Is the all day battery just overblown?

Creedyfbaby

Aug 31, 2018
Visit site
I mean i just got a note 9 and i love it and it def gets me back home from a 12 hour work day no problem but i could see some people using it where it would not last a full day samsung is making it out to be this amazing solar powered machine that will never run out of a charge to me just to sell more devices and use it as a selling point but plenty of phones have good battery life and thats what i would call the note 9 battery just good.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely going to be different for everyone (it will last you 8-10 hours of screen-on time with just watching videos, but will probably do around 6-8 using apps or less if gaming with heavy-processing games). But this is definitely an improvement and one that lasts a while compared to previous models. Is it the best? Nope. Is it an 'all day' device for most regular users? Absolutely! Can someone use it up in less than a day? Already did. Will there be people whose phone will last for two days? Yup, just helped install a protector on one. Depends on how you use it.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Definitely like last poster said. It's very subjective to your usage patterns. Screen brightness, internet, wifi, bluetooth, syncing, screen on time, and the list goes on. I'm quite a heavy user and can go most of a work day without worry. Definitely not a full 24 hours though in my case lol.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine on Wednesday. At first it seemed like the battery life is going to be really good. Even after downloading everything and doing most of my personalized settings it held over from one day to the other. But since last night when I charged it again and used it minimally I’m already down to 66%. On my note 5 I would’ve had more battery left. It’s still a learning curve and the phone has to learn our usage as well as we have to learn its usage. So I’m hoping it gets better.

Creedyfbaby

Aug 31, 2018
Visit site
I mean i love the phone i came from an iphone 7 plus but apple never really used the battery as a selling point and the note 9 seems very much on par with what i was used to on my 7 plus both have good batteries now the difference in the screen is insane so vibrant and beautiful i love it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If your phone isn't doing great on battery life and Android OS keeps popping up on top at the battery report list, try clearing Play Services' cache. For me the first couple of days battery life was less than stellar and pretty much on par with an S9 or even less. Then I went to make sure the phone was OK in Google Device Manager in case I needed to locate it, and noticed a weird note about my account not being the primary one on the phone...which it was. I cleared that, and voila! It showed up properly in Device Manager AND my battery went from 10% an hour to 10% per 2 or 3 hours

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
there is lot of settings ...which is on by default that eats up your battery...
I advice in wifi advance setting switch off bluetooth and wifi scanning which keeps scanning in background...after u switch ot off it saves lot of battery...2nd switch of location and NFC when not needed

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It also depends a lot on usage patterns and settings. An example would be when I used my old Note 2, it lasted me barely 10hrs. When I gave it to my mom it lasts 2 days on a single charge.

The whole day battery claims are based on their research on a certain population of people. If you don't match the parameters of that research population, your results will vary.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
It do notice it being a little better than the Note 8 but not the hype Sammy did on it. I guess if you use power saving mode and don't have performance mode on and such they yea, but I'm like Flossy. I paid big bucks for this device and I'm not cutting corners to save power. I want the full benefits of the bright AMOLED screen and such.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I wouldn't call myself a "heavy" user. All I do is talk, text, listen to my music, watch occasional YouTube videos and visit forums. For my use case, standby time seems more important than actual SOT. When I used the LG V30 I had, that phone literally sipped battery, despite it being only 3300 mAh. I could go 45 minutes on a full charge before it dropped down to 99%, and that was with location on high accuracy periodically, AOD enabled, and screen resolution set to max with 25% brightness indoors.

Even in standby the AOD, it would take literally 90 minutes to drop a percentage. I wonder how that would translate on the Note 9? One thing's for sure, I just don't wanna be losing 5% an hour on standby. That would be disappointing, since I only lose no more than 2-3% overnight on my 6P.

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't call myself a "heavy" user. All I do is talk, text, listen to my music, watch occasional YouTube videos and visit forums. For my use case, standby time seems more important than actual SOT. When I used the LG V30 I had, that phone literally sipped battery, despite it being only 3300 mAh. I could go 45 minutes on a full charge before it dropped down to 99%, and that was with location on high accuracy periodically, AOD enabled, and screen resolution set to max with 25% brightness indoors.

Even in standby the AOD, it would take literally 90 minutes to drop a percentage. I wonder how that would translate on the Note 9? One thing's for sure, I just don't wanna be losing 5% an hour on standby. That would be disappointing, since I only lose no more than 2-3% overnight on my 6P.

Samsungs battery standby is garbage compared to Apple or other stock android phones. All of my Samsung phones(Note 4, S7Edge, S8+) drain during standby of at least 5% overnight. The only positive about it is the battery doesn't drain fast when actually using the phone compared to iPhones that drain quickly when using it heavily.

darbebo

Aug 18, 2018
Visit site
So I wanted to know what you guys think....my phone was approx 96% when I went to bed at like 1:30am, and I just woke up at 10am ish n battery is at 81%. So roughly a bit over 1.5% loss per hour

Is this normal?
Yes I did have always on display on.
Yes blue tooth and WiFi is on, location on

Just want to know if this is normals.

Also Yesterday it lasted me about 12 hrsfrom 100% to 1% with about close to 7 screen time. I did a good amount of YouTube and Pokemon go, and web surfing....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180831-184736_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180831-184736_Settings.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20180831-184727_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180831-184727_Settings.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 71

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
So I wanted to know what you guys think....my phone was approx 96% when I went to bed at like 1:30am, and I just woke up at 10am ish n battery is at 81%. So roughly a bit over 1.5% loss per hour

Is this normal?

Also Yesterday it lasted me about 12 hrsfrom 100% to 1% with about close to 7 screen time. I did a good amount of YouTube and Pokemon go, and web surfing....

In my experience keeping location on is a huge battery burner, unnecessarily pinging cell towers constantly to locate the phone

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

Is this normal?

This is great battery life ...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I seem to be getting same battery life as my S9+, but need a few days to see if new device background data acclimation. Android with a new device is weird like that.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Also Yesterday it lasted me about 12 hrsfrom 100% to 1%
What will be normal, if you keep draining it to 1%, is having the battery replaced. When it hits 40%, charge it or turn it off. Lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

LG uses lcd screens and at 25% you won't use as much power as speed AMOLED on full brightness. It's a trade of. You'll get shot better display at a bit of a battery cost. My note 9 is definately better than the Note 8.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Is this normal?

Very good battery life

laurmyer

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
58% at 10:58 PM and been using it all day! WAY better than the N8 for sure. I'd have upgraded just for the battery life!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BernhardDieter