iPhone 5s vs. Samsung Galaxy S6 for 4 years?

Gustiakas

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
iPhone 5s vs. Samsung Galaxy S6 for 4 years

Hello, everyone!

I'm going to buy a new smartphone tomorrow for 3-4 years use.

I had been a Samsung fan for 5-6 years. I had the Samsung Galaxy Young (2011-2013), then I had the Galaxy Core (2014), and I exchanged my Galaxy Core with my mother for a Samsung Galaxy SII Plus (2015). All these phone have slowed down and started to lag after ONE YEAR of use. And my Galaxy SII Plus is disappointingly slow now too. Yes, I restart my phone regularly (once a week or two) and I have only about 15 apps installed. I don't use snapchat, facebook or other apps that may use loads of RAM. I only have Viber and Skype installed. Rebooting the phone slightly reduces lag, but it comes back after a day or two. BAD experience with Samsung.

I have to make a decision I will be happy with for approximately 4 years. I need to decide whether I'm buying the iPHONE 5S or the SAMSUNG GALAXY S6. I want my phone to be fast and not to lag for the mentioned period of time.

I LIKE both iOS and Android interfaces. I don't customize my Android, so customizability is not a feature for me. I want a fast and reliable phone. And I've also heard that the Samsung Galaxy S6 battery life is poor... Will it not be an issue?

Should I give a fourth change to the Samsung or buy my first ever ios device - iPhone 5s?

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I will use a case for any of these two phone. So I wouldn't break those fancy touchscreens that cost much.

Last edited:

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5s vs. Samsung Galaxy S6 for 4 years

For what it's worth, I've had the majority of the Galaxy phones and the S6 was the best of the bunch. The battery life isn't poor, its just not great. If you aren't a heavy user then you'll easily get a days battery out of it.

As for the life span of the phone, the S6 looks like it would be easier to break than the Iphone 5s due to its glass back
Secondly, I think Apple are better at keeping older devices running the latest software.

For example, my wee sister has the Iphone 4, which was released in 2010 - my Dad has the S3, released in 2012. When comparing them both, the Iphone is faster and still runs great.

If I had to choose, I'd still go for the S6 - it's newer, better, faster than the 5s (I just don't know what it would be like in 4 years time)

Have you considered any other device?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I honestly don't think either phone will hold up well after 3-4 years. The 5s will be 6 years old by the time you want to be done with it. The Galaxy S6 will be about 5 years old, which will be roughly the same age as your Galaxy S2 Plus is now. Support (as in updates) for the Galaxy will stop long before the 4 years is up. The 5s won't fare much better.

Gustiakas

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site

I haven't considered any other device. I can't afford the iPhone 6 and I haven't thought about other Androids.

OK. I'm new to this forum. Just answered The Tall Guy's question.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

OP I'm curious why you set a timeline of 3-4 years for a smartphone? That's probably setting yourself up for failure, no matter what device you decide on. imho.

As devices age without some sort of regular housekeeping, they accumulate unnecessary files. As apps mature they demand more resources from the OS and the device. As the user's operating skill improves they outgrow the device. I can't think of a single device on the market today that is future proofed 4 years out.

*Some might jump in here and say they've been using this or that device for 4 years but that's because they've adapted that device for their needs and have developed a comfort zone they're not ready to move out of. Many still use flip phones too.*

If that describes you then buy the most current device you can afford and are comfortable to use, and start saving for the next device that fulfills your needs, whenever that might be.

Gustiakas

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site

OP I'm curious why you set a timeline of 3-4 years for a smartphone? That's probably setting yourself up for failure, no matter what device you decide on. imho.

As devices age without some sort of regular housekeeping, they accumulate unnecessary files. As apps mature they demand more resources from the OS and the device. As the user's operating skill improves they outgrow the device. I can't think of a single device on the market today that is future proofed 4 years out.

*Some might jump in here and say they've been using this or that device for 4 years but that's because they've adapted that device for their needs and have developed a comfort zone they're not ready to move out of. Many still use flip phones too.*

If that describes you then buy the most current device you can afford and are comfortable to use, and start saving for the next device that fulfills your needs, whenever that might be.

Yes, there are no smartphones that are futureproofed for 4 years. But I just want to find out which will be more usable after 3 years.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

Yes, there are no smartphones that are futureproofed for 4 years. But I just want to find out which will be more usable after 3 years.

I think you're asking a question that can't be answered with conviction now. All you'll get are replies based on somebody else's past experience with older and in some cases, completely different technologies that may not apply today, or in 3 years.

Adjust your expectations a little bit.

Good luck.

Needkeys

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site

For what it's worth, I'm brand new to the S6 and, after about 10 days, I'm having zero issues with the battery. In fact, given the concerned expectations re: battery life that I had because of everything I had read, I'm beyond satisfied. I use my device as a business phone. Heavy email, moderate text, moderate web use. I don't use it for playing around -- no videos, no social media. I get more than a single day's use. Probably closer to a day and a half.

I will say, however, that the phone is a disappointment in terms of its choppiness and lack of stability. I often have to manually reboot my phone once/day. This is 100% due to problems with notifications. The notification set up on the S6 is very confusing, and there's a bug in 5.1.1 on the S6 (at least the Verizon model), that causes the phone not to vibrate when it should, that causes the LED to blink a slow/steady blue even with apps that are supposed to change it. The dismissal of notifications is also insane. You have to dismiss swipe notifications for every email you send, AND every email you receive. Swiping away a notification does not dismiss that badge notification on the app icon. Reading an email does not dismiss the swipe notification. And on and on. It's the one thing about the phone that is a colossal pain. In that sense, I'm able to handle volume email much much quicker on iOS than I am on Android simply because I don't spend so much time dismissing notifications in multiple places for a single email, or text. That may not apply to you given your intended use of the phone, but point it out just in case.

Besides the notification mess, the phone is great. It's fast, its responsive, its fun to use, the dictation input is incredible, and like I said, the battery has been absolutely fine.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

You should get the iPhone. It will work well for a longer period of time. You said you don't customize and don't use a lot of apps. The iPhone works great right out of the box and does come with apple's great customer service. I don't think either phone will make it 3-4 years but the iPhone will get you the closest.

Gustiakas

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site

You should get the iPhone. It will work well for a longer period of time. You said you don't customize and don't use a lot of apps. The iPhone works great right out of the box and does come with apple's great customer service. I don't think either phone will make it 3-4 years but the iPhone will get you the closest.

Yeah! Thanks for your answer again :) I can see that you have experienced iPhones in every way. I think I will go for the 5S. I have also spoke to mobile phone store assistant today and he suggested me to better go for the iPhone.