International Unlocked phone in US???

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
One thing I have ALWAYS wondered but never could find anything when searching.

I always use unlocked phones to go to whatever carrier I want.

Is it the same thing if I bought a International version of a phone on Amazon ect and use it the same way as long as it has all the bands necessary?

If so, I can seriously purchase phones quicker because there always out first to buy.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
All I can say on this is it depends on the area you're in, the brand and the region the phone is from. It sounds like you're in the US so phones from China are a no go. They special restrictions that make them near useless to the rest of the world. As for Samsung I watched a video for the S20 where the phone was still branded 5G but was an Exynos version that had no 5G antenna. Speaking of Exynos, it's my understanding that no carrier in the US has firmware for those models. Some features don't work when removed from their intended region. There was question out of Canada about Samsung pay not working on an international phone.

Too many variables and chances for me but I suppose if you researched it right you might find one.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
All I can say on this is it depends on the area you're in, the brand and the region the phone is from. It sounds like you're in the US so phones from China are a no go. They special restrictions that make them near useless to the rest of the world. As for Samsung I watched a video for the S20 where the phone was still branded 5G but was an Exynos version that had no 5G antenna. Speaking of Exynos, it's my understanding that no carrier in the US has firmware for those models. Some features don't work when removed from their intended region. There was question out of Canada about Samsung pay not working on an international phone.

Too many variables and chances for me but I suppose if you researched it right you might find one.
Oh wow. See this is why I ask. Too many variables to trust that it will be 100% okay and work lol. I appreciate your response and help. I'll definitely keep waiting and just buy the US models.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh wow. See this is why I ask. Too many variables to trust that it will be 100% okay and work lol. I appreciate your response and help. I'll definitely keep waiting and just buy the US models.
I would stick with the phone from your region , you going run into some issues using from another country, for example my father brought over a international dual sim forget which Samsung to US on Tmobile and gad calls drop , no internet until he switch to a US phone , funny enough I've used US unlocked phones in Europe with no issues but still recommend a phone from that region.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I would stick with the phone from your region , you going run into some issues using from another country, for example my father brought over a international dual sim forget which Samsung to US on Tmobile and gad calls drop , no internet until he switch to a US phone , funny enough I've used US unlocked phones in Europe with no issues but still recommend a phone from that region.
Too late lol. Only version of the Samsung S20 FE is the international. I had to get it because my situation currently. I do hope I don't run into as much problems but I doubt it compared to my xiaomi which has such crap/less bands here in the states.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Too late lol. Only version of the Samsung S20 FE is the international. I had to get it because my situation currently. I do hope I don't run into as much problems but I doubt it compared to my xiaomi which has such crap/less bands here in the states.
Understand , we'll let us know how it goes!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chibisaurus