Is there a way to switch where you get firmware updates from?

D4v30

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Recently purchased a LG V60, it was a renewed phone and turns out it's from Sprint/T-mobile.

The software and firmware updates seem to be coming from t-mobile, even though we're not with them and we're in Canada. I'm concerned at some point they could just cut us off since we're not on their network plus I'm fussing their updates come out much later then the manufacturer's updates. Also, after the update it pops up a message saying to contact my carrier to configure the phone, not sure what that means but doesn't seem good.

Is there a way to set the phone to get it's updates from LG directly instead of from t-mobile?

D4v30

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
There is no way to set your device from LG directly. How did you verify that they are coming from T-Mobile as opposed to your current carrier?

The update dialog says it's from t-mobile and how great they are for providing you the latest updates. A bit concerned that this will cause problems going forward.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The update dialog says it's from t-mobile and how great they are for providing you the latest updates. A bit concerned that this will cause problems going forward.
I don't think it will because I received updates on a LG for it's normal years without a SIM. In fact I received an update past it's life cycle a few months ago because it some kind of critical update. I'm not sure if you can flash different firmware on an LG but @mustang7757 might know.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't think it will because I received updates on a LG for it's normal years without a SIM. In fact I received an update past it's life cycle a few months ago because it some kind of critical update. I'm not sure if you can flash different firmware on an LG but @mustang7757 might know.
Lg phones Im not familiar with, but if its sim unlocked then what ever carrier sim should dictate the update, if its similar to Samsung phones .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante