Is there a way to stop Snapchat resetting itself while in the background?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

It's well known that, while I love everything else about Android, Snapchat here is very much inferior to it's iOS version.

One thing that annoys me in particular, which I presume it more to do with android than the actual app itself, is the way things are handled while the app is in the background.

On iOS, if you are in the middle of a conversation with someone and you change to another app quickly, as long as you leave the conversation on screen as you exit and go back to home, or flip to the other app, it remains in the background and is still waiting there for you when you come back. You only trigger Snap's well known feature of wiping things when you come out of the conversation back to the contacts list.

On android, it's handled differently in the background. If you change to another app and put snap into the background, or if the phone screen locks, you only have around 10 or 20 seconds to bring snap back to the front again. After that Android seems to remove it from RAM and when you flip back to it, it reloads it again from scratch, wiping the conversation. I'm forever losing track of what I was talking about or missing people's messages because of this.

Is there a way to keep it properly running in the background or freezing it's state, so that no matter how long you leave it, when you bring it back it brings you to the same place rather than reloading from scratch?

Kev

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

How things that aren't actively onscreen are handled has more to do with the device than with Google or Android. Holding apps in suspension in the background has more to do with how much RAM the device has. If your device has a low amount of RAM or you open some heavy RAM using apps, your background apps can become just a list of recent apps.

To receive notifications when others reply to your thread and to leave comments of your own please take a minute to create an account. It will help you communicate and get help. This link will guide you through how to do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree with VidJunky -- it's important to know which phone you have. Some phone manufacturers go overboard with aggressive RAM management in the firmware, which kills apps in the background too quickly in a misguided attempt to improve battery life. See this: https://dontkillmyapp.com/

If you don't want this kind of headache, stick with phones that don't do this, like Pixels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa