Is 'Fast Charging' really not that fast?

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My previous smartphone was an unlocked Moto Z that I picked up from Best Buy, and while I was enjoying it, I snagged a TurboPower 30 AC adapter for it (not knowing until after that only the Moto Z Force is able to take advantage of the 30W charging speed). Anyhow, I sold it and got the LG G6 instead, and while I'm enjoying it, I noticed it's not 'Fast Charging' with it, and not even 'Fast Charging' with the provided G6 charger and my not-cheap Anker USB-C cable. Only the USB-C cable that came with the G6 would say 'Fast Charging.'

All that being said, it still seems that it doesn't charge any faster than my Moto Z or even my iPhone 7 Plus, so am I just spoiled or expecting too much?

Amazon also sells 15W and 18W adapters for the LG, supposedly genuine, and there are even 'fast wireless chargers' from third-party companies. Has anyone got any of these, and do they 'fast charge?'

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
What wattage means bupkiss. It is a standard, does it support QC 3.0? great..get it... does it not say QC 3.0? pass it.

As for quick charge.. asking if it works is stupid, we've seen it work.. question is do you know how it works? Quick charge ups the voltage and pours power into the battery when the battery is close to empty. As the charge rises (and as does the battery temp because of the fast charge) it lowers the voltage down, slowing the charge speeds near the top. So if you are near empty you should see your first %60 fill quickly.. like 15-20 minutes, then the it slows down to normal speeds. I don't know what the timers are at 3.0 but in 2.0 you would see the battery fill in like 47 minutes.

If you are plugging it in at %80 you won't see much fast charge action. if you are using it while charging you are heating the battery quicker and thus forcing the charge to slow down.

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
My "fast charge" does not seem to be all that fast either, at least compared to my G4. And, that is using the charger than came with the phone. Tomorrow I will try the fast charger that I used with my G4 and see how that works. As for battery life, it seems good so far, but I am only on my third day!

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The batteries in the Moto Z and g4 are smaller than in the G6 so it's gonna take longer to charge. I think you might just be expecting too much. It's probably charging at the appropriate speed if it says fast charging. These systems are pretty intelligent now so they're gonna regulate how much power the phone gets as best as possible.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My previous smartphone was an unlocked Moto Z that I picked up from Best Buy, and while I was enjoying it, I snagged a TurboPower 30 AC adapter for it (not knowing until after that only the Moto Z Force is able to take advantage of the 30W charging speed). Anyhow, I sold it and got the LG G6 instead, and while I'm enjoying it, I noticed it's not 'Fast Charging' with it, and not even 'Fast Charging' with the provided G6 charger and my not-cheap Anker USB-C cable. Only the USB-C cable that came with the G6 would say 'Fast Charging.'

All that being said, it still seems that it doesn't charge any faster than my Moto Z or even my iPhone 7 Plus, so am I just spoiled or expecting too much?

Amazon also sells 15W and 18W adapters for the LG, supposedly genuine, and there are even 'fast wireless chargers' from third-party companies. Has anyone got any of these, and do they 'fast charge?'

I don't think the Moto charger is compatible.

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
The batteries in the Moto Z and g4 are smaller than in the G6 so it's gonna take longer to charge. I think you might just be expecting too much. It's probably charging at the appropriate speed if it says fast charging. These systems are pretty intelligent now so they're gonna regulate how much power the phone gets as best as possible.

Duh, what a dummy (me, that is!). Of course it will take a little bit longer with a bigger battery. Thanks for slapping my brain into gear :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals41