If Google offered a tablet for $199 but $100 back once you spent $100 in Google Play would you buy?

Would you buy a $199 tablet with $100 off after spending $100 in Google Play?

• Total voters

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
What if Google offered their next tablet as $199 but once you spent $100 in the Google Play market, they'd give you $100 cash back rebate? Would you do this? Would it make a difference in whether you buy the tablet?

And imagine there's a time limit on spending the $100 in Google Play of 6 months (so if you don't do it in 6 months, you don't get $100 back)

BlackedOutLT1

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Maybe spend $50 and get a $100 back. That would be A LOT of stuff to purchase, thus you would really have to like reading and purchase books/magazines or rent a lot of movies lol. I guess if you streamed them from your tablet to a tv it wouldn't be too bad of a deal.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
its like this current Nexus 7 is $199 and all buyer got a $25
this plan is $199 and buyers get a credit of $100. sounds like a win to me.

Last edited:

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
No way would I fall for this. I imagine this scenario: It's $199 for the 8GB tablet plus $100 at the app store in 6 months (waste of money) then you wait another 6 months for the rebate that gets cancelled 4 months into your wait period and now your out $300 instead of $250 for a 16GB Nexus straight up no gimmicks. Just my opinion.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't spent all of my free $25 credit in two months. Where am I going to find $100 of stuff worth buying out of pocket on the Play store?

I'm not slamming the Play store's selection. I just don't need a lot of apps or $100 worth of extra movies, books, songs, etc.

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
An interesting idea, but no I wouldn't buy it. I don't make the kind of purchases that would get me to $100 that quickly. I'm already struggling to spend the $25. And this sort of structure has a couple of things going against it. 1. The prices for video content is still too high for what you get. I'd rather invest that into a DVD/Bluray and maybe get an ultraviolet license with it that I could watch on the Nexus. 2. I'd still rather read a book on my Kindle Keyboard instead of the tablet. I've done it and it's ok, but pales in comparison. Plus Amazons prices are a little better and they usually price match whatever the current sale is on Google. 3. Essentially the same thing goes for music. The prices are generally higher on Google than on Amazon and when they're not, Amazon at least price matches.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't spent all of my free $25 credit in two months. Where am I going to find $100 of stuff worth buying out of pocket on the Play store?

That's easy... music. I spent all my $25 on apps, but if I *had* to spend a bunch of money quickly, music adds up quickly.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
What I find odd about everyone saying they wouldn't do this is, you all spent $199 on a Nexus 7, yet if that same Nexus 7 had come with this deal you're all saying no to it?

razter

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
What I find odd about everyone saying they wouldn't do this is, you all spent $199 on a Nexus 7, yet if that same Nexus 7 had come with this deal you're all saying no to it?

lol You are stating it is odd only because people aren't agreeing with you.
In your proposed deal, the cost of the tablet is exactly the same. The only money you get back is the additional $100 you spend at Google Play. So basically you would get extra apps, etc, for free, after you spend another $100.
In the actual deal that Google has, they give you, without any extra cost to you, $25 to spend in Google Play. This is a much better deal.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Lol I'm having a hard time spending my $25 credit as it is, I'd probably piss away the $100 on stuff I'd never use. Nice, but I don't think Google would set up an offer where where they'd literally give you real money back.

Now, I if they had an upcoming 10" tab, I'd love an offer where if N7 owners spend $50 in the play store (including mag subs) you'd get like $100 off the new tablet from their store :D. Might make more of an incentive to buy both devices.

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Not quite the way I understood the terms of your hypothetical deal. Let me lay it out for you like this. Given the choice between the immediate $25 credit and the $100 later, I'd take the $25 in a heart beat for the same reasons I listed above. If only your deal was available, it wouldn't stop me from buying it but it wouldn't entice me to buy it either. In that situation I very likely would never see that $100.

Mongooze2

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I'd take that deal for sure. I think I could easily find a way to blow through 100$ in books, movies, music, and apps. I'd be more likely to buy the tablet as long as there wasn't a bunch of fine print associated with getting the rebate.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the finances to buy a tablet, then spend $100 in apps. I've had my N7 since mid-July and I just finished the $25 credit last week. I used the $25 because it was someone else's money. If I had to spend $25 of my own money before I received the $25 in Google Play credit I would have been very stingy about buying apps.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: If Google offered a tablet for $199 but $100 back once

Not nearly as odd as this topic. Whats the point?

In a UK watch forum, they have a term for pointless time waster threads: "Cats, or cheese?" :rolleyes:

ATTN MOD The subject is too long for the forum app, i had to delete some to post...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If google is to sell $100 worth of apps then they would only make $5 out of it. so its totally not worth it for google.

not sure about how much they take a cut on Music/books/magazine/Movies. I assume the same 5%

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claudio1986saavedra