Is your LED light on the A5 2017 yellowish in color?

galaxyss1

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
In every other smartphone that I've owned, the LED in the back for the camera is often white in color. But in the A5 2017 that I got recently, the LED has a yellowish color instead. Is that normal? Did they just cheap out on the LED for this low-mid range phone? I'd imagine a white light is better for picture taking than a yellowish one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you noticing that color when looking at the LED flash directly, or do you notice it in photos taken with flash?

galaxyss1

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I notice it when turning it on as a flashlight or when taking photos. The light is orangey yellow, unlike the bright white LED light I'm used to in pretty much every other smartphone I've owned, including a 2 year old Samsung Galaxy. Not sure if it's meant to be like this as part of the parts chosen by Samsung this time around, or if my unit is 'defective' although it certainly still 'works' as a light. I'm just not a huge fan of the yellowish light, like most incandescent lightbulbs.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree, that doesn't seem right. The LED flash needs to be white -- otherwise, flash photography will end up with odd yellowish tinges. If you got it from a store, bring it back and see if you can compare it with another unit. Otherwise, ask for an exchange. If it's too late to do it at the store, then contact Samsung for warranty repair or replacement.

Just in case -- there's no protective plastic film over the LED flash, is there?

galaxyss1

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
It's not yellow yellow. It's the kind of tinge you get with an incandescent or halogen lightbulb versus a typical bright white LED or fluorescent light. No protective plastic.

In all my past devices the LEDs are bright white. This one is not and not a fan. I'll check store phones when I find time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa