Lack of desktop/web interface is a non-starter for me. Am I that unique?

johnatthebar

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
So this morning I was really hoping to head to allo.google.com and find some sort of web interface for the new messaging platform - there was none.

I wasn't expecting this mind you, as Google at no point indicated this would be the case, but for me it just seemed so logical. I use Hangouts on my desktops and laptops much of the day. I also use Hangouts on the desktop for SMS (in this way, I realize I'm in the minority). Google knows how many people use Hangouts in their browser or on their desktop - is the number really that low? Am I really and unique? FB messenger, WhatsApp, Hangouts, Skype, Slack, HipChat, etc - they all thought it important enough (I realize a few of those are more business focused).

For me, this is a non-starter, so I'm a bit bummed, but I'm really curious as to how this will impact others when considering it as a day to day messaging platform.

altobobcat

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Fair point although not a deal breaker for me. I think it has features that make it enticing enough to use over other messaging apps that do have a web interface. If and when the novelty of these new features wear off, this would be a legitimate concern.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Op you are far from alone. I am a project Fi user and I enjoy being able to make calls and receive texts from any device I am near. I usually have my phone near by, but when a 3ft usb c cable comes with the phone (longer ones do not support 5A charging), it's nice not to be pressed up against the wall to send or receive a text.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Because I understand the mobile intent for Allo right now, no desktop is not a deal breaker for me.

Tsnstuff

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I use hangouts, FB Messenger on my computer at work all day. Lets face it, I'm going to message some people while at work, I find that doing it on my desktop is a lot faster than grabbing my phone whenever I get a notification. For this same reason I also love using Samsung SideSync, so technically I can control allo from my desktop just fine but it's never as good as a real web interface.

When I forget my phone at home, which doesn't happen much but it happens, I simply log into my Hangouts and text people I care about and let them know that if they need me today to message me there. Allo right now just feels like yet another Messenger or Whatsapp IM client that came way too late, basically another BBM once it came out for non BBs. I'm not going to be able to convince all my friends to switch because I can't even find a good reason for me to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aleftshoe