Jellybean/Franco kernel Mishap, HELP

mhpspeed

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The Problem: My phone is stuck on the Google Splash screen and wont boot past it, I have to remove the battery to do anything. When powering up I can hold down the power and volume - and get the "ODIN MODE" with the big start banner to press the power button again. But thats it, I can get into CWMR or anything, it just hangs at the Google Splash.

How it happened: I was running the developer preview of 4.1 from the day after it was released, and got the update for Franco.kernel today that it was ready for Jelly Bean, I went to auto flash it and clicked the "Auto Flash Milestone4" which I am assuming was my first mistake, should have gone with the nightly, but it still looked outdated at r196 or something.

Anyway, my fault, should of slowed down instead of blasting threw the menu's but I was excited to get better battery life and options with the new kernel.

Anyone have any tips? I am at work so I wont be able to plug it into ADB till I get home around 5 pm EST, but I would still be lost at that. I assume I will have to restore the factory image to get it out of this. But if anyone knows anything I could do on the phone side in the time being it would be helpful.

Thanks,

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The Problem: My phone is stuck on the Google Splash screen and wont boot past it, I have to remove the battery to do anything. When powering up I can hold down the power and volume - and get the "ODIN MODE" with the big start banner to press the power button again. But thats it, I can get into CWMR or anything, it just hangs at the Google Splash.

How it happened: I was running the developer preview of 4.1 from the day after it was released, and got the update for Franco.kernel today that it was ready for Jelly Bean, I went to auto flash it and clicked the "Auto Flash Milestone4" which I am assuming was my first mistake, should have gone with the nightly, but it still looked outdated at r196 or something.

Anyway, my fault, should of slowed down instead of blasting threw the menu's but I was excited to get better battery life and options with the new kernel.

Anyone have any tips? I am at work so I wont be able to plug it into ADB till I get home around 5 pm EST, but I would still be lost at that. I assume I will have to restore the factory image to get it out of this. But if anyone knows anything I could do on the phone side in the time being it would be helpful.

Thanks,

You go to ODIN MODE instead of the Bootloader when you hold down all volume + power when the phone is off? Hm.

I'm not familiar with ODIN, so that's out of my range of knowledge and I can't help you there. But if you get to the bootloader, you can simply reflash everything.

Also, I would hesitate in using his app to flash unless it absolutely says it's for Jelly Bean.

mhpspeed

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I am an idiot.

I was holding down volume down and not up also at the same time, got into recovery and flashing my latest backup.

Ignore my rook mistake.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I am an idiot.

I was holding down volume down and not up also at the same time, got into recovery and flashing my latest backup.

Ignore my rook mistake.

LOL, happens to the best of us, don't worry.

If your backup does NOT work, wipe data like 3 times, wipe cache a few times, wipe dalvik, format /system, and then flash a JB rom.

That should do the trick; if neither works, you either need to revert to stock or try re-flashing a custom recovery and adb pushing a rom to the /sdcard/.

mhpspeed

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
yeah, I was just overlooking the obvious and freaking,

"ZOMG, ITS STUCK!111 ITS BRICKED!!!11"

Back up and running on an ICS backup and looking for a new JB Rom. Thanks for reminding me about both volume buttons!

imnotajedi

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I did the same thing. I forgot to hold down both volume buttons. Once in recover I re-flashed and it was all better. You have to download the kernal seperately.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
yeah, I was just overlooking the obvious and freaking,

"ZOMG, ITS STUCK!111 ITS BRICKED!!!11"

Back up and running on an ICS backup and looking for a new JB Rom. Thanks for reminding me about both volume buttons!

Jelly Belly is my preferred port of the moment, FWIW :).

grydrgn

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Nightly franco didn't work either - in the process for restoring backup after failing to boot. Downloaded and installed from recovery so I'm not sure why. I am running bixie's stock, rooted and detoxed Jelly Bean.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Nightly franco didn't work either - in the process for restoring backup after failing to boot. Downloaded and installed from recovery so I'm not sure why. I am running bixie's stock, rooted and detoxed Jelly Bean.

Franco's Jelly Bean kernels must be downloaded separately, not from within the app. They are not included in his app yet.

There is a link to his JB kernels in the JB guide. :)

Reactions: grydrgn

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I though my bricked my phone but it took like 10 mins from the Google Splash screen to boot up. My wife's phone had the same issue, its weird but in the end....it works!

aldino12345

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello yes im srry i am a noob at all kernal and rom but i hav a galaxy s blaze 4g and i was on jelly bean 4.1.2 and used franco.kernal didnt know what it was, after that told me to reboot i clikcked ok then just stayed turned off i then tried alot of atemps but nothin so can u please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Srry for caps lock

hkll

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I installed Franco to my Lg Optimus G and I can boot the phone up and everything but the screen doesn't work. I was able to remember where some of the buttons were and I could navigate around to phone so I know it's a screen issue. I clicked the volume buttons and everything and I heard the sound. I'm running CarbonRom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol