In dire need of help. Recovery reboot loop due to negligence

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Is there any fix without going full stock?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

There is no reason not to go to full stock. I just want to see him have a fully functioning phone again and revisit installing a custom recovery and ROM later on. Taking it slow.

I'm not sure which the phone was shipped with. Should I do 2.2.1 to be safe? How should I go about putting .zips on the sd card if i cannot turn on usb sharing? just use my other phone to transfer like I was before?

You're better off doing the 2.2.1 for now, forget the 2.2.2 update. You can use ADB to push the file to your SD card, the command would be the following: (this will probably take a few minutes, just let it sit)

adb push (name of file) /sdcard/

although I'm wondering why you can't use USB storage?

Reactions: dollarhax

magus7091

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Returning to stock isn't necessary to activate, harmonia 1 and Rhode both have activate.apk. But before you go through that, why not try replacing the xionia recovery flashable zip and reboot recovery, you can always repeat what Cole had you do if that starts the recovery loop again...

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Returning to stock isn't necessary to activate, harmonia 1 and Rhode both have activate.apk. But before you go through that, why not try replacing the xionia recovery flashable zip and reboot recovery, you can always repeat what Cole had you do if that starts the recovery loop again...

There is no reason to do that. He is on a perfectly fine custom recovery right now. He wants to go back to stock. Plus, he said something in the op about the meid being changed which leads me to believe he will need stock to use the dialer codes.

Just flash Harmonia and try to call / text. If that doesn't work, run Activate and try again. If that doesn't work, we will get you back to stock and Virgin can fix it.

magus7091

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently scouring the web for the update.zip on a mirror, as virgin has removed it. If worse comes to worse I have a link with a nandroid and recovery for the original screen, and access to a dump of the new screen stock recovery and a very not stock nandroid.
[edit]
The one I have comes from when I helped a friend of mine root and ROM her new OV. Is there any way I could remove her apps, sms and other private data from the backup? I know I can redo the md5 once done but I wouldn't know what to eliminate other than apks...

dollarhax

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
just boots right back to recovery when trying to install the ROM through the zip :\

I did not "wipe data/factory reset and did not wipe cache partition, just under mounts / storage i did format /boot, /cache, /data/ and /system.

I too am going to go to bed with hopes of a new idea tomorrow. And I cannot do the usb thing because when it's in recovery, the only thing I see relating to USB storage is "mount usb storage" and then it tells me it cannot find the specified path.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'm going to have you flash the stock update.zip. I won't be able to get you a link until tonight, I have to upload it from my computer.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
just boots right back to recovery when trying to install the ROM through the zip :\

I did not "wipe data/factory reset and did not wipe cache partition, just under mounts / storage i did format /boot, /cache, /data/ and /system.

I too am going to go to bed with hopes of a new idea tomorrow. And I cannot do the usb thing because when it's in recovery, the only thing I see relating to USB storage is "mount usb storage" and then it tells me it cannot find the specified path.

Can you be more specific? Does it fully flash the zip, saying install completed, and just reboot you back into recovery? Or does it reboot when you try to install the zip?

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=178504

The zip is on this page. Flash it once, reboot, let it sit a minute, reboot back into recovery, flash it again.

dollarhax

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you be more specific? Does it fully flash the zip, saying install completed, and just reboot you back into recovery? Or does it reboot when you try to install the zip?

Reboots after a successful install of the ROM, after saying it flashed successfully and needs a reboot. Going to try the stock one now.

dollarhax

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Finding update package
OPening update Package
Installing update
(couple seconds / mins pass)

Install from sdcard complete.

Went to reboot system option on the recovery menu (top option iirc), it went back into recovery. Tried installing again, this time from the "install /sdcard/update.zip" option in the recovery menu. Got Install from sdcard complete. Powered off. Turned back on, went back to CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5.

dollarhax

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Well so I rebooted twice and still kept going into recovery, so out of curiosity I went to install from .zip and tried the Xionia. Got the CWM nonsense again, recovery crashed, wiping cache etc etc and reboots. Except NOOOOOW when it reboots, it rebooted into the stock ROM. So I was curious if it would stick, so I turned it off. This time, I tried loading by holding the home + vol down + power button.

But NOOOOOOOW, it's loading into Xionia's...Sort of. I still got "Android system recovery... Do not pull out the battery!!" but now the text is blue, and here's the format of what I see.

"Android system recovery <3e>

Android system recovery utility

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partion
(line break here, then says the android system recovery don't pull out battery nonsense)

This is progress, no? Xionias and stock rom? Going to apply update again, and try to boot into the stock rom again and see if it fails or not.

dollarhax

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
OH MY GOD IT WORKS. IT F***ING WORKS. REBOOTS BACK INTO STOCK, INPUT THE MDN AND MSID AND IT GOT THE 30 MISSED MESSAGES AND IT CAN DO CALLING. IT F***ING WORKS.

You're a miracle worker, Cole. I truly appreciate the help.

Too bad she brought home poor grades and cannot use her phone all summer so really I didn't even need to fix it but I was determined and with your help, it works.

Thank you so so so very much.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I really didn't do much. I'm glad you got it working.

Want to pay it forward? List the exact steps you took, and the state your phone was in. There are lots of other threads with your same issue.

Not like, from square one, maybe starting from when I had you flash the cwm recovery?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332