Incoming notifications/texts/emails etc screen doesn't turn on

Dayvidpriddy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Quick question...when my phone is asleep and I get incoming notifications whether they be texts, emails, notifications, etc my screen does not turn on briefly to alert me, only the notification light blinks. Is this normal or is there a setting on my phone that is not enabled correctly? I kinda don't like this, I'm use to my phone briefly turning it's screen on when incoming alerts hit my device (coming from an iPhone.) Please tell me there is a way to enable this?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Quick question...when my phone is asleep and I get incoming notifications whether they be texts, emails, notifications, etc my screen does not turn on briefly to alert me, only the notification light blinks. Is this normal or is there a setting on my phone that is not enabled correctly? I kinda don't like this, I'm use to my phone briefly turning it's screen on when incoming alerts hit my device (coming from an iPhone.) Please tell me there is a way to enable this?

The screen does not turn on. Just the notification light. It's not an iPhone

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Use lightflow led control. You can then control what color the led blinks for different notifications

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
WOW, very annoying. Every other mobile OS does this, not sure why Android does not, I assumed it was a standard feature.

Because why turn on the screen, the biggest battery drain, when a Led takes care of notifying you?

Thor20003

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My screen comes on any time I get a text message so it must be a setting somewhere. Not sure about emails or other general notifications.

Dayvidpriddy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
What kind of phone do you have Thor? I have a Nexus 5 which does not have things like HTC sense and stuff over top of the Android, maybe that's why your screen turns on? Other people say the screen does not turn on, Google searches reveal this as well. I would never use hangouts lol It's not a big deal and I'll get use to it, there are apps out there to fix the issue...I might dig into it at a later time.

P.S. I did check hangouts in the settings, notifications is checked but it still does not wake the screen up from a locked mode. I have yet to change my default sms app...I just activated my line today.

Thor20003

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I use a Nexus 5. I thought that was a given. :). BTW, hangouts works just fine for me. Nice and simple with good integration to my other services. No complaints here. I hope you find the settings to do what you want to do.

DaveG67

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
If you want a dumbphone, go back to iPhone. You can root your phone and do whatever you want to it as far as notifications. Even on stock you can use LightFlowLite and control vibration, sound, screen, and notification light. If you put effort into customizing your phone, you will get the most out of it. Otherwise, don't complain that it's not an iPhone.

Dayvidpriddy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
If you want a dumbphone, go back to iPhone. You can root your phone and do whatever you want to it as far as notifications. Even on stock you can use LightFlowLite and control vibration, sound, screen, and notification light. If you put effort into customizing your phone, you will get the most out of it. Otherwise, don't complain that it's not an iPhone.

No need to get your panties all tied up in knots bro, it's just a conversation...chill out!

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Chomp SMS (among others probably) has a great pop up notification for texts that turns the screen on and allows you to reply without having to unlock the phone. Personally, I would never use Hangouts for texting right now. It just doesn't have enough features for me.

Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. My Nexus 5's screen briefly flashes on for incoming texts. Seems that could be a Textra setting, then.

Dayvidpriddy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Yup I'm liking Textra big time, although I don't have the option ticked to wake up screen...I kinda already like the discreetness of the screen staying off. Of course I'm going to compare one OS to a another after switching since I'm use to that OS, it's only natural but already I'm getting use to it being the default behavior across the board. I kinda like it:)

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

There is an app called Slidelock Locker. It's the closest thing to the iPhone notification system other than an actual iPhone. There is a free and paid version.

Revyaanshu

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Or you could use dynamic notifications. It lights up the screen with an icon of the app that has a notification. works perfectly on the nexus 5.

Lizziekinz

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
OK so I had this problem and when I dug a little I found that your phone (this is stupid, but hear me out) goes into what's called "deep sleep mode" which happens after a certain amount of time after the screen goes to sleep. Not exactly sure how long, but when it's in deep sleep mode, nothing will wake it except a manual press of the power button, an alarm going off or receiving a phone call since all the sensors and syncing is turned off and the CPU is sleeping to save battery. I think some built-in apps have permissions to wake it, which is why your native messenger app will wake it, and I think probably gmail or email too, but any third party apps like viber and snapchat are a no-go. You phone might be in something called "battery-saving mode" which can do this but if it's automatic and built into your phone then there's a couple of ways to get around it, all of which will cause your phone's battery to drain faster. (I don't think it's by a massive amount but will have to wait and see since I've only been experimenting with this for a bit). There are a couple of third party apps which work in different ways to prevent your phone from "deep sleeping", one of which is app-specific, called " Screen notifications", this is buggy and doesn't work properly on some phones, but for others is just what you need. Another two are called "wake-lock" and "wake my android", both are experimental and do the same prevention of deep-sleep thing but in two different ways. I wouldn't advise using unless you're fairly tecchy (Which I'm not). However, I found a workaround which does the same thing and seems to have minimal drain effect, using Tasker and its add-on "secure settings" (Which gives you access to some of Android's taped-off settings without rooting the phone). It also has the added benefit of being tasker, which means you can add pretty much any behaviour you want to the task, for me I set a "quiet time" which allows the phone to return to deep sleep under certain conditions (eg for me it's between 11pm and 7am, when I don't want to be woken anyway, or you could make it when it's charging, idk). All my texts will come through at 7am. Anywhoo you just install tasker and secure settings and make a profile called "prevent deepsleep" and then go to "state" and into the secure settings plugin, and select "wake phone" and change it to "CPU awake only" and change the timeout to "manual - on". Bingo. A warning underneath says that this setting can cause battery drain but hey - you take the good with the bad. Your phone should now get texts through all the time which wake the screen. Feel free to play around and add another action/context to the profile. Cool beans! #hopethishelps #like&subscribe #hashtagsrgay

Last edited:

Lizziekinz

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I have this (actually I have the better version called LockerPro, which is by the same developers but they messed up Slidelocker with the latest update, take it from me, gargh, use this one and pay for the extras, it's worth it) but if your phone's in deep sleep then the incoming notifications won't wake it and you'll get all your messages when you press the power button to wake it. I think some apps have permissions to wake the phone from deepsleep (like your email, probably the built in messenger) but things like viber, snapchat, and any third-party messaging apps etc will probably not wake the screen. Annoying, huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201