Keyboard stays on top?

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
Hello,
Anyone know why the on-screen keyboard stays active after I return to the home screen? It is easy enough to get rid of, but it should auto disappear..

AR

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240330-183959.png
    Screenshot_20240330-183959.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Haven't ever seen that before. Which model phone and software version?
Have you gone thru your keyboard settings — checking if you've got any 'On top' or notification settings set that enables your keyboard to open on top of your homescreen?

I use Gboard, and I keep all noti's turned-off, and all permissions not allowed.

If you're using Gboard, you can go to: Settings > Apps > Gboard > Storage ... and clear the cache, also the data — if you don't mind having to reset your keyboard settings.
And whilst at: Settings > Apps > Gboard ... you can tap on 'Force stop'.
And if no joy, you could uninstall and re-install whichever keyboard you're using.
Other than that, the more knowledgeable folks around here may have further ideas on remedies.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just saw something similar on my wife's Pixel 7, but it seemed associated with Google Maps -- for some reason, Gboard wasn't coming up when tapping the Search box in Google Maps, and then when I went back to the homescreen, Gboard showed up there. I think it resolved after a reboot. If this is only happening after accessing certain apps, try clearing the app cache for those apps.

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
Hello,
Pixel 8, Android 14
I'm using the default keyboard, I do have nova installed, but unused.. transferred from my last phone.
I have re-started, and reset the gboard cache, no joy. Personally I think it is a bug, and google wil get round to fixing one day. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
Pixel 8, Android 14
I'm using the default keyboard, I do have nova installed, but unused.. transferred from my last phone.
I have re-started, and reset the gboard cache, no joy. Personally I think it is a bug, and google wil get round to fixing one day. :)
Does it happen only after using a specific app, like Google Maps? If so, try clearing the app cache and data for that app.

Make sure to send feedback to Google from the system settings about this.