Needkeys

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
It pains me to actually be asking a question about icon appearances. I love Ara Wagoner's articles, but I personally have never given a rats arse about how my phone looks. Other than using dark wallpaper and dark themes within apps whenever possible for the sole purpose of maximizing battery life, I've always been a form over substance person when it comes to my use of the phone. I want it to do what I want it to do, and I've never really cared much about whether it accomplishes my objectives with this color/design or that color/design.

I just upgraded to Nougat on Verizon. I waited a while for the inevitable bugs and kinks to get worked out. So far so good. Battery life hasn't taken a hit, the phone definitely has a more snappy feel to it, and I'm relatively content in Nougatland.

Relatively.

Samsung Nougat brought about changes to the basic icons (stock email, stock messages, etc.). The flaming orange envelope email icon is painful...even for me. I have no idea what they were thinking when they created that for the new icon design. Whateva...

So I downloaded Awesome Icons and went through a few of the free icon packs (I really like Lines). The idea was to substitute a different email icon for the new stock icon, without having to go through the headache of installing a new launcher. I get all the customization features that something like Nova offers, but I'm ok with Touchwiz. It works for me.

So I downloaded Awesome Icons, found an email icon I liked and substituted it for the stock icon. Everything worked, until I realized that the icon badge counter was gone. I know that badge counters are a love-hate thing depending on who you talk to. I like them. But it was gone with the new icon. When I opened the app drawer and looked at the flaming orange envelope icon, it had the badge counter on it working just fine.

So I assume I basically lose the functionality of the badge counter with any new icon I use, unless I install a new launcher like Nova and then also install some sort of badge counter app within that launcher (I recall reading something somewhere about Tesla unread)? Do I have that right? Is there any other way?

Thanks.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
That was a long past so I might have missed it. Do you try changing themes or just the icons through the icon store? There is a lot of good free sets.

I got around the Samsung email app icon by not using it. I use Gmail, I can delete emails my notification bar.

Enverdaz

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung Theme store has the solution I liked:
sd-Black
the icon pack is acceptable and the theme set the whole system to a Hex-Black background. I changed the wallpaper once installed keeping with the dark / black theme.
I do use Action Launcher 3 currently, but these themes are from the Samsung App Store and don't require any changes to your TouchWiz Launcher.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards