Interesting (maybe not?) discovery for refresh

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Preamble: This works on other Samsung devices with adaptive refresh.

I use 80% charge cap in settings and have no issues reaching the end of the day with battery left but strive for more. Outside of setting up Sleep and Deep Sleep apps, I've also created a routine to force apps I don't need at 120hz to 60hz. It works flawlessly.
What I wasn't expecting is that 60hz refresh, either due to the routine or just how Samsung handles it, is actually adaptive as well.

Just like how adaptive pulses between 24hz and 120hz, Standard will pulse between 24hz and 60hz. So standard is actually adaptive as well. I was expecting it to be a steady 60hz but I guess not.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I just leave mine on 60. The difference in day-to-day communications use is negligible at best! YMMV
Certainly an option and is personal preference but my eyes are sensitive to refresh rates.

Games for example, I can't play 60fps, needs to at least be around 90-100 minimum.

Same with apps I use, 60 just looks wrong.

I am curious why you say it's negligible yet use 60 instead of 120

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Certainly an option and is personal preference but my eyes are sensitive to refresh rates.

Games for example, I can't play 60fps, needs to at least be around 90-100 minimum.

Same with apps I use, 60 just looks wrong.

I am curious why you say it's negligible yet use 60 instead of 120
I ran a Windows/VMware Enterprise for many years. Just because a computer "can" do something doesn't mean is "should"! The best way to run any computer is as efficiently as possible without compromising it's ability to perform the stated purpose of the apps running on it! I leave it on 60 so as not to tax the SOC/GPU unnecessarily! Since 120 only helps with games, which I do NOT play on an expensive tool, and otherwise it offers nothing of any value, while inevitably causing the battery to discharge prematurely thereby causing it to degrade faster than necessary...there is simply no reason to use 120! The same goes for using a lower resolution other than what is available! YMMV

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Stanley Kubrick: I ran a Windows/VMware Enterprise for many years. Just because a computer "can" do something doesn't mean is "should"! The best way to run any computer is as efficiently as possible without compromising it's ability to perform the stated purpose of the apps running on it! I leave it on 60 so as not to tax the SOC/GPU unnecessarily! Since 120 only helps with games, which I do NOT play on an expensive tool, and otherwise it offers nothing of any value, while inevitably causing the battery to discharge prematurely thereby causing it to degrade faster than necessary...there is simply no reason to use 120! The same goes for using a lower resolution other than what is available! YMMV

That philosophy is very skewed and flawed but we can go PM about that. Want to keep this thread on topic if anyone has questions.

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Since adaptive 120hz been available I've always set it on that just feels better, didn't know 60hz was adaptive also thought it was fixed.
I expected Adaptive to be, well more Adaptive, not just alternating between to framerates.i thought maybe at idle 24hz, Active 120hz and maybe active but no interaction 60hz.

Thats really why I went down this PATH. 120 absolutely feels better but things like contacts or ebooks, or similar don't need to be 120hz (IMO). Also in brief testing it seemed like it stayed at 24hz when not being used more on standard as opposed to Adaptive but again that bit was not throughly tested.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I expected Adaptive to be, well more Adaptive, not just alternating between to framerates.i thought maybe at idle 24hz, Active 120hz and maybe active but no interaction 60hz.

Thats really why I went down this PATH. 120 absolutely feels better but things like contacts or ebooks, or similar don't need to be 120hz (IMO). Also in brief testing it seemed like it stayed at 24hz when not being used more on standard as opposed to Adaptive but again that bit was not throughly tested.
You using developer settings to see the adaptive 120hz change or an app?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I just use "adaptive" motion smoothness which goes up to the full 120 Hz refresh rate along with 30 second screen timeout unless I'm looking at the screen, then the screen stays on. I also use adaptive brightness, QHD+ resolution. I kept my S22 Ultra for two years with no battery issues, so I have no reason to be concerned about battery on a device with better processor that's third generation instead of first generation.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I ran a Windows/VMware Enterprise for many years. Just because a computer "can" do something doesn't mean is "should"! The best way to run any computer is as efficiently as possible without compromising it's ability to perform the stated purpose of the apps running on it! I leave it on 60 so as not to tax the SOC/GPU unnecessarily! Since 120 only helps with games, which I do NOT play on an expensive tool, and otherwise it offers nothing of any value, while inevitably causing the battery to discharge prematurely thereby causing it to degrade faster than necessary...there is simply no reason to use 120! The same goes for using a lower resolution other than what is available! YMMV

Sorry but the fact that you ran a Windows/VMware Enterprise has no bearing on how a cell phone runs, totally different platforms. I am currently in that role and have so for the past 40 years. The software was developed on these phones to be ran this way as so is the hardware. If you choose, for whatever reason, to only run it at 60 hz then that is your business, but to say that there is no reason because you say so is pure hog wash.
Stop with the battery nonsense as it is simply not true.
Your acting like by running it at 120hz your over clocking the CPU or GPU to make it run in a away it wasn't designed to and that is also not true. It's the same concept as a TV screen running at 120 or even 240hz. The displays are designed to run it that way.
Also stop with the dramatic "!" and the CAPS on your emphasis as that doesn't make what you are saying anymore true either.

Just use the device as intended or however you like and relax and enjoy.

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but the fact that you ran a Windows/VMware Enterprise has no bearing on how a cell phone runs, totally different platforms. I am currently in that role and have so for the past 40 years. The software was developed on these phones to be ran this way as so is the hardware. If you choose, for whatever reason, to only run it at 60 hz then that is your business, but to say that there is no reason because you say so is pure hog wash.
Stop with the battery nonsense as it is simply not true.
Your acting like by running it at 120hz your over clocking the CPU or GPU to make it run in a away it wasn't designed to and that is also not true. It's the same concept as a TV screen running at 120 or even 240hz. The displays are designed to run it that way.
Also stop with the dramatic "!" and the CAPS on your emphasis as that doesn't make what you are saying anymore true either.

Just use the device as intended or however you like and relax and enjoy.
Saved me a PM. And don't respond to the post he just made. Moderators have been notified.

I just use "adaptive" motion smoothness which goes up to the full 120 Hz refresh rate along with 30 second screen timeout unless I'm looking at the screen, then the screen stays on. I also use adaptive brightness, QHD+ resolution. I kept my S22 Ultra for two years with no battery issues, so I have no reason to be concerned about battery on a device with better processor that's third generation instead of first generation.

As I mentioned. This has no impact on battery health nor is that the goal. It's the pursuit of more battery life per day, not because I need it but, well, why not? Android, customization and and do what you want.

Right now I'm at about 10-14% more per day which is significant.

You using developer settings to see the adaptive 120hz change or an app?
Yes, developer options.
I used to use a app which is now gone and all the ones on the PlayStore are sketch looking. Plus I recall reading that all they do is read from the dev options now. If any of them are actually counting each frame Real-time they will need Accessibility turned on and therby also have the ability to record and steal every frame it's "counting".

Last edited: