Is it possible to change the shattered screen of my N5 myself?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Shattered screen

I shattered the screen pretty bad on my N5 (the bottom left corner is actually missing all the glass). The phone is working and usable but ugly. I've called a few places in the area and the lowest price I got was $150 because they said the digitizer and screen need to be replaced.

1. I really don't want to have google/lg do it but will they? How long and how much does it cost?

2. Has anyone ever done this themselves? Is it doable for someone who is a bit handy?

It's not worth it for me if it's over like $75 to fix.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Shattered screen

Unfortunately its a second hand nexus

You can still contact Google for repair. Although it may not be free, they'll do it for you without having to worry about further damage. Google may be able to provide you with a general price over the phone.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I've called a few places in the area and the lowest price I got was $150 because they said the digitizer and screen need to be replaced.

It's not worth it for me if it's over like $75 to fix.

The screen and digitizer are bonded together on the more recent Nexus devices, so would both need to be replaced. Depending on how you define 'worth,' you could fund the repair and then sell it easily to cover the cost of the repair and still make a tidy profit.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

The phone is only a 16gb so if I spend 150 on a repair, I'm thinking the max profit i could make would be 50 and that might be pushing it even.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Wanted to follow-up on this thread. I ended up buying a screen/digitizer + frame assembly from Amazon for a little under $100.

I followed a video/website on changing out the broken screen and it was very easy if you have the repair kits that can be had on Amazon for a few bucks.

How to Replace the Nexus 5 Cracked Screen

I'm actually amazed at how easy it was. The hardest part was getting the battery out. I am probably going to replace the battery since I may have damaged it a bit and it's old anyways. If anyone is attempting this just know that it's easy and I can help if you have any questions!

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

I spoke too soon. The vibrate function no longer works. I don't really use it but it's annoying!