Instant Screen Lock

dling71

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I am experiencing the Watch 5 Pro screen locking instantly after I stop engaging with the watch. I then have to enter my screen lock pattern every time I want to do anything with the watch.

It is super annoying. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is the watch properly fitted around your wrist with nothing blocking the biosensor? If the watch thinks you're not wearing it (which can happen if it's too loose) it will ask for the security pin/pattern every time.

dling71

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the information, SpookDroid. I did go ahead and tighten it quite a bit and it seems to have calmed down on the repeated lock outs. Just have to get used to it being a bit snug.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Some people are reporting that the new curve and bands are a little awkward to get used to, so that may be why it feels weird to get it right. You might try a different band, maybe?

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have had this issue, to resolve it I had to reset up my pin. Seems to stop it, until it doesn't. Lol. At least it fixes it throughout the day. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I experienced this this morning for the first time after it was on the charger overnight. Had to use my pin to unlock. What gives? More importantly how do I fix this?

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I experienced this this morning for the first time after it was on the charger overnight. Had to use my pin to unlock. What gives? More importantly how do I fix this?

If I'm understanding, this is the way it's supposed to behave. If you have a PIN or pattern lock, it will ask for that every time the screen turns off unless you are wearing it.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
If I'm understanding, this is the way it's supposed to behave. If you have a PIN or pattern lock, it will ask for that every time the screen turns off unless you are wearing it.

I have a pin for my Samsung Pay I have to enter a pin once only when I first put it on was like that on the 4.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
If you set up Samsung pay or Google pay then the watch requires you to use a pin everytime you put your watch on your wrist. If you didn't set up either of those pay apps then you could probably get rid of the pin in settings-security.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a pin for my Samsung Pay I have to enter a pin once only when I first put it on was like that on the 4.

I have to enter a pin once when I first put my watch on. Then, when I use Samsung Pay, it does not require me to enter a PIN. I simply open Pay, hold down the BACK key for one second, and it's ready for use.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Problem the OP and rjack22 are having, however, is that the watch is asking for the PIN EVERY TIME (even when wearing the watch). As you mentioned, this prompt should be only once after strapping the watch to your wrist and not prompt again until you take it off.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Problem the OP and rjack22 are having, however, is that the watch is asking for the PIN EVERY TIME (even when wearing the watch). As you mentioned, this prompt should be only once after strapping the watch to your wrist and not prompt again until you take it off.

The op problem was fixed by you suggesting the watch wasn't snug enough. As for rjack22, that's not at all what she said. She said she had to use the pin to unlock it after it was on the charger all night. I don't see where she mentioned that she had to unlock it each time?

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
We are wearing it when we get asked for the pin.

I will say since I redid my pin it hasn't acted up on me since

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that is correct. I only have to unlock it once upon putting it on in the morning. I didn't know why this was suddenly happening until I read on this thread about Samsung Pay. I did just activate Samsung Pay on my watch. Didn't activate it on the old watch so I didn't realize the pin request would now pop up. All is good.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
M y Samsung Pay worked once on my new watch after a couple tries but at work and one other place it quit working I get error message. I'm using it as a credit it\s an AMEX but yesterday it said it wanted last 4 numbers than it said show your card to cashier and I didn't have it on me. It was working fine finally on my old watch.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
M y Samsung Pay worked once on my new watch after a couple tries but at work and one other place it quit working I get error message. I'm using it as a credit it\s an AMEX but yesterday it said it wanted last 4 numbers than it said show your card to cashier and I didn't have it on me. It was working fine finally on my old watch.
I use Amex almost exclusively with my watch 5 pro and I'm not having any of the issues you describe.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Those are usually 'errors' on the terminal side (i.e. cashier). IF it does ask you for the 4 numbers, you do get those in Samsung Pay as well (since it's using a virtual number and not your actual card number). It'll show as "Digital Card Number" in Samsung Wallet

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Those are usually 'errors' on the terminal side (i.e. cashier). IF it does ask you for the 4 numbers, you do get those in Samsung Pay as well (since it's using a virtual number and not your actual card number). It'll show as "Digital Card Number" in Samsung Wallet

It happened to me on my phone once when my watch 4 didn't work I tried my phone. It showed 4 numbers but I wasn't sure if it wanted what it showed on my screen or the last 4 of my card. But at my work my old watch worked we can also scan our name badge and it gets deducted out of our pay but it was down for a bit so I had been using my watch in the cafeteria.