July 19th CNet reports S7 Active failed 2 out of 4 water tests

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Im kinda wondering where the leak is occurring , but also why is this such a big deal? is everybody wanting to go swimming with their phone? About the only time my phone would ever get wet is if I happen to get caught in the rain while hiking (which has happened with my note 4) but I still have a waterproof storage bag I put it in to protect the phone in my pack

I can't speak for anyone beside myself but it sucks for me because I bought this phone specifically after suffering water damage to my iPhone 6 Plus. I had traded in my original S4 Active when I got that phone. I figured it would be good to go in a Lifeproof case. Worked fine for a year and a half but got a significant amount of water in it after ten minutes of submersion in about 2.5 feet of water.

Yeah, I could have gotten any Galaxy now and had IP68 protection. But with the Active designed to be more rugged out of the box combined w/ the physical buttons, I figured it'd be the best choice for me, again.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Samsung has not said where the leak is happening but I did hear somewhere it was around the power port. Now the reason its causing such an uproar is that it was sold as ip68 certified and it doesn't hold up. Some folks here are saying even a little splash on the phone is causing it to go all wonky obviously if that happens its a problem. I live in a environment where we get rain all the time, so the ability to with stand water is important. I went with the Active because I have tile floors in the whole house and I am a clutz so better safe than sorry. Its still in a unicorn beetle sup case for added protection. No I don't want to take mine swimming but if it gets wet by a pool or at a activity it should hold up to it. Hope that helps, I cant speak for everyone but that's my two cents. (and probably overcharging at that lol)

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
And it's not just swimming and/or dunking the phone in water. The reason I bought my S4 Active was because two years of carrying my iPhone 4s while running basically caused the bottom half of the phone to completely rust away.

I think the real reason for the uproar, if you can call it that, is just because of the way Samsung and AT&T are responding to this. I mean, this was caught quick and Samsung has repeatedly stated they believe it was only a small amount of phones affected. If they KNOW it's a defect that could lead to failure, why not offer those that want it a new replacement without having to prove our phones failed? And, unless we all went over to consumer reports and complained there, there are folks making the very same point in their comment section.

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I am about 80% sure Im going with the active though Im not real thrilled with the factory overlay on the screen plus the physical buttons...The regular s7 would be a no-brainer for me except I think the phone is too fragile as is and putting a case on it will eventually scratch or wear on the finish of the phone anyway...the glass back looks pretty but I think is a huge mistake due to breakage

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I put a glass screen protector on mine and it went on beautifully. Not a single bubble or spec of dust. Even with it, the display is very vivid and light years beyond my iPhone 6 Plus.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I put mine in a unicorn beetle case with a built in screen protector, but I'm still going to put some glass over it just for that extra layer of OH CRAP.