KitKat 4.4.4 Officially available for the Z1s!

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I can't speak about the Z1s, but every other android phone that I have owned lost root when updating or the update failed.
My suggestion is that you un-root it, apply the update than redo the rooting process. Several folks on the XDA forums have reported success in rooting the Z1s post update.

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
For me, the battery seems about the same and the phone is noticeably smoother. As for the google launcher... meh! i didn't like it. trying to arrange widgets and icons on the screen is very annoying.

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
So Luke,and everyone else who has updated, would you still recommend using this ? I'm always worried based on Sony's unpredictable upgrade track record.( Like the horrific Xperia Z Kit Kat upgrade.)

So far, everything is running very well, better in fact! I haven't stumbled upon any bugs yet.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
So Luke,and everyone else who has updated, would you still recommend using this ? I'm always worried based on Sony's unpredictable upgrade track record.( Like the horrific Xperia Z Kit Kat upgrade.)

I haven't noticed any bugs as of yet. Performance is noticeably snappier (and I get less home screen redraws) and battery life is roughly the same or marginally better.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
First impression. Alot faster. But... Battery life SUCKS.... And, didn't like Google launcher. Sony launcher is.. Simple. Easier.

Posted via Android Central App
I completely agree about the launcher. I tried the Google one and went back to Sony immediately. Much better.
Battery life is better for me.

josegb2011

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Everything smooth for me so far just wish they added the ART option in developer settings.

staticK78

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I too noticed absolutely horrible battery life after the update. I did a hard reset & battery life has been much better today. Also remember, after a massive update like this the battery does take 2-3 cycles to recalibrate.

Posted via the Android Central App

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So after a few days with kitkat, everything seemed fine, better than before, but I've noticed that the touchscreen issue that was present is now worse. Sometimes it is impossible just to scroll a page or type something without the screen suddenly not registering a touch. It's like I lifted my finger, when I didn't.

staticK78

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you still have the shatter resistant film on your phone? I've noticed when the film gets really dirty/oily from my skin it does that.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I still have the film. The display problem persists no matter how clean and dry it is.

Interestingly, Google wallet tap to pay is suddenly available. It wasn't the day after I updated to kitkat.

tcrosby86

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Also my battery drain has been a fair bit worse since update. I've power cycled my phone at least 15 times since update.

Spydre-Venom

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I was SO excited to finally be able to get the KitKat Upgrade, and it's all working well except for the limits they have put on SD Card Access in the name of security now. That is very irritating to me and making it difficult to use some of my file managers. Is there a safe way to root the Z1S on KitKat? I really don't want to brick my phone but would like my functionality back for my SD Card.

anon(8938849)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Anyone noticed that Sony brought back the old touch sound? I'll admit I missed that little ting. I know many people turn the touch sounds off, and I usually do too. But that sound is nostalgic to me I guess, reminds me of my first xperia z device a while back.

On another note, its just a damn shame the way tmobile treats Sony phones. I recently tried a G3 for a week and returned it and bought the Z1s for a second time. I don't like how old it is and how it will probable never see another update and how stupid t-mobile changed it from metal to plastic. I'm trying to get the unlocked Z2 before my two weeks is up so I can return this.

Bkr11

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Installed the update last night, so I've only goofed off with this for a few minutes. So far seems much more responsive, snappier, etc.

To be honest I went back to my Lumia 1520 (love it except a tad large) a few months ago and have been pretty disappointed with this phone. Hopefully this changes all of that. So far so good!

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed when bringing up the android version easter egg that instead of a "k" it's the number "1" instead?

Attachments

• 261.jpg
    261.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 8