News If history repeats itself, the Google Pixel may end up in the graveyard

edubfromktown

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site
I have not had a Pixel with the new processor yet.
But have read mixed reviews on.

I've been using an S23+ as my daily driver since October. With the recent discount offer and added incentives, I ordered a Pixel 8 Pro to run through the paces and see how it stacks up.

It did fine- display has darker dark mode though colors are a bit oversaturated no matter what settings and resolution I set it to. Scrolling in apps and browser with graphics interspersed is choppy by comparison, mobile and wifi reception still lags behind, gets warmer under constant use (not as bad as P6 and P7) and factoring in past hardware wonkiness/fails and lackluster battery resiliency it is going back to Google.

Snapdragon 2 definitely has better overall performance from a daily usability perspective. Geekbench 6 corroborates that to some extent.

Pixel: 1767 / 4463
S23+: 1989 / 5138

Tensor 3 may have some magical future "AI" capabilities but I'm not holding my breath or prepared to get Motorola'd by Google when they kill it LOL

Reactions: notforhire

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've been using an S23+ as my daily driver since October. With the recent discount offer and added incentives, I ordered a Pixel 8 Pro to run through the paces and see how it stacks up.

It did fine- display has darker dark mode though colors are a bit oversaturated no matter what settings and resolution I set it to. Scrolling in apps and browser with graphics interspersed is choppy by comparison, mobile and wifi reception still lags behind, gets warmer under constant use (not as bad as P6 and P7) and factoring in past hardware wonkiness/fails and lackluster battery resiliency it is going back to Google.

Snapdragon 2 definitely has better overall performance from a daily usability perspective. Geekbench 6 corroborates that to some extent.

Pixel: 1767 / 4463
S23+: 1989 / 5138

Tensor 3 may have some magical future "AI" capabilities but I'm not holding my breath or prepared to get Motorola'd by Google when they kill it LOL
The Tensor chip is going take time and growing pains probably by the 5th generation when Google can have full control we are going to see big improvements my guess , Don't forget Samsung in the past have gone through these growing pains where the Exynos was far superior to snap dragon and it changed probably around the s10 series.

Reactions: edubfromktown

gmd123

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Like other Pixel phones, mine has lots of issues. New ones come out all the time. I had taken a warranty; I reached out and I'm sending it in. No more Pixel for me. I will have used it for over 13 months.

The Pixel 4 was great, but it needs a battery (for which you need to break the screen to get to it).

It'll be better if Google stopped.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Like other Pixel phones, mine has lots of issues. New ones come out all the time. I had taken a warranty; I reached out and I'm sending it in. No more Pixel for me. I will have used it for over 13 months.

The Pixel 4 was great, but it needs a battery (for which you need to break the screen to get to it).

It'll be better if Google stopped.
I still have my pixel 4xl they replaced the battery I think 2 years ago under the extended battery warranty (they had issues) works great still but when ubeeakifix did the repair shortly the camera stopped working never took it back lol

stoogel

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
Pixel 6 has been flawless for me. I just need stock Android, RCS support, and a halfway decent camera. Not sure what Google is doing with Tensor though- the chips underperform and they're offloading all that generative AI photo stuff to their servers anyway. Could see them abandoning that project eventually.

fpink3

Jan 6, 2024
Visit site
I wrote earlier that my Pixel 6 Pro was essentially flawless. Then I remembered the "live screening" incident. I used it to join a live webcast discussion. After 10 minutes or so, it overheated and shut down. Not a deal-breaker for me, but it could be for many people.

dneonu80

Sep 30, 2023
Visit site
In 2021 the year Google ditched Qualcomm in favor of their custom made tensor chip along with Google already making their android OS, it appeared that Google following in Apple iPhone successful footsteps of being a in-house closed ecosystem was a good thing which got many pixel owners excited such as myself. Unfortunately that backfired on Google because the best pixel phones were the ones powered by Qualcomm while the tensor powered pixels have all kinds of flaws and issues which is something Google's last Qualcomm powered phone(pixel 5 which I proudly own and still performs good despite running on the dated 765G chip) didn't have. So with that said, it's no wonder pixel 8 pro is clearly inferior compared to iPhone 15 pro max. Now if Google had remained with Qualcomm, the pixel 8 pro powered by 8 gen 3 would have stood eye to eye with iPhone 15 pro max powered by A17 bionic.

ktpixelpro

Jan 9, 2024
Visit site
On the one hand, Google has gotten to 8 so I feel like the Pixel probably isn't on the chopping block. From the big G side of things, there are some advantages to the Pixel over Android in general, beyond just earning money on the hardware (though I am sure they do earn money on the hardware and I am sure that helps). It seems likely to be around for several more years unless Google truly gets a shakeup. On the other side, as a consumer I have gone from a Google supporter and even evangelist to being a solid skeptic. Google killed both Reader and Play Music while they were still popular, pushed VR hard for three years then utterly dropped it (I understand why they moved away, but it went from darling to "never heard of it" in less than a month) and went back on their multiple promises to keep Stadia going. They also never really lived up to the original promise of the Pixel, which was supposed to be a more mainstream phone with better, more solid features and excellent support. Instead, the hardware feature set has failed to be either groundbreaking or stable, and the support has been hit-or-miss at best since the start. Google has also broadly been mediocre at ecosystem integration as well, buying Fitbit and then not bringing wear and Fitbit to the same standards, or making them work together, putting out nest devices but then making them obsolete in a handful of years, making a tablet that's also a smart speaker but isn't good at either and costs as much as both combined from another company, transitioning to Matter but not explaining that transition to consumers, brow beating Apple over RCS but then not making Voice compatible, pumping new assistant features that only make it to the Pixel line (if that) and frankly lying outright about their coming cross platform AI capabilities earlier this year. Oh, and do we all remember what a mess Google made of chat a few years ago, killing their strong chat program, trying to launch several other chat platforms with a mishmash of "features" all at the same time and failing to provide even the basics of their old chat platform while doing so? While I have always believed that Android OS has advantages over iOS, after 8 generations the Pixel has failed to even match, much less exceed, the iPhone in any strong point except the camera, and it's not because Apple has an unbeatable model.

That doesn't mean Pixel phones are technically bad phones, it's just really hard for me to get excited about a premium brand from a company that so frequently demonstrates their need for a rectal craniotomy.
It can be a lot cheaper than an iPhone though depending on the pixel you buy so for some of us that matters.

Reactions: edubfromktown

edubfromktown

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site
It can be a lot cheaper than an iPhone though depending on the pixel you buy so for some of us that matters.
Yep.

Sometimes right at release with bundled items included it can offset the cost. In the past I'd sell the extras and don't bother with that hassle anymore.

Lately I find waiting 6-9 months after (both with S23+ and Pixle 8 Pro) reduced the outlay by $300 or more for unlocked devices ordered direct form the manufacturers.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey man, you're the one that's Ampedup.

I'm not sure how I would feel threatened by a phone... maybe if the battery was very swollen and likely to catch fire? Regardless, I would argue that whether you love or hate the Pixel it is at least partially bad for the Android ecosystem as a whole. Although it has potentially had some positive effects as well.
Pixel is in no way bad for Android. Every manufacturer has had and will continue to have issues. Just part of the game.

Reactions: mustang7757