, control of your accounts (insert devious laugh).

In all my time here on AC have yet to have one person post about a virus and it actually be a virus and not a rogue app.
I have not experienced any of my andriod with a virus , even ones that stop getting security updates.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't put AVG in that list anymore. They now have a task killer/memory booster function in their app.
So does Avast, but you can disable all the functions except the anti-virus as you install it.

I come from he days that no one had thought of writing viruses (late 60s). Then a virus came through that attacked POP3 servers, and we spent one night cleaning over 1,000 workstations. Netware sent out an update to their print server (and that's what everyone was using for networking in those days). Some wag at 3M had "pre-infected" tens of thousands of floppies with a virus during formatting, and when Netware sent out that update, thousands of networks world-wide got infected.

Viruses are like lightning. They don't happen very often, but when they do, you really wish that you had taken precautions. (I have the full factory image of the latest ROM for my Pixel, and do a full backup of the userdata partition at least every month, and every time I make a major change, so reflashing the entire phone wouldn't be a problem, just a pain, but I still run Avast and Malwarebytes - and I've been warned about a few apps I tried to install from Play, and they turned out to not be false positives..

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So does Avast, but you can disable all the functions except the anti-virus as you install it.

I've had bad experiences in the past where multi-function apps like that will basically harass me with prompts to enable/subscribe to this, that, and the other function "for my benefit." So now I just stick to single purpose apps whenever possible, unless I want all the functions in a multi-purpose app. Not to mention the trust lost when they bold face lie that something like a memory boost function helps your performance.

2creus

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I have used AIO, All in One Toolbox for years and it really helps me keep my phone running faster. I primarily just use the boost, ram boost, clean, CPU cooler & startup manager. I also use Malwarebytes on my PC and my Note 9.(& MotoZ Play and Samsung TabE) They keep things running smoothly for me. Malwarebytes now has virus protection too so that's why I use it. It is good on all my devices. I don't mind helping a good developer for a well respected product. My son works for a place that fixes people's PC's & he's always removing viruses and malware etc. Of course he said I should get Vyper & use the smaller Malwarebytes. 😉 (On PC) Only the latter is needed on my android. I had Avast and it seemed OK but very intrusive.

Btw, not sure if this is the same thing but there is at least one pain in the... (ex sailor censored) thing that happens from time to time but isn't malware according to the Malwarebytes tech I spoke with. It involves an intrusive ad when you go to some sites. (AC flagged my post as spam so sorry if I am not being as informative as I had tried to be. Just trying to help) It takes over your browser page and said you won blah blah blah. They told me to delete the cache, uninstall & reinstall the browser and that worked. So even when it wasn't malware, they will still help you. I appreciate that.

I hope this one goes thru. 🤐
3rd time's a charm
4th?
I give up. Don't know what's wrong with what I wrote.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I have used AIO, All in One Toolbox for years and it really helps me keep my phone running faster. I primarily just use the boost, ram boost, clean, CPU cooler & startup manager. I also use Malwarebytes on my PC and my Note 9.(& MotoZ Play and Samsung TabE) They keep things running smoothly for me. Malwarebytes now has virus protection too so that's why I use it. It is good on all my devices. I don't mind helping a good developer for a well respected product. My son works for a place that fixes people's PC's & he's always removing viruses and malware etc. Of course he said I should get Vyper & use the smaller Malwarebytes. (On PC) Only the latter is needed on my android. I had Avast and it seemed OK but very intrusive.

Btw, not sure if this is the same thing but there is at least one pain in the... (ex sailor censored) thing that happens from time to time but isn't malware according to the Malwarebytes tech I spoke with. It involves an intrusive ad when you go to some sites. (AC flagged my post as spam so sorry if I am not being as informative as I had tried to be. Just trying to help) It takes over your browser page and said you won blah blah blah. They told me to delete the cache, uninstall & reinstall the browser and that worked. So even when it wasn't malware, they will still help you. I appreciate that.

I hope this one goes thru.
3rd time's a charm
4th?
I give up. Don't know what's wrong with what I wrote.
AIO, speed booster, cleaner, yada yada. There is nothing this 'booster' does that your Android OS doesn't already do. They're all BS. Heck, this developer acknowledges that he puts pop up ads in the app. The same app he wants you to dl to prevent pop-ups. SMH

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually boost, ram boost and clean slow the phone down and eat more battery. Any apparent speed-up is subjective. And there are other, simpler, apps that can reduce the CPU speed when the screen is off (which is what CPU Cooler does).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia