It's 2021 & we still can't get good quality video/images iphone to android

May 27, 2021
Visit site
Seriously this is ridiculous. Trying to text someone a video or picture is a joke. Videos especially... iPhone to Android and/or Android to iPhone. The quality is so massively degraded that it's literally unwatchable. Why cant this just work how it should.. its 2021 and still cant get it right?

And no email, google photos, google drive, telegram, whatsapp etc aren't solutions. They are bandaids. I shouldnt have to be like "oh hey what's your email" or "can you sign up for telegram so I can send you this video?!". That's ridiculous. The media file should be sent inline with the text conversaiton. PERIOD.

All I heard since like 2015 was RCS RCS RCS! The end of media degradation!!! RCS! RCS! RCS! Well hasn't RCS been here for a while now? I literally havent seen any change in anything other than I can see people type when using Verizon messages as my texting app.

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Seriously this is ridiculous. Trying to text someone a video or picture is a joke. Videos especially... iPhone to Android and/or Android to iPhone. The quality is so massively degraded that it's literally unwatchable. Why cant this just work how it should.. its 2021 and still cant get it right?

And no email, google photos, google drive, telegram, whatsapp etc aren't solutions. They are bandaids. I shouldn't have to be like "oh hey what's your email" or "can you sign up for telegram so I can send you this video?!". That's ridiculous. The media file should be sent inline with the text conversation. PERIOD.

All I heard since like 2015 was RCS RCS RCS! The end of media degradation!!! RCS! RCS! RCS! Well hasn't RCS been here for a while now? I literally haven't seen any change in anything other than I can see people type when using Verizon messages as my texting app.

i believe its done intentionally to make people stay with their OS. Apple doesn't lose many b/c of their well working ecosystem. Blows for us with friends who have iOS

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This is entirely on the carriers (and Apple). The carriers need to support RCS, and APPLE needs to support RCS, in order for this to work the same as a text. I know that Verizon and Google Fi can exchange RCS messages (I'm on Fi, my sister on Verizon and we can exchange RCS messages), but we both have Android devices (she has a Samsung, I have a Pixel).

The limiting factor of exchanging media over SMS/MMS is the protocol itself, it was developed in the days of pagers/beepers.

The biggest roadblock here is Apple adding support for RCS to the platform.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Most of the carriers are still dragging their feet on RCS.

By default iPhone users don't use SMS to "text". They use the iMessage instant messaging service, similar to WhatsApp and the like. Instant messaging services allow for large files to be sent. However, sending large files is costly to the server owners, which is why most IM services limit the file sizes. Apple chooses to let the iMessage users have no data limits -- and Apple eats the whole cost -- as a loyalty bonus to Apple's customers.

The better solution for "texting" large files is to upload the large files to a file sharing site then send the URL of the file in the message.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Only way to not degrade iphone video to Android I send share link from Google Photos... Videos keep quality iPhone to iPhone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robot sirkit