Info on HTC ONE Dev Edition for a newbie

GeekOneX

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
i had ordered one HTC ONE unlocked 32GB on 3rd May and its still showing the status as 'back ordered' and next shipping date keeps on changing, as of today its showing as 5/23. I desperately want ONE and going impatient every day. its making me to look towards Dev edition HTC ONE which is in store.. Apart from communication, my primary phone consumption is browsing, entertainment and games.. i dont root the phone and will be happy with default phone settings.. but since i dont have any knowledge about a DEV EDITION, want to know few details..
1) if you are not gonna root the phone what is the advantage of a Dev edition over unlocked version,?? apart from additional 32 GB, does it have any other advantage like getting regular android updates quicker and something like that ??
2) is rooting mandatory to use as a normal phone for any carrier ?? even without rooting will it work like an unlocked phone ??
3) what are the disadvantages of Dev edition HTC ONE over unlocked version ??
4) what are the differences between an unlocked version and a dev edition HTC ONE ??
5) i read somewhere that all dev editions are made for ATT and hence can not be used under T-Mobile high speed networks, is it true ??
4) is spending additional $80 (ie $650) is worth on the Dev edition HTC ONE ??
Kindly let me know the answers so that i can decide and get ONE soon.. Thanks in advance

Jakiro201

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
As far as i know, the Dev edition has an unlocked bootloader. That means it will be easier for you to root since rooting requires unlocking bootloader.

aaronlam

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the Dev edition... first Android phone.

I think you might be confused... as I was on two different things. Unlocked bootlader let's you load custom ROMs. Rooting gives you access to the root directory. As far as I can tell, most loading custom ROM's involve rooting so they kind of go hand and hand... AFAIK.

1) if you are not gonna root the phone what is the advantage of a Dev edition over unlocked version,?? apart from additional 32 GB, does it have any other advantage like getting regular android updates quicker and something like that ??
It's not the root. It's the unlocked bootloader. But seems like people can unlock the bootloader on all version so none.

2) is rooting mandatory to use as a normal phone for any carrier ?? even without rooting will it work like an unlocked phone ??
No not mandatory. If you leave it alone, it will be just an unlocked phone.

none.

4) what are the differences between an unlocked version and a dev edition HTC ONE ??
Dev ed has an unlocked bootloader. And more memory.

5) i read somewhere that all dev editions are made for ATT and hence can not be used under T-Mobile high speed networks, is it true ??
Can't confirm as I don't have a T-mobile but from everything I have read... the Dev Ed has all the data antennas... minus some for Asia. So it should be fine on T-mobile. That said... this is very hazy online. I have no problem getting on AT&T LTE for what it's worth.

For me, yeah... it's nice having that extra memory... can store ROM's and Nandroids right on my phone. If you don't care about that... you can store a ton of movies for the awesome screen and music.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Aaronlam already provide some great info so I'll just chime in on the one area he was not certain about:

A forum member over at another tech forum is using a Dev edition on TMobile and had the same concerns. Long story short, the Dev edition works on TMobile's LTE and standard HSPA but not their HSPA+ bands.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Aaronlam already provide some great info so I'll just chime in on the one area he was not certain about:

A forum member over at another tech forum is using a Dev edition on TMobile and had the same concerns. Long story short, the Dev edition works on TMobile's LTE and standard HSPA but not their HSPA+ bands.

It will however work on refarmed HSPA+ areas. Tmobile is in the middle of a project to move their spectrum around a bit and use the same bands AT&T tends to use. So if they have refarmed your area, you will be okay. If they have not, your phone will not have HSPA+ speeds. But both LTE and the reframing project should be much farther along by the end of the year so this is is only a temporary drawback with the Developer edition. I suggest poking around the Tmobile section on this website. There's some info about the reframing project and there's even a site to show you if the towers around you have been refarmed or not. (sorry don't have a link or remember the name off the top of my head).

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the dev edition running on att. I saved money by buying from htc since I was not eligible for an upgrade and htc doesn't tax and you're not paying an activation fee either (I never pay that any way). Plus I didn't want att bloatware or their ugly browser bar and no att branding. Also you get updates much faster (confirmed by HTC) since you don't have to wait for att or any other service to put them through when purchased through a carrier. They come directly from HTC. Otherwise no difference besides an Unlocked sim, bootloader, no ugly carrier branding on the rear and 64gb of memory, and developer options (if used) Lastly if it matters to you the Dev edition resale value will definitely be higher when selling on ebay. It is limited and eventually will be discontinued. It's a great phone. Every app works, and everything works as intended.

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The Dev edition works on T-Mobile's LTE in Silicon Valley.

If you're willing to pay the price difference for the higher capacity so you get it sooner, definitely do it.

dbw1

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Any Canadians using a dev htc one on Rogers? I'd like to have the additional memory plus when in the USA be able to use it on a carrier month to month. Any Cdns get hold of an unlocked one from htc? I'm an Iphone user considering the jump to android and the htc one.
Thanks.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Even though HTC site says they have it in stock, apparently they are backordered until next month. I've had mine in "picking" status since last Monday. I called yesterday to find out what the deal was and the lady said they are backordered. Maybe she was wrong or the site is wrong, worth a shot.

I ended up canceling my order and just thinking of picking one up from AT&T.

GeekOneX

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Even though HTC site says they have it in stock, apparently they are backordered until next month. I've had mine in "picking" status since last Monday. I called yesterday to find out what the deal was and the lady said they are backordered. Maybe she was wrong or the site is wrong, worth a shot.

I ended up canceling my order and just thinking of picking one up from AT&T.

i ordered unlocked first on april 12th, which was cancelled by itself.. ordered again on 3rd may and shipping date was shown as 31st may.. so i upgraded to Dev edition on yesterday and its in PICKING status with shipping day as Monday.. will wait till wednesday and if its not shipped i will cancel the order.. and say bye bye HTC ONE for poor service..

GeekOneX

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the Dev edition... first Android phone.

I think you might be confused... as I was on two different things. Unlocked bootlader let's you load custom ROMs. Rooting gives you access to the root directory. As far as I can tell, most loading custom ROM's involve rooting so they kind of go hand and hand... AFAIK.

It's not the root. It's the unlocked bootloader. But seems like people can unlock the bootloader on all version so none.

No not mandatory. If you leave it alone, it will be just an unlocked phone.

none.

Dev ed has an unlocked bootloader. And more memory.

Can't confirm as I don't have a T-mobile but from everything I have read... the Dev Ed has all the data antennas... minus some for Asia. So it should be fine on T-mobile. That said... this is very hazy online. I have no problem getting on AT&T LTE for what it's worth.

For me, yeah... it's nice having that extra memory... can store ROM's and Nandroids right on my phone. If you don't care about that... you can store a ton of movies for the awesome screen and music.

Very good write up.. covered all the points.. i ordered as soon as i saw your reply, hope this one will not make me wait till eternity.. :(

GeekOneX

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the dev edition running on att. I saved money by buying from htc since I was not eligible for an upgrade and htc doesn't tax and you're not paying an activation fee either (I never pay that any way). Plus I didn't want att bloatware or their ugly browser bar and no att branding. Also you get updates much faster (confirmed by HTC) since you don't have to wait for att or any other service to put them through when purchased through a carrier. They come directly from HTC. Otherwise no difference besides an Unlocked sim, bootloader, no ugly carrier branding on the rear and 64gb of memory, and developer options (if used) Lastly if it matters to you the Dev edition resale value will definitely be higher when selling on ebay. It is limited and eventually will be discontinued. It's a great phone. Every app works, and everything works as intended.

Thanks much !! i dont know how to root and other things, just wanted to have HTC ONE soon.. but all your points are making my order worth.. wish i will have it soon and explore the beautiful phone n features.. reselling price at ebay is something to remember :)

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Guys it's common for it to change the date of shipment. It's an issue with letstalk not htc and it did that to me for 4 days and then was overnighted to my home with out me asking or paying for it. Be patient. Who wants att branding and bloatware.

Posted via My Developer's Edition HTC one

GeekOneX

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Guys it's common for it to change the date of shipment. It's an issue with letstalk not htc and it did that to me for 4 days and then was overnighted to my home with out me asking or paying for it. Be patient. Who wants att branding and bloatware.

Posted via My Developer's Edition HTC one

today i spoke with customer care.. they told that if your order is not shipped by 13th may ie on monday then it will be back ordered till next month :( thats really really a very long wait :(

Schnitter

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Instead of opening another thread, I thought I'd ask here...

1) Does flashing another ROM to the DEV edition void your warranty? (I know rooting voids warranty, but since Dev is unlocked already...)
2) If you flash your phone, is there any way to flash the original back so the initial flashing is untraceable?
3) What if I want to go back to original HTC One Sense 5, where can I download that ROM or do I have to make a backup of mine? (in that case, how do I make a backup of it?)

I never owned any Android because looks on a device is very important to me, so I stuck with Jailbroken iPhones. Superficial, I know, but at last there is a phone that has a better design (in my eyes) than any iPhone so I bought the Dev Edition.

Thanks for input.

theween04

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
The developer edition is now officially listed as backordered on HTC's website. My order from a week and a half ago still says picking. Hopefully I get a delivery notice today.

Posted via Android Central App

theween04

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the dev edition get updates faster since there is no carrier to go through?

Yes the dev edition and the unlocked version will both get updates quicker because there is no carrier interference. Now it's just a matter of getting one since they are both currently backordered.

Posted via Android Central App

GeekOneX

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
here it goes.. my order status is changing on daily basis to 'shipping today' and roll over to the next day with same message.. its really very annoying, even though the customer care people tell that it may be shipped today or on 31st May, they are also not sure..
i dont want to go for any contract or carrier phone.. so just want to know, is this phone really worth enough to wait till June 2013 ?? since there are already news of Google Galaxy and iPhone new model being released in June, please guide me.. the wait is really worth for HTC ONE ??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe1335