Keyboard/screen issues on 3 week old Nexus 7

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Recently purchased the Nexus 7 2013 model after having owned an iPad2 for a number of years. Really wanted to try the Google ecosystem, and my son uses the iPad all the time.

Recently have been having lots of issues with the keyboard not popping up when it should, or popping up then immediately disappearing, or most oddly, popping up and not showing up on the screen but if I type where the keyboard should be the letters come up as if it is there (hard to explain, kind of like the keyboard is function able but invisible).

The other "issue" is that the screen doesn't seem sensitive enough at times. Eg, typing this paragraph missed several letters, or for instance on websites I really have to press hard press a second time to get a link to work. But scrolling up/down, etc seems to work fine which is odd.

I know the tablet had so issues when it was first out but thought they were fixed?

I've tried doing a full reboot, to no avail. Anyone else experiencing the keyboard issue in particular?

Thx

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry to hear about your problems. They sure sound like some of the initial issues that were cropping up. Are you sure your device is completely up to date in terms of system updates? Go to Settings/About Tablet/System Updates to check.

If you're up to date, then tell us what you mean by "full reboot." Was it a simple power down and power back on, or did you do a full factory data reset, wiping the whole device? A simple reboot probably won't fix something like this. You might try a system cache partition wipe, which clears out temporary system data that can sometimes mess things up, especially after a system update:

1. If your tablet is on, power it off.

2. Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.

3. Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.

4. Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.

5. While holding down Power, press Volume Up.

6. Use the volume keys to scroll to "wipe cache partition" and press Power to select it.

7. When complete, highlight "reboot system now" and press Power.

Posted via Android Central App

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, just wiped the cache.

System is up to date.

If I do have to try another system reset, is there a way to save application settings and game levels?

Can already tell there is still an issue with the screen sensitivity.

dmiller440

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the Nexus 7 LTE and recently saw these 2 red blotches show up on the side of the screen by the camera. Any ideas on what this is? I did call google support and they suggest full reset and if that did not work, a replacement would be in order.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? It is only visible when on black screens.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nexus 7 LTE and recently saw these 2 red blotches show up on the side of the screen by the camera. Any ideas on what this is? I did call google support and they suggest full reset and if that did not work, a replacement would be in order.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? It is only visible when on black screens.

Any way you can take a photo of the screen and post it?

dmiller440

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
This is a good shot of the Red blotches. Only seems to be visible on the Black/Grey screens. Google is asking me to reset the device and see if that helps. If not, they have offered to send a new one.

See attachedRed Blotch on Nexus 7 2013 screen.jpg
Any way you can take a photo of the screen and post it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting the picture. It kind of looks like the blotchiness that can normally be seen on a lot of phone and tablet LCD screens on a dark background. It's not necessarily a defect--I've seen similar blotchiness on virtually every device I've ever had. But it's hard for me to tell for sure--looking at it firsthand would still be better than looking at a photo, no matter how high quality the photo was. Is it completely unnoticeable on any background besides a black one?

dmiller440

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I can only notice it while on a black screen. Does not seem to appear with Apps or other colored backgrounds. Can I change the background color while looking at photos? That would perhaps allow me to play around and see if it shows up with other colors.
Thanks for posting the picture. It kind of looks like the blotchiness that can normally be seen on a lot of phone and tablet LCD screens on a dark background. It's not necessarily a defect--I've seen similar blotchiness on virtually every device I've ever had. But it's hard for me to tell for sure--looking at it firsthand would still be better than looking at a photo, no matter how high quality the photo was. Is it completely unnoticeable on any background besides a black one?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not aware of a way to change the background color. There's probably some YouTube video that will cycle through a palette of colors, so you can see if those blotches are noticeable with any particular color.

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

So you called Google support vs Asus?

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the procedure to wipe partition cache, which I just ran. I got my N7 in mid-October. It says the system is up to date (build JSS15R). I've had intermittent problems with the touchscreen, often being with links not working in Firefox, but going beyond that too. A few days ago the touchscreen would not work at all. I was unable to unlock the lock screen (which I have set to a pattern unlock). No touch or tap would register. Holding the power button brought up the onscreen options for power off, airplane mode, and silent mode, but the touchscreen wouldn't work for any of those either (is there a way to power off without using the touchscreen?). This persisted for many minutes. I set it aside and started browsing through this forum, and when I went back to it, the touchscreen was working again.

I really like the N7 a lot and hope this problem gets fixed, or that if it persists I can get a warranty replacement. It's a bit frustrating at times.

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Playing with the 7 some more. The biggest issue seems to be with trying to touch small links. Eg, if someone could try this, go to the main siteof TSN Sports News & Headlines | Score Results, Standings | Schedules, go to the full website version vs the mobile version.

Then say click on the small NHL link o get to the main page. Sometmes I have to hit that several times or zoom on the screen and then hit it again. Then try to click on say "Scores" or "standinfpgs" under that (even smaller links) and several times It won't work at all. Less problems if I zoom.

Must be a touch screen issue, and unfortunately I bught this from a retailer and not the Google store so will probably have to go through Asus support?

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
... And now the GPS has stopped working. Frustrating. I thought these issues were resolved months ago. Don't have time to chase down Google,or Asus or Future shop where I bought this thing.

Fr3lncr

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
... And now the GPS has stopped working. Frustrating. I thought these issues were resolved months ago. Don't have time to chase down Google,or Asus or Future shop where I bought this thing.

if you are within your two week return window at FS, you can try swapping it for another one. The holiday return policy kicked in so if you get another one now, you'll have until January 5th to return it.

I just returned mine yesterday at BestBuy so I'm on my third N7 and it still has touchscreen issues (worse than my 2nd one, not as bad as my 1st one). If Kit Kat doesn't fix it, it will go back but at least now I have until January 5th for updates and such.

It seems to be really luck of the draw to get a good one of these things. My first two were built in July and the one I have now is September.

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm not, so will wait for 4.4 and if that doesn't help, start the calling and complaining process.

Christina Kadlec

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm not, so will wait for 4.4 and if that doesn't help, start the calling and complaining process.
I had the nexus 7 LTE for a year and never had a problem. After the year the charging port went bad and best buy replaced it for me since it was still under warranty. I now have had the new one a few weeks and it is also giving me alot of trouble with the keyboard and typing. I tried the cache wipe and it did seem to correct the problem at least for now. I did it yesterday, so almost 24 hours with no problems. Hopefully this fixed the problem for good. I will update if the problem returns.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire