Is FM radio still there?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I saw the T-Mobile display unit not having the default LG FM tuner on there, however it had the Next Radio app installed instead... can anyone confirm if it has an FM radio tuner? I think the US unlocked versions will NOT have it... They never do, possibly because of some FCC regulations or something.. but usually some carrier versions include it. If you already have the V40, let us know your model and carrier and if it has it or not! FM radio is very good for emergencies and natural disasters, or at the gym you can watch TV and listen to the audio. Certain sports stadiums also have the option to listen to the commentary live in the game with the radio. It's also excellent for camping when you can't get good cell service, FM radio still works.

whammer1249

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I saw the T-Mobile display unit not having the default LG FM tuner on there, however it had the Next Radio app installed instead... can anyone confirm if it has an FM radio tuner? I think the US unlocked versions will NOT have it... They never do, possibly because of some FCC regulations or something.. but usually some carrier versions include it. If you already have the V40, let us know your model and carrier and if it has it or not! FM radio is very good for emergencies and natural disasters, or at the gym you can watch TV and listen to the audio. Certain sports stadiums also have the option to listen to the commentary live in the game with the radio. It's also excellent for camping when you can't get good cell service, FM radio still works.

I don't see the default FM tuner. However, I do have NextRadio and it works fine. I have the AT&T carrier version V40.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Next Radio works even without a FM chip, just works by streaming instead. So just because you have it and it works does not mean you have an active FM chip.

whammer1249

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Next Radio works even without a FM chip, just works by streaming instead. So just because you have it and it works does not mean you have an active FM chip.

It appears it can do both. With my AT&T V40, it is using the FM tuner..."In FM Mode, NextRadio uses a wi-fi or cellular data connection to download album art and other enhanced content, but gets audio via the station's FM broadcast. If you do not have an Internet connection, you can still listen to the radio, but you won't get enhanced content. This allows you to receive potentially life-saving information in an emergency when data networks may be down.

In Streaming Mode, NextRadio gets audio as well as enhanced content via the Internet like other streaming "radio" apps.

Is your device FM-enabled? Visit our Supported Devices page to find out."

Mine says on the app that it is using FM mode

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Next Radio also runs offline and it will give you a notification if your device does not have an FM tuner, then switches to online mode

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It appears it can do both. With my AT&T V40, it is using the FM tuner..."In FM Mode, NextRadio uses a wi-fi or cellular data connection to download album art and other enhanced content, but gets audio via the station's FM broadcast. If you do not have an Internet connection, you can still listen to the radio, but you won't get enhanced content. This allows you to receive potentially life-saving information in an emergency when data networks may be down.

In Streaming Mode, NextRadio gets audio as well as enhanced content via the Internet like other streaming "radio" apps.

Is your device FM-enabled? Visit our Supported Devices page to find out."

Mine says on the app that it is using FM mode

Can you put your phone on airplane mode (turn off all connections including WiFi) and see if it works?

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I really don't understand how VZW works....so glad I moved many years ago. I see no reason not to include the FM radio app.

Shreyance B

Feb 4, 2019
Visit site
I have recently purchased LG V40. As per specifications mentioned on official Indian website, it has FM radio. But I can't find any pre-installed utility to open Local FM tuner. Also, I tried Next radio whose Basic tuner is not able to detect any FM radio signal. Additionally, I tried 3rd party apks to start radio but unfortunately I was not able to play FM radio. Please help!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the Tmobile V40 and launched NextRadio and the first screen said Lucky You. Your device is FM enabled so you can enjoy live, local FM radio. Just plug in some headphones (thats your antenna), and start listening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana