Instant Firmware Update Using Samsung Kies

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Also you can get the vanilla look by going to settings, apps, all, go down to twlauncher and clear default. When you hit the home key you can switch back and forth or set twlauncher as default.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

burrrton

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Is the new ics worth updating to? Or should I be thankful i'm still running gingerbread?

If you value your battery life, stay with GB. I used to get at least a day and a half of average use (some gaming, a lot of texts, some websurfing, etc) on GB- with FH13 doing virtually *nothing* today, I got 15 hours and it was beeping at me to shut it down or plug it in.

I did just install it last night, so maybe there was some metric @ssload of caching going on (I don't know- I'm guessing trying to give it the benefit of the doubt), but sheesh.

Otherwise, the FH13 build I'm running is rock-stable for everything I've done (including BT, GPS, etc).

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I did the update via kies last night. Took about an hour, including the kies install.

Everything is working fine.

Does kies do a good job for backup/restore?

mikefour77

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I did the update via kies last night. Took about an hour, including the kies install.

Everything is working fine.

Does kies do a good job for backup/restore?

I recently used Kies to update and used it to backup and restore my call logs and text messages. Worked just fine.

My only piece of advice: I tried to backup pictures and videos using Kies and it took FOREVER..... so long in fact, that I cancelled and actually used the Kies Air app to download my pictures and videos to my computer and that took all of five minutes.

On a side note, FH13 seems much snappier to me and battery life, while not as good as GB, seems to be improved. I need to give it a few cycles to settle in, but so far I got 12 hours and that was while getting my phone set back up after a factory reset.

Last edited:

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I have another related question. If I do a reset on my phone, can I selectively restore stuff with kies, like angry birds progress? Or is it all or nothing?

mikefour77

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I have another related question. If I do a reset on my phone, can I selectively restore stuff with kies, like angry birds progress? Or is it all or nothing?

To my knowledge, Kies doesn't save any apps or their data when you do a backup. Or at least, it didn't seem to be an option for me.

Having said that, since a factory reset does not erase an external SD card, it would seem that if you store your app data on an external SD card it should remain, therefore, when you reload the app after the reset, it should be there for you to access.

But I have to admit upfront, this is a bit above my realm of expertise. Any great minds out there confirm or deny my logic?

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Finally did the update to FH13 via Kies. I did a factory reset after the update was done. Only time will tell if the battery life is better or worse. :'( I did notice the 3G/4G was a bit slower than before. I'm hoping for the best!;)

Solara19

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
So, I just noticed that since I've done this update that my Gmail no longer syncs on a regular basis. I have to manually go into the Gmail app and hit the refresh icon to get my new e-mail. Didn't see an option in the settings menu of the Gmail app to set up a sync schedule. What am I missing here?

edit: Nevermind - found the setting in the Gmail settings menu.

Last edited: