I want to uninstall the latest samsung software update on my phone.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I updated my phone Samsung G s7 to the newest software and have had ALOT of problems since. I want to roll back to the previous software

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Jess Chavez

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
I have a Samsung S9 and completely unsatisfied with the One UI Android Pie update. My phone is almost unrecognizable, my icons make my phone look like a toy or just Facebook messenger, and it seems like its turning more into an apple-style display. I hate it. If I wanted an iPhone I would have one. I need to get rid of this update and go back to what I had before. I officially hate my phone now.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, B. Diddy's reply from 8 months ago applies still.

However - there are some considerations when doing that. You remove any opportunity for getting future critical security updates as Samsung has now stopped all development on the old OS for your device. You also risk rendering your device unusable if you do something wrong. Your device will end up as reset as it will be wiped to reinstall the old firmware.

Olliebambino

Feb 27, 2019
Visit site
I have a Samsung S9 and completely unsatisfied with the One UI Android Pie update. My phone is almost unrecognizable, my icons make my phone look like a toy or just Facebook messenger, and it seems like its turning more into an apple-style display. I hate it. If I wanted an iPhone I would have one. I need to get rid of this update and go back to what I had before. I officially hate my phone now.

Did you figure out how to do this? I feel the same way and it now keeps disconnecting from my bluetooth in my vehicle mid call.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Did you figure out how to do this? I feel the same way and it now keeps disconnecting from my bluetooth in my vehicle mid call.

Did you read the previous responses to the thread? Our guide on how to flash a Samsung phone using Odin was linked earlier in the thread. Also, some of the issues are theme-based, try another theme and see if it will work for you. We have MANY other threads in the forums discussing this.

Chris Walz

Feb 27, 2019
Visit site
Did you read the previous responses to the thread? Our guide on how to flash a Samsung phone using Odin was linked earlier in the thread. Also, some of the issues are theme-based, try another theme and see if it will work for you. We have MANY other threads in the forums discussing this.

Ok I've been dealing with this for over a week to. I hate literally everything about the new update and literally nobody is helping. If Android really cared about its customers it wouldn't ramrod crappy updates down people's throat with literally zero way to roll it back. And nobody seems to want to take responsibility. I don't want another theme. I want my old os back. I shouldn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to undo a bad decision made by Android. I'm also livid with both Samsung and Verizon for allowing their customers to have no voice in this matter.

Chris Walz

Feb 27, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You can't uninstall system updates. You'd have to use Odin to flash the previous firmware: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html

What problems are you having? Perhaps we could help with some specific issues. You could also try wiping the cache partition, which can be a helpful general troubleshooting step after a system update: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-30240

As far as your suggestion to download odin, it costs money. You are literally asking for us to pay to remove your pos os!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's a Samsung issue, not a Google/Android issue. The Android system update itself works just fine on Pixel phones -- the problems start when Samsung has to modify everything it has to in order for the update to work with their own hardware, user interface, and ecosystem (and things don't always work right the first time). If you don't like how Samsung does things, then don't give them your business -- consider changing to a Pixel phone next time, or some other phone that doesn't modify the base Android code at all (or minimally), like Nokia or other Android One makers.

BTW, there has been help offered in this thread, which is basically to use Odin to flash the previous firmware. You'd then have to root the phone to disable the system updater.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As far as your suggestion to download odin, it costs money. You are literally asking for us to pay to remove your pos os!!!

1. Odin doesn't cost any money to download -- I just did so without having to pay: https://samsungodin.com/

2. It's not my nor our OS -- it's Google's OS. Be aware that this is an independent community forum, without any direct affiliation with Google, Samsung or any other company.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
2. It's not my nor our OS -- it's Google's OS. Be aware that this is an independent community forum, without any direct affiliation with Google, Samsung or any other company.

More importantly - many of the elements being complained about were Samsung-developed, which makes the following point even more important.

If you don't like how Samsung does things, then don't give them your business -- consider changing to a Pixel phone next time, or some other phone that doesn't modify the base Android code at all (or minimally), like Nokia or other Android One makers.

Many people don't realize - Android is more than Samsung. I won't deny that the Samsung hardware is beautiful (I even have a Samsung tablet!) but the OS experience sometimes leaves a lot to be desired...

EmpathyBadger

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
What's making me crazy is the huge light colored fields telling me what screen I'm in that take up a third of the screen. Really? I'm in "Messages"? I would know if I could see more of them instead of the high contrast info box wasting all my space. Also the light strips against dark backgrounds. Again, one of the appeals of Android has been not having everything against a white contrasty background (migraine inducing). Even with themes, there are still bright strips and boxes now. And the dark mode that comes with the phone is basically there because they've made everything lighter than before. It's a childish looking theme. And you can't use it with a theme you download. I've found downloaded themes that keep most of my phone dark, but now they don't work anymore because Pie keeps portions of the screen light and unaffected by the themes. For example, when I go into messages I now have a bright interface. So frustrating that Samsung doesn't respect their consumers. Keep your brand consistent. Give options.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Set all your apps to dark. (Most of them, other than games, can be.)

And if you don't like Samsung, they're only one of many manufacturers of Android phones. Try LG, OnePlus, Google, HTC, etc.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have an S8 and I just downloaded the update. None of my apps work. I use my phone for business and need me apps. Please can you tell me how to uninstall this update?

We have, in post 2 of this thread. The end result is a blank device that you have to fully reconfigure, so I suggest maybe putting in a little time and effort to see if there are resolutions to your issues. What apps are being a problem and what is that problem? Have you contacted support for those apps to verify support for Pie? Pie is not new, it's been out in full release for other devices for 6 months at this point.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy