Is the Nexus Prime suppose to be better than the Bionic?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You got that right, sometimes people do have expectations that are out of this world. This isnt a dumbphone that you can get 3 days out of a Charge.

That being said, having it last on 4-5 hours on a charge is unacceptable. My Fascinate had pretty horrible battery life OTB. I carried 3 batteries and a charger all the time. My Charge gets me through the day plus more. For example, and this is typical, I have been off the charger now for about 8 hours and still have 52% left in the tank. Now I used it a bit less today because I am sick, but I get around 14-15 hours.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a Thunderbolt and can't wait for the Prime! A Nexus phone will actually be updated quick unlike other phones. ICS and dual-core with an AWESOME display? SOLD!!!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Put it up against a Charge or any other Samsung phone with amoled or SAmoled and you will see it plain as day.

Not to break your heart, but I have, and when zooming out guess which display becomes pixelated and text becomes unreadable first? Yep, those pretty Amoleds. The only display that isn't visually flawed is. Retina. That is it. All other displays have visible weaknesses. Sorry man.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
So many talk about the next OS is suppose to improve battery life but we never see it.. If we had the increase of battery life and performance advertised with the Froyo and Gingerbread OS alone should have all devices seeing 2 days of charge with heavy use but we don't because the OS spread sheets are simply marketing numbers...

You can not double the devices power and add a 4g radio (Battery Hog by itself) and then place a high resolution screen in play and then believe that the power use will go down. Not going to happen.

Also I really don't see any thing that is being ran on a phone requiring that much power anyway...

Time to come to earth, its a phone first and a gadget second and not reverse.. Don't get a device and run all these high end application and then complain about battery life, a laptop only works for a few hours on battery power and the level of power in these phones are running close but we want a day or two of power out of them... Once again, Not Going to Happen.

I am with you on this and have posted this same sort of thing. People have blinders about new phones they want, it's just the way it is.

You either need a giant battery, new batter technology or something like Nvidia is trying to do with the Kal-el fifth core. Of course the fifth core won't help if you are power using the phone all day.

The other thing is that with better, bigger screens, better network and processor speeds...we are using the phone a lot more. My bionic gets more use than my OG Droid due to 4g and dual core making it much more convenient to use.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I got a bionic, but I expect the nexus to be a better device. Also, people making a big deal about the screen probably have never used a bionic. I think the screen is of a good quality and it looks great. You can tell the pixels only if you have a magnifying glass our if you are specifically looking for them. Otherwise, you cannot. I just hope the prime is released in the next 3 Weeks. Best Buy has a 30 day exchange policy. 14 day return. I am not the buy and exchange kind of guy, but I was kinda forced to upgrade since my last phone was freezing on me consistently. I was originally going to wait for the prime. And since best buy had it at $229, I figured I would give the bionic a try. I won't be upset if the prime comes out past my 30 days since I do enjoy this phone, but I would really like a prime.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Battery and hardware are getting better. I got 16 hours on moderate use on the Bionic today. In my book, that is freaking phenomenal.

grundyman

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Waiting in line ducks and is boring. If it makes economical sense, then wait. Is there a definite on what phone is better? I think that is relative. I passed on the SG2 because it does not suit my needs. The Bionic was offered to me by Verizon with unlimited LTE data And unlimited LTE hotspot. I have Always had good experiences with motorola and the call quality is top notch (phone first.) For my needs and budget, the Bionic smoked the Vapor prime every day of the week. I can always get the prime, but unlimited LTE? Get what suits Your needs, and if you need to wait, wait. Remember, just because it is read on the Internet doesn't make it true. When the prime gets here, go check it out! Good luck. The Bionic is a beast, and ICS being built around the omap will bring this phone great things to come to compete with the prime and iphone 4S. There will NEVER be a "best" device, just a device that is Best for you.

I recommend reading the Bionic section here. You can compare that to rumors and decide for yourself! Best advice I have given all day.

I think this is the worst advice you've given all day. Sounds like all bull****. I doubt very much if Verizon is gonna give anyone unlimited lte hotspot. If you take one look at the charge , and just imagine it improving , you'll be sold instantainisly . Just wait , don't listen to this dude. He has no valid points on why the bionic is better

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Battery and hardware are getting better. I got 16 hours on moderate use on the Bionic today. In my book, that is freaking phenomenal.

On 4G????? I have 4G in my city. I have to charge in the middle of the day. I get about 6 hours of moderate to heavy use. But again.... With 4G on all the time.

Do you know of a widget that will turn 4G on and off?

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I betcha that the Prime's battery life will be much worse than the Bionic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

No one can really say that based on anything other than pure speculation. It's supposedly built to utilize the dual core processor to the max, which should actually save power. I see from your sig you have a Bionic and are obviously going to be partial to that at this point, but speculating on a rumored device's battery life when we don't even have one concrete spec on it is a little far in advance.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
On 4G????? I have 4G in my city. I have to charge in the middle of the day. I get about 6 hours of moderate to heavy use. But again.... With 4G on all the time.

Do you know of a widget that will turn 4G on and off?

LTE Switch will give you a widget to turn 4g on and off. Available in the market.

I can second the battery life out of the bionic as well. I got through a 12 hour day easily on 4g all day long. This was with moderate use.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
No one can really say that based on anything other than pure speculation. It's supposedly built to utilize the dual core processor to the max, which should actually save power. I see from your sig you have a Bionic and are obviously going to be partial to that at this point, but speculating on a rumored device's battery life when we don't even have one concrete spec on it is a little far in advance.

You mean ICS will use dual core to the max? Then it will be a wash when other devices get upgraded.

Also, since you have said that the poster you quoted and I are biased because we own bionics... perhaps you are biased because you returned your's to wait for the prime.

It depresses the hell out of me, but I think I'll be returning mine tomorrow or the next day. I wanted to love this phone, and I think it's a good piece of hardware, but I shouldn't have to convince myself to keep it. The screen honestly isn't that much of a problem for me, but the battery life definitely is. The bigger issue is that I know the Nexus is coming and if its already hanging over my head now, it's only going to be worse after it releases.

Like I said, I'm sure it will be better...it's just in what way and how big the differences are.

Last edited:

BringItSon

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
LTE Switch will give you a widget to turn 4g on and off. Available in the market.

I can second the battery life out of the bionic as well. I got through a 12 hour day easily on 4g all day long. This was with moderate use.

i get 14 hours easy.

i charge only right before i go to sleep.

badbubba

Banned
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I just dont' get this whole fascination with Samsung phones. My wife had 3 Fascinates with Verizon within a 4 month period., before they finally gave her a Droid X. The fascinate was horrible. Multiple lock-ups, missed text and calls. The build quality was no where near The Motorola, HTC or Apple products that I have owned past and present. I have noticed this on all the Samsung phones that I have looked at. The screen in my opinion is way over saturated. If I had a TV with the same characteristic I would return it. All the 3 of my wife, Fascinates suffered from screen burn in. I didn't even think that was possible these days.
Last but not least, it seems that Samsung is very slow to issue updates when compared to the other major players, and there support could use some serious improving.
I'm not trying to ruffle any ones feathers. This is just my opinion. I will admit I own the Bionic, and am very happy with it, but I have no loyalty to it. I would gladly sell it if the Prime or whatever the next great thing is turns out to be better. I just feel the Samsung products are way over hyped.

NeoLogic

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Its not pure speculation. For one I own a Bionic, therefore I know its battery life pretty damn well, and two, I know Samsungs battery life because I've owned two of them, and they are not that great.
So historically, not speculatively, I bet, which means in my opinion the Bionic wins.
Infact, due to the screen, the Bionic has the best battery life to any other Android device I've owned.... which is 5 others, OG, DX, Continuum, Xperia Play, and Charge.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk