I Shattered My Nexus 5 Screen - Any Personal Experiences Replacing one?

AzAssassin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure this issue/question has been posted on here before, but I was hoping to make a thread that specifically asks for personal experiences (and prices) with getting a Nexus replacement screen and installing it personally, and/or getting it repaired by a shop/online store. I would also like to ask for advice on which route to take: Should I buy a replacement screen from eBay or Amazon and then try to install it myself? Or should I try to pay a shop or send it to LG to get the screen replaced? Cost is a major factor here, as I often don't have an extra $80-$150 to spend (which is what I'm estimating the potential costs to be).

So, has anyone on here bought an LCD replacement screen?
- If so, where did you buy it from? eBay? Amazon? Another site/seller/local store?
- How much did it cost?
- If applicable, did you buy just the glass screen or the LCD Digitizer Combo?
- Did you install it yourself? If so, how difficult was it? Did it work fully/properly?
- If you bought a screen and then paid to have it installed, how much did that cost?

And has anyone paid a store, site, or LG to replace the screen/LCD Digitizer?
- If so, how much did this cost for the screen/LCD Digitizer and the labor total?

FYI, in case anyone cares/is curious and wanted to ask how this happened (and I'd think that some people are/would), I left to work while in a rush 4-5 days ago, and as I went to get in to my vehicle, somehow, I accidentally hit my phone with my free hand and knocked it out of my other hand and it landed face/screen-down on the concrete ground and majorly shattered the glass. My phone still works, and the entire touch screen seems to work properly, but there are some parts of the glass that are raised up a little and caused me to worry about possibly slicing my fingers while running them across the screen. I bought a set of 3 cheap plastic screen covers (Griffin 'Cut-To-Fit Screen Protectors') and have been using my phone with one of these plastic covers for the past 2-3 days and it definitely seems to help to protect my fingers from being cut by the glass, but it doesn't fit tightly (because of the cracks) and it's annoying and causes some glare. And I actually got the OTA notice for Android 5.0 yesterday, but I have been so frustrated after shattering the screen that I haven't even bothered to download the update. So, if it's going to be practical and affordable, I'd really like to try to get the screen replaced ASAP.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who tries to help me with this!

received_10205590763035534.jpegreceived_10205590762195513.jpeg

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Did you buy from the google play store? If so, there are reports that Google may be willing to do a one time exchange free of cost.

ColoradoSteve

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I replaced my screen 1 time with the Google Play store about 6 weeks ago.

Call and be nice. This isn't a 'done deal' and they can decide to exchange your phone or not.

Again - be nice on the phone.

AzAssassin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I specifically meant to mention this in the OP, but I was tired and forgot to: I bought this Nexus 5 used from someone from Craigslist and I did call (either Google, LG, or both) a few days ago to ask about the free replacement opportunity and I was told that my phone was not bought from the Google Play Store, and also that the person I spoke to was unaware of any sort of free replacement program.

So, with that free replacement seemingly not being a realistic option for me, has anyone actually bought and personally installed a screen/LCD Digitizer on a Nexus 5? Or paid a store to replace it? If so, please share some details on prices and which screen/LCD Digitizer package you bought, or some details on where you got it repaired/replaced and the cost. It would be very much appreciated!

toilet-handle

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
That sucks I just got mine replaced by Google. If anything browse around for a screen and follow a guide off YouTube

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jason8080

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Google Customer Support supervisor by the name of Andrew lied through his teeth by telling me that Google had never replaced cracked screens for any customer. I did not have high hope anyway because this is a hidden practice and Google has no intention to advertise it. But it is a different matter to categorically lie about its existence. This shattered my trust in Google's culture.

Aj Irawan

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Get LCD and Digitizer combo from Ebay, you can find cheap one since the phone has been out for over a year. Don't get Digitizer only, it is A PAIN ON THE *** unless you can find someone who's highly experienced but I doubt it. Once u get it, find someone (In this case, i've got friend who does all these broken screen replacement thing) to put it on and voila! You got ur phone back. Total cost for me was well Below $100 including his service

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned above, getting the digitizer/glass combo to replace the shattered screen is well worth the slightly extra costs. You'll save time and not have to worry about possibly damaging the original then place a separate order for digitizer only.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
That looks just like my screen. I have a 16gb that I'm not sure is even worth replacing. I called around and most places want about $150 for parts and labor.

If I buy a digitizer screen combo on eBay how do I know I'm getting a quality screen same as oem? And how much do you think it would cost to install it I buy he parts?

If I decide not to go this route is there any used market for a broken screen 16gb n5?

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I damaged mine by getting some rain in it, and a local Toronto dealer put a new one on for $170.

Now I've cracked it again (using the darn case from now on!) and I think I might try getting one off Ebay- I see $86 delivered with digitizer... and install it myself. I was able to get the battery out with Youtube vids, this can't be that much harder.

I wonder though, is there a chance this thing will keep functioning for long with a cracked screen? It's cracked in 3 places a total of about 6 inches of cracks. Anyone know? It's behaving fine, and I put a screen protector on it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara