I Need to Roll-Back Google Play Services But it Won't Let Me

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I joined the Google Beta program when I needed the beta version of Google Play Services last month to fix the packet flooding issue with casting devices such as Chromecast and Google Home. It fixed it but I forgot to leave the beta program. Now Google Play Services (GPS) has a new beta update and it seems to have made things worse again with my Google Home devices and GPM. I've left the beta program and have tried the instructions I've found on line on how to uninstall GPS and then reinstall to the latest non-beta version (v11.9.75).

If I go to Settings/App Manager/GPS, Disable is grayed out. If I tap on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner to "uninstall updates"/Replace this app with the factory version?/ok, it says "can't uninstall because this pkg is an active device administrator. I found the following but can't find it on my S7...If the Disable checkbox is grayed out, then you have to carry out an intermediate step: go to Settings > Security > Device administrators and disable the Android Device Manager. Nor can I find anything that resembles Security/Device Administrators.

If I go to the App Store, I have an option to Deactivate. I get the following message, "this app is a device admin and must be deactivated before uninstalling". I click OK and nothing happens. I'm running Android 7.0

Does anyone have a way for me to remove this version and get back to the non-beta version of Google Play Services?

Thanks!

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Further reading says I have to root my S7 to uninstall GPS. Not gonna do that! Is there a way to roll back to the stable version?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Open settings, tap the magnifying glass on the upper right, type device admin, and it will take you straight there.

On the S7 the settings you were looking for are under lock screen and security>other security settings>device administrators. But there's always the settings search anyways. You can use that to look for most settings options.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
chancechan, typing device admin results in "no results found". Under Lockscreen and Security/Other Security Settings (I looked there before posting here) I don't have a device administrators option :( I have Phone Administrators but the only thing under that is
Find My Phone
Alfred
Capitol One
Lookout
Mastermind
Wait....let's see what happens when I UNcheck "Find My Phone". It's the only thing checked.
Bingo! Now I have the option of disabling GPS. After disabling it I set GPS back to factory defaults
and v.11.5.09. And now I can update to the latest non-beta version (11.9.75). WHEW!!!
Thanks so much for your help. I saw the Phone Admin but didn't see how those apps had
anything to do with what I was looking for. I just needed a little guidance :) Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol