Is the subsidized N1 also unlocked?

gchild00

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick question for you guys...been debating about getting the unsub vs. the subsidized N1...just wanted to know if the subsidized version is unlock as well

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, both are unlocked. I remember that from the interview as well. Other sources, CNET I believe, have said both are unlocked.

Google needs to go back to marketing 101, cuz no one knows that both are unlocked and that's a big selling point.

inrelief

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Its' a GSM phone -- you can swap out the SIM card.
By "locked" it means you're locked in to a contract and can't bail out without an ETF.

jesseshangout

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Its' a GSM phone -- you can swap out the SIM card.
By "locked" it means you're locked in to a contract and can't bail out without an ETF.

Wrong answer. Locked means that the phone will only accept SIM from the carrier it it "locked" to. You must SIM unlock a phone to use any carrier. The N1 comes SIM unlocked out of the box, both subsidized and unsubsidized.

inrelief

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Wrong answer. Locked means that the phone will only accept SIM from the carrier it it "locked" to. You must SIM unlock a phone to use any carrier. The N1 comes SIM unlocked out of the box, both subsidized and unsubsidized.

touche.
(additional text to let my message post)

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I moved to AT&T from T-mobile a few years ago, but traditionally, they've been the best about providing unlock codes for their locked phones for good/pay on time customers, often even under 1 year into a contract - not that they let you out of the contract. The last Treo I asked for them to unlock was via email request with no questions on my request whatsoever.
ADS

gracyj

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree with jesseshangout. If your mobile is unlocked you can contact your service provider or try online sites. I unlocked my mobile at prounlocking.com within minutes.

Reactions: Harshini P

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile n1 and actually want to go to Att since I am moving to Fairbanks Alaska and tmobile does not have service there. My unlocked tmobile n1 is pretty useless on att network as it will not use the att 3g bands. I don't want to pay for 3g and get only edge. The unlocked n1 is pointless in my opinion.