Immersive mode

TestType

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
The immersive mode feature, it's not user enabled right? Is it completely dependent on developers updating their apps to support it?
This is one of the biggest features of this update and yet I can't find any concrete details on it and I've yet to find a N5 review that even mentions it.

I'm very excited to better utilize precious vertical space on my N7 in landscape mode, but I'll probably hold off on kitkat if it's up to the devs to support it until the apps I think would benefit from it are updated. Or until I'm satisfied nothing is broken in 4.4.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
It is a pretty awesome feature. When using Google Now to search for images, tapping on the images now goes into immersive mode.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
That's nice. To those of you who have kitkat, what apps, if any, currently support immersive mode?

YouTube does it. I think a few more Google apps too but I can't remember.

Also any recorded video you take with the phone uses it in the gallery as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Jlav78

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Pie control on custom ROM's work similarly but it depends on the user to activate it, not the developer. I have it on my nexus 4 and haven't turned it off much since I got it

Posted via Android Central App on my nexus 4

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
YouTube does it. I think a few more Google apps too but I can't remember.

Also any recorded video you take with the phone uses it in the gallery as well.

Posted via Android Central App

YouTube has had that for a while. The new type immersive mode in 4.4 uses the swipe down gesture instead of the tap in YouTube.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
YouTube has had that for a while. The new type immersive mode in 4.4 uses the swipe down gesture instead of the tap in YouTube.

You can still tap to get out of it. There's no point in swiping down. The swipe down gesture will be more useful when game developers use it in their games so you can play full screen and swipe down to exit immersive.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
You can still tap to get out of it. There's no point in swiping down. The swipe down gesture will be more useful when game developers use it in their games so you can play full screen and swipe down to exit immersive.

I know. My point was, that the type of immersive mode that was introduced in 4.4, has nothing to do with the type that YouTube and movie players have had for a while.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
The update to newsstand happened today and immersive mode isn't working.... I mean this is a Google product.. Why wouldn't this work...

ardadikbiyik

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Also Google's Photos app works that way as far as I discovered.

PS: photos app has become a nice replacement for gallery app. I think there is no need for using the gallery app anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I think part of immersive mode is not only to hide the nav buttons in apps but also be able to always show the status bar in any app by swiping down from the top. It's something that apple has always done with their notification bar while in apps and Samsung has also implemented this into touchwiz a while ago. Its an awesome feature and so subtle yet so useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allirose