KitKat lockdown - Renders Android Pointless?

xaqattax

May 22, 2014
Visit site
So I have KitKat on an AT&T Note 3. In addition to losing Wi-Fi tethering it's now impossible to root (so far).

So what's the point of Android now? If it's as hard, or dare I say, even harder to root than iOS is to jailbreak what makes it compelling? Sure it's still nice, but losing the ability to customize leaves an "eh" feeling with me.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
As far as WiFi tethering goes, you can still do it, you just have to pay for it! Android is still pretty customizable with a non rooted phone!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I am non-rooted, and I still find Android to be *vastly* more customizable and useful than iOS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So I have KitKat on an AT&T Note 3. In addition to losing Wi-Fi tethering it's now impossible to root (so far).

So what's the point of Android now? If it's as hard, or dare I say, even harder to root than iOS is to jailbreak what makes it compelling? Sure it's still nice, but losing the ability to customize leaves an "eh" feeling with me.

I've never rooted (and probably never will) and I customize my G2 by using Apex Launcher, HD Widgets, Swiftkey Keyboard, Choice of Browsers (Chrome/Firefox/Dolphin), alternate calendar/email apps, - lots of choices (unlike iOS or WP which are pretty locked down). I have owned a Lumia 521 (no interest in iOS or any Apple device because of the Apple premium) and fail to see the fascination with the textual only Tiles interface ("Live Tiles" are nowhere near as useful as widgets) - try to tell that to WP fanboys and they'll tell you "You just don't get it".

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whytefrank