is the Google pixel worth it?

Trilliumknits

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had my pixel for a couple weeks now, and have no regrets. I'm on T-Mobile and have had zero issues with connectivity. The antenna is much better than the LG G3 I came from.

I'm loving the speed, the camera, and the smaller form factor. Battery has been lasting me all day, even with Ingress and Pokemon playing. No complaints, especially since I'm getting half the price back in bill credits.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Not worth the money. The build is good, but it feels like beta testing a really expensive product. But to be fair, even beyond my connectivity problems, I discover I don't like pure android. I had to add a bunch of third party apps to get back what I feel this phone lacks in usage--music player, AOD, a better way to do screenshots (nothing beats Samsung's swipe to save). I miss a larger screen, and the camera is not nearly as good as hyped. I am not a big user of AI so I don't much care about the assistant, but if I wanted to use it, I would want to type not have to be talking to my phone on the bus or in a restaurant. I would like it better if it had been 200.00 cheaper though I would still be complaining(endlessly, right?) about the same issues.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
After using it for a few weeks now, I am totally blown away by this phone. Far exceeded all expectations and I like it more than I did when I got it. Everything works flawlessly, the camera is best-in-class, and it's by far the fastest phone I have used. Rock solid signal (I get service where I didn't previously even in my elevator), WiFi, Bluetooth, calls, etc. It even has a perfect OLED screen with regards to white uniformity, which I am extremely sensitive to. Zero issues. I have over 1,000 photos and tons of video and the quality is unmatched by any other smartphone. Purchased it outright and I now think it was a bargain.

Last edited:

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the Pixel. Was supposed to get the XL but it was an incorrect order and still on wait list for the XL. The phone is very speed and snappy and it takes photos quite fast. That said, I've encountered some serious Bluethooth issues...serious enough that I am exchanging at least one of them here at work. It connects to Bluetooth fine in users 2011 Chevy but won't make or receive calls. And he is in sales and needs this. So, I am exchanging his for a Moto Z Force Droid. And since my XL is on backorder still and the fact I've encountered some Bluetooth issues (it freezes my car system several times a week), I've taken a good hard look at the Moto X Force Droid and it looks like I may be moving to it. It doesn't feel as snappy but side by side, it opens apps just as fast if not faster than the Pixel. And the Pixel's camera hasn't been all that I've expected.

I've given both a good test...a part of me doesn't want to give up on the Pixel but considering we get the Moto Z Force Droid for over $200 less for 2 year agreement here at work it saves the company money for sure.

So as others have said, go test them out in person. Don't get me wrong...the Pixel is a fine phone but it just isn't going to work for me.

ra535i

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
If you're on T-mobile and on the t-mobile one plan they'll pay off $325 for you over the course of two years in credit. Not to mention wifi calling support. the phone is 500% worth it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you're on T-mobile and on the t-mobile one plan they'll pay off $325 for you over the course of two years in credit. Not to mention wifi calling support. the phone is 500% worth it.
This works for people also not on the T-Mobile One plan as well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's a heck of a deal. Verizon's black friday sale is even more nuts. Pixel XL 32GB for $240 and 128 GB for $350.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
My Pixel XL is smaller than the S7 Edge I had with required (edge screen touches) case on it.

That being said, it's the best phone I've ever owned in recent times. (RAZR Maxx, LG G3, S7 Edge)

The biggest plus for me is the fact that the bootloader is unlockable and it has pure android and lots of people developing custom firmwares and hacks. This is unheard of on Verizon, so I am quite happy.

Last edited:

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah that's a heck of a deal. Verizon's black friday sale is even more nuts. Pixel XL 32GB for $240 and 128 GB for $350.

Do you know if that would be for a new line only? Or if I'm an existing customer and keep my same line?

johnnieeve

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I have owned 4 different Note phones and needless to say, I have been a loyal Verizon/Samsung customer for quite some time. The N7 was a phone I could have owned for a long time. And then came the recall.
I'm not an i-phone person, so what to do? Maybe go back to the Note 5? Other brands didn't impress me so not many options.
Enter the Google Pixel XL .Absent the stylist, Pixel XL specs were similar as was the size. So, I ordered the XL, Silver with 128 gb online, through Verizon and received the unit one day before Verizon release.
This is one fine phone. Sure, it may not work for everyone, no one phone does. But, I consider myself a slightly above average user and this puppy shines. I don't feel like a beta tester. This phone is fast, wonderful graphics ,tons of storage, camera is very good.
I still miss my N7 Stylist, however, Google has made a strong argument for staying with the Pixel.
See for yourself.

bigpapa7272

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Only problem is Verizon is not shipping xls til next year if you order now,. I wouldn't be surprised if its not February after all the lies and bs about ship dates

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Only problem is Verizon is not shipping xls til next year if you order now,. I wouldn't be surprised if its not February after all the lies and bs about ship dates

Yeah I called yesterday and was on hold for over an hr. Today I called and they said deal was for yesterday only and expect there to be delays beyond the 6th.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
On Thursday I ordered two more from Verizon and one from Best Buy. The best buy one arrived today (Saturday). Verizon days ships next Friday.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's worth it to be honest. I just returned the xl. They're alot to like about this device.

Since the service is considerably high I also have to hold the device to higher standard. I didn't like the design of the device as it was very meh. The glass on the back looks random and for me it's out of place. I didn't like the feel of the fingerprint scanner especially if my hands were not as clean. I felt that smudge feel.

Google assistant is a key feature of the device. While it has alot of potential, it's not there yet.

I also keep feeling Google is going to hit a home run on the next release. Iam really looking forward to the next pixel and it'll be my next device.

BeekC

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
No!! I have had audio issues since day1...this includes very poor quality speakers and the fact the Bluetooth won't connect in my Subaru Outback. At the very least, check the forum to make sure the phone will work with your make and model. The Bluetooth currently only works with certain vehicles.