Insurance/Protection - Verizon vs Best Buy

mysterx

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I did a quick search and I didn't see any recent discussions on this topic. I'm asking for your advice.

It seems as though the arrival of the GN is finally approaching, and now I need to make a critical decision. Where should I buy - Verizon or Best Buy or somewhere else? My GN won't be sporting a case (maybe a screen protector), so I'll be getting an insurance plan. I'm interested in opinions and experiences utilizing your protection plan. I know Best Buy charges a bit more per month, but is it worth it? Does one plan offer more coverage than the other?

Thanks in advance!

-me

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Differences that i know of:

VZW:
-9.99 smartphone insurance
-covers anything. even loss
-deductable is 160. last i heard. It has gone up with iphone.(someone correct me if i'm wrong-with accurate info plz. Not rumors)
-get a new or refirb phone shipped to you

BB:
-10/month
-not sure if loss is covered
-they either give you a loaner phone or you go without while yours is repaired
-not sure of deductable

I'm going with neither. Probably this: 1 Year Phone Insurance- Smartphone

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
BestBuy has the better insurance plan. You don't have to pay a deductible or wait for anyone to send you a phone. You can go right into the store and get a replacement on the spot.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the correction. I knew someone that had to wait for theirs. Maybe they didn't have any in stock.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
You might want to take a look at squaretrade.com. They also have a 30% off coupon code offered. Typically much less than VZW.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

mysterx

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Great info everyone, thanks! I'm leaning towards BB because I've heard good things about their 'black tie' protection in the past. Although, some of the rumors would lead us to believe BB isn't getting the GN until the 11th. Plus, the big red corporate store in my town closed recently. It converted to a big red reseller, not sure how they operate with regard to insurance plans. <shrug>

-me

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
BestBuy has the better insurance plan. You don't have to pay a deductible or wait for anyone to send you a phone. You can go right into the store and get a replacement on the spot.

We don't give a replacement instantly, you will receive a temporary loaner and your phone will be in 3-5 business days, we do not cover lost or stolen!

Via Bolt

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Differences that i know of:

VZW:
-9.99 smartphone insurance
-covers anything. even loss
-deductable is 160. last i heard. It has gone up with iphone.(someone correct me if i'm wrong-with accurate info plz. Not rumors)
-get a new or refirb phone shipped to you

I believe I was quoted $6.99/month for insurance through VZW. I don't remember the deductible amount but $160 may be about right. I'm too lazy to call them to verify right now...

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
From what I read, only iPhones are higher.
There is insurance protection and total equipment protection, which extends the warranty and also covers lost accessories. The insurance is about $6 a month and total equipment coverage is around $10. Last I heard, insurance co-pays were $99.
I am going to check my statement now that there's all this debate on this issue just to be sure.

420board

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Square trade is the only warranty I will ever purchase. EVER! Do not fall for the scam at vzw or best buy geeksquad, sqaretrade is the best and most reputable in the biz

eljoker

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Verizon which is actully Asurion, is 6.99 a month and 89 for the deductible, iphones are 10.99 and 159 for dedcutible.

Ill be going with Protectcell because its $70 for the year and, $70 for the deductible, new phone no questions asked.

Asurion likes to do Refurbs,

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Verizon which is actully Asurion, is 6.99 a month and 89 for the deductible, iphones are 10.99 and 159 for dedcutible.

Asurion likes to do Refurbs,
I just checked Verizon's website and my bill.

For non-iPhones:
$5.18 per month per covered device.
$99 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.

I believe they lowered the monthly payment and upped the deductible about a year ago.

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to get some more info, but I've learned that Verizon's insurance is $6.99 a month with a $99 deductable. It covers everything, but I still need to find out if you get a new phone or only a refurbished one. Now for BB, I would stay far away. I've been reading many, many bad things about their service and people are calling it a scam because of how displeased they are with it.

moondrius

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Best Buys insurance looks good but when you read into it they can deny any claim. If they feel that the damage is extreme or intentional they will not honor the claim.

5h4un360

May 11, 2011
Visit site
BestBuy Black Tie Protection:

9.99 /mo for smartphones
-Covers everything EXCEPT lost or stolen, and Submerged in water.
-Unlimited claims
-Zero deductibles
-Loaner phones cost $50 as a deposit
-Can bring in your phone to any BestBuy Store

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

JustinTiburon#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I used to work at BB. The black tie is good and you have the option to always renew when black tie is about to expire. With vz they always send refurbished phones atleast when I've asked that's what they said they said if I didn't want a refurbished then I would need to upgrade..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teneika lee