Kit Kat & SD Cards

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Could someone please confirm or deny the assertion that 4.2.2 no longer supports SD cards for 3rd party apps. Many thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) using Tapatalk Pro

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Could someone please confirm or deny the assertion that 4.2.2 no longer supports SD cards for 3rd party apps. Many thanks!

If you mean KitKat 4.4.2, it moves app to the external SD card just fine. I just did it to Adobe Acrobat.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
If you mean KitKat 4.4.2, it moves app to the external SD card just fine. I just did it to Adobe Acrobat.

My bad. I do mean KK 4.4.2. I'm not rooted & my backup app provider stated that this version (4.4.2) no longer supports data storage on SD cards. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. The company is RerWare & the app is MyBackupPro.

lsutigers03

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I can still move apps but only the app. The large amount of additional data that games and other apps have can't be moved if your phone is stock.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
That was a very interesting article. The only thing that might cause the average person trouble is the fact that uninstalling an app would delete anything it's saved on the SD card, with no warning. I agree with what he says about how this approach seems to conflict with the drive to use Android for devices like cameras. I guess if you have another app you use instead of the stock Camera, this could cause you trouble. As long as I'm still able to move things around with FX Manager (I like it better than My Files), I should be ok as I don't use my phone to create content other than photographs. But the minute someone says "I'll be ok because I only use my phone to..." you are seeing a limit that appears to me to contradict the drive for mobile devices running Android to be able to do everything.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
That was a very interesting article. The only thing that might cause the average person trouble is the fact that uninstalling an app would delete anything it's saved on the SD card, with no warning. I agree with what he says about how this approach seems to conflict with the drive to use Android for devices like cameras. I guess if you have another app you use instead of the stock Camera, this could cause you trouble. As long as I'm still able to move things around with FX Manager (I like it better than My Files), I should be ok as I don't use my phone to create content other than photographs. But the minute someone says "I'll be ok because I only use my phone to..." you are seeing a limit that appears to me to contradict the drive for mobile devices running Android to be able to do everything.

Very well put. Essentially, I now have to review all of my apps to determine where info is stored. I use ES Explorer frequently.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
That's why I'm avoiding the upgrade at all cost bad enough I have to use boot atrap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tammy0929