Is there a way to set the default behavior of the volume rocker (set to Media control)

DanOverHere

Sep 16, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

This is regarding a 1st generation Pixel running Android 10.

[Issue]
I want the volume rocker to always control Media.
Is there a built in setting somewhere in Android that I'm not seeing?

[History]
In Android 8 and lower, the rocker used to control Ringer volume by default.
I absolutely never have the need to adjust my ringer volume.
It's like a car seat, I set it to what I want and leave it.
If I need quiet, I use the Do Not Disturb button.

Media, on the other hand, I need to adjust constantly.
If I'm in public or a quiet place like a library, I want to adjust the volume down BEFORE some video or song starts blasting away disturbing people.

I used to use an app specifically to force the volume rocker to always control Media. But that's clunky and you have to trust the app developer.

In Android 9, the default behavior changed to always control Media and I was super happy! (Although I'm reading that lots of people don't like it that way.)

I don't know exactly when it happened, but the rocker now controls the Ringer again, with an extra visual control on screen to adjust media.

[Questions]
Is this the new default behavior or is this unintended?
If this is the new default, is this configurable in the OS without resorting to a third party app?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the new default. I can say many hated or had issues with the media only approach to the Vol rocker, myself included. Like you however I had very little reason to adjust my ring volume, I did like being able to use it to silence the device or put in on vibrate, but otherwise this was lost on me why it defaulted to the ringer. While I found the media default more useful it would have been nice to keep the dropdown and have other volume controls available. As for Android 10, I would guess that this is the result of the complaints over Android 9's change. It reminds me of the GPS toggle back in Gingerbread I believe, where they took app control away and forced users to either leave GPS "on" all of the time or manually turn it on when needed... I think it took two OS updates before returning it and now half the phone won't work without it so you pretty much have to leave it on.

Anyway, what's the answer to your issue? I don't know, but my reply should pop your post back up towards the top and the night community around here sometimes have a few more answers. It's all about the right eyes seeing your post.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

This is regarding a 1st generation Pixel running Android 10.

[Issue]
I want the volume rocker to always control Media.
Is there a built in setting somewhere in Android that I'm not seeing?

[History]
In Android 8 and lower, the rocker used to control Ringer volume by default.
I absolutely never have the need to adjust my ringer volume.
It's like a car seat, I set it to what I want and leave it.
If I need quiet, I use the Do Not Disturb button.

Media, on the other hand, I need to adjust constantly.
If I'm in public or a quiet place like a library, I want to adjust the volume down BEFORE some video or song starts blasting away disturbing people.

I used to use an app specifically to force the volume rocker to always control Media. But that's clunky and you have to trust the app developer.

In Android 9, the default behavior changed to always control Media and I was super happy! (Although I'm reading that lots of people don't like it that way.)

I don't know exactly when it happened, but the rocker now controls the Ringer again, with an extra visual control on screen to adjust media.

[Questions]
Is this the new default behavior or is this unintended?
If this is the new default, is this configurable in the OS without resorting to a third party app?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
The answer to that question often lies with what skin an OEM puts over Android.

DanOverHere

Sep 16, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for both replies.

As far as skins, one of the main reasons I went with the Pixel was because it's so close to stock Android.
I bought it from Google direct and made no modifications.

As of about two hours ago, the default behavior is back to controlling only the media controls.
I have no explanation.
I've changed no settings, installed no apps or updates (manually), haven't even rebooted.
Very odd, but I'm not complaining.

I'd still like to know if this is configurable.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for both replies.

As far as skins, one of the main reasons I went with the Pixel was because it's so close to stock Android.

As of about two hours ago, the default behavior is back to controlling only the media controls.
I have no explanation.
I've changed no settings, installed no apps or updates (manually), haven't even rebooted.

Before I got rid of my 3XL I was running 10 beta and don't recall any default configuration for the volume. I don't know if that changed with the public release.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for both replies.

I have no explanation.

Most of Android phones by default the volume button controls media first .